Great/Interesting Finds

shreebles
Finally 60%

15 Jul 2014, 11:39

I personally don't mind the double posts and think it is okay for a thread like this. It's not a discussion thread where you lose track of a discussion when people keep doubleposting (yes I know I am contradicting myself here by discussing).

Rather in my eyes it is a collection of links for people to check out, posted by members whenever they find them. If you can't post whatever you find when you find it, but are forced to organize everything first, no one would post here anymore, ever. It involves too much work. It doesn't have to be tidy like in "real" discussion threads where doubleposts would be frowned upon.

The links aren't hard to find but it is much more fun to come here and see what Cherry or IBM goodness DT members have dug up, instead of going to eBay and sorting through piles and piles of crap. (e.g. "Real vintage Cherry keyboard!!11" turns out to be G83).

I'd much prefer to have an enormous list of all interesting mechanical keyboards on eBay ATM, that I can scroll through and check out one by one, than a thread where we have to keep telling members to respect forum etiquette.

If they can do the work of finding something shareworthy and sharing it with us (instead of hogging it for themselves) we can do the work of sorting through it! Instead of demanding that it be handed to us on a silver platter. :wink:

Kurk

15 Jul 2014, 12:10

^what he says.
Better than browsing through tons of shit on eBay, marktplaats etc.

Topre Enthusiast

15 Jul 2014, 12:16

Another G80-5K and 5700 combo on Yahoo.
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... m122923818

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

15 Jul 2014, 12:42

Just to get it straight. It does not require any exhausting amount of effort to refrain from clicking post, instead of waiting just 10 minutes to include a few more links in the same post, thus avoiding double posting. Hell, just leave the post window open and add the links while you are browsing eBay, when you are done press post. I'd even say it requires less effort.

I have nothing against the auction links which seebart posts. I admit some are very easy to find and some I would hardly categories as great/interesting finds, but I also believe that it's a matter of perspective and I do appreciate the links that is shared in this thread, since some might find it helpful and it can give some inspiration.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Jul 2014, 12:55

Hypersphere

15 Jul 2014, 13:23

Halvar wrote: A double post has nothing to do though with GH and DT -- it just means two (or more) posts by the same author in the same thread directly following each other without posts by others in between. This is frowned upon in some forums. I don't care much about that. It's actually not comparable to taking 8 seats in a bus, it's all just bits'n'bytes.
Thanks for the clarification.

If an author of a post has a follow-up thought or new information, should he then edit his original post rather than posting again if there are no intervening posts by other authors?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Jul 2014, 13:27

The one thing I do object to posting so many links is that it puts those who search themselves at a disadvantage.

In fact, you can expect that quite anything interesting will be posted here for the convenience of those who are not interested enough to run a search themselves, this way undermining the efforts of the real junkies :lol:
And I am quite sure many readers of this thread are not even DT members, but just external readers.
Spoiler:
Muirium wrote: […] sharing [these links] here is a win for everyone. Well, besides the grumblers. […]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This being said, if such links are posted, I find a battery of posts each linking a single auction better than one single post containing several links.
It is ideal for a short answer (I don't consider it off-topic to say, for example, "this is obviously a G83") which quotes the original link and thus allows immediate understanding of what is meant even when there have been several other posts in-between.

seebart

15 Jul 2014, 13:30

This being said, if such links are posted, I find a battery of posts each linking a single auction better than one single post containing several links.
you guys better make up your mind because I´m gonna keep up my pace one way or another... :lol:

just look at that ITT 701552-003...WANT :o :shock:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Jul 2014, 13:33

Halvar

15 Jul 2014, 13:51

kbdfr wrote:
Muirium wrote: […] sharing [these links] here is a win for everyone. Well, besides the grumblers. […]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sharing [these links] here is a win for everyone. Well, besides those for whom it is a loss. Grumblers. 8-)

seebart

15 Jul 2014, 13:59

sometimes were all a litte bit Grumbly.Nice find kbdfr! Keep it up.

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 14:38

002 wrote: Another G80-5K and 5700 combo on Yahoo.
Damn, I need some friends in Japan…

shreebles
Finally 60%

15 Jul 2014, 14:53

kbdfr wrote: And I am quite sure many readers of this thread are not even DT members, but just external readers.
Why not make the whole marketplace members-only then?
It's customary in most forums.

PS: on topic: that french model M looks quite disgusting :mrgreen:

pasph

15 Jul 2014, 16:00

VINTAGE IBM 3278 DISPLAY STATION KEYBOARD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161360626452
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201124666866
(Copied from GH)

Josh

15 Jul 2014, 16:33

FYI
Sold for 1200GBP (12000CNY) on 03.05.2013
the pics are the same, who will you trust?

scottc

15 Jul 2014, 16:43

Josh wrote:
FYI
Sold for 1200GBP (12000CNY) on 03.05.2013
the pics are the same, who will you trust?
AFAIK, CNY = Chinese Yuan, but that auction should be in Japanese Yen since it's Japanese. Or am I wrong?

If it is Yen, Google tells me it's about 70 GBP...

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 17:31

It's JP¥en!

Mmm… IBMs… mmm… but how to get them over here…

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 19:50

I know who got both of those beam springs. And it wasn't me! (I didn't bid.)

mr_a500

15 Jul 2014, 19:58

Well don't keep us in suspense. Who is this mysterious "a***0(38)"? (I didn't bid either.)

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 20:00

Twirls moustache. "Well, as not to spoil the surprise, I will reveal: he posted on this page!"

scottc

15 Jul 2014, 20:01

I'm hoping for Hypersphere!

mr_a500

15 Jul 2014, 20:09

Muirium wrote: Twirls moustache. "Well, as not to spoil the surprise, I will reveal: he posted on this page!"
There was a dramatic music cue as the camera zoomed up to reveal a shocked look on my face.

(Not really... I expected it to be somebody here. :D )

seebart

15 Jul 2014, 20:10

Unfortunately not me. Too far away.

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 21:35

It was Hypersphere! His second and third beam springs now, I believe. Clearly he's constructing a heavy metal legion.

scottc

15 Jul 2014, 22:06

Wow, quite a collection. I'm quite jealous and very excited to see what you do with them, Hypersphere.

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 22:11

Translation: I too would like to purchase one at some point. (Form an orderly queue, I asked him already!)

scottc

15 Jul 2014, 22:13

Hah, yep! I've used one of these beasts in person, and wow. It really lives up to its hype. It's also arguably the best-looking of them all.

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 22:17

Indeed…

Where did you try one? My taste of beam spring has been at a (nearly) local museum, which happens to have a great white DisplayWriter keyboard.

scottc

15 Jul 2014, 22:19

A friend of mine owns one.

My first taste of F was at the National Museum of Computing in Bletchley Park. I was impressed!

Muirium
µ

15 Jul 2014, 22:38

He of custom keys?

Another museum that lets you try the keyboards, eh? I didn't realise Alan Turing was an IBM man. Learn something new every day!

Return to “Other external”