Great/Interesting Finds

sintklaas73

23 Feb 2016, 09:01

Wodan wrote:
jerue wrote: I'm tempted to pick one of these up simply because it's BNIB but it might benefit you guys more over across the pond :)

Cherry G80-3000 LQMHU (Hungarian ISO, MX Clears?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/cherry-keyboard ... 1943147641
This looks like THIN pbt lasered to me. Also high risk of off-center bottom row caps. Wouldn't take the risk ...
Also be aware there's "Q" keyboards that come with MX Blacks. Make the seller take off a bottom row cap :)

It is thick PBT (deepdish F and J), bottom row is centered (G80, not a G81) and it is very likely it has clears (aka "Softklick").

:D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Feb 2016, 09:35

sintklaas73 wrote: It is thick PBT (deepdish F and J)...
Wrong. Check out that numpad-5. F&J have that bar mark as well if you look closely enough.
Spoiler:
In have a set of caps that looks 100% identical (minus the legends) which has an off-center bottom row and thin PBT.
Just saying ... better have the seller pop a cap before you waste100$
Spoiler:
Last edited by Wodan on 23 Feb 2016, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

tentator

23 Feb 2016, 09:49

And if he pops the cap how can you see if it's thick pbt??

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Feb 2016, 09:56

tentator wrote: And if he pops the cap how can you see if it's thick pbt??
Here's a comparison:
Spoiler:

derzemel

23 Feb 2016, 09:56

tentator wrote: And if he pops the cap how can you see if it's thick pbt??
If the cherry set has F, J and numpad 5 with bars then it is thin lasered PBT. The only ticker keycaps are the stabilized ones. I have 2 cherry boards like this and all the other I have seen like this, they all have been thin lasered.

One other thing you have to keep in mind is that the characters on cherry lasered PBT are not black, but a dark gray.

Also, for anyone wondering, the Board has center stemmed bottom row as it has Cherry MX switches (G80, not g81) but for 100USD it's way too expensive.

tentator

23 Feb 2016, 10:10

I see so it's rather difficult to evaluate the thickness.. also I have an mx8000 keyboard with what I now would say has thin pbt on normal keys but on the legendable caps I think it's thick or at least I like more the feeling of those caps.. they also make a far better sound imho.. not easy to tell their thickness tough.. maybe it's also a matter of the cap being less hollow or kind of stuffed inside..

Did anybody have experience with stuffed caps? I mean maybe by filling the cap hollow with something like glue could improve typing sound and feeling? ;)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Feb 2016, 10:12

The only Cherry relegendables I know are ABS. I've got boards where thin PBT lasered caps and ABS relegendable caps are mixed as well. Does it have MX Brown switches ? Maybe we got it from the same vendor :)

tentator

23 Feb 2016, 10:19

Ah! So they could be mixed?? Yes it had mx browns!

It means I definitely prefer abs towards thin pbt..? ;)

Actually I was even convinced that if the code starts with L it is lasered and thin pbt and if it's S it's dye sublimated and thick pbt.. always..

The wiki for instance only saya:

L = Lasered PBT or POM
P = Pad-printed ABS
H = Double-shot ABS (Hochdruck Spritzguss, "high-pressure injection moulding")
S = Dye-sublimated PBT (Sublimationsdruck)

By the way what is POM? Only for black caps, right?

derzemel

23 Feb 2016, 10:25

tentator wrote: By the way what is POM?
Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal, polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic.
It has a similar feel to ABS, but I find it a little more slippery (I do not like it). It is a bit harder than ABS, but I do not think that it is as tough as PBT
I have never seen Doubleshot POM keycaps, only lasered.

More details regarding POM here on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Feb 2016, 10:31

derzemel wrote: I have never seen Doubleshot POM keycaps, only lasered.
Just so I can say something smart today, POM is actually used in PBT doublesots with backlight support. Since there's no transparent PBT, POM is used instead as the transparent component.

See Vortex PBT/POM doubleshots

derzemel

23 Feb 2016, 10:37

Wodan wrote:
derzemel wrote: I have never seen Doubleshot POM keycaps, only lasered.
Just so I can say something smart today, POM is actually used in PBT doublesots with backlight support. Since there's no transparent PBT, POM is used instead as the transparent component.

See Vortex PBT/POM doubleshots
I did not know that :D

alh84001
v.001

23 Feb 2016, 10:58

SSK shipping from Germany, ANSI layout:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/IBM-Model-M-SSK- ... SwDuJWyeXg

That escalated quickly :mrgreen:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Feb 2016, 11:00

alh84001 wrote: SSK shipping from Germany, ANSI layout:

Same guy:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-IBM-Model-M- ... SwWTRWyerc

Model M SSK NIB ANSI

shreebles
Finally 60%

23 Feb 2016, 11:01

tentator wrote: Did anybody have experience with stuffed caps? I mean maybe by filling the cap hollow with something like glue could improve typing sound and feeling? ;)
I remember a discussion but with no actual result: keyboards-f2/thick-pbt-do-it-yourself-t8368.html

Nice. I love my blue label SSK the most. But mine's a Lexmark :o 8-)

Halvar

23 Feb 2016, 11:22

The NIB SSK has a Texan smell to me. Could this seller be a DT forum member? 8-)

andrewjoy

23 Feb 2016, 12:01

The hand written label on the end , defiantly a texan find. There is a photo of all of them stacked up somewhere , someone could compare if they where so inclined.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2016, 12:10

andrewjoy wrote: defiantly a texan find.
Defying the first rule of Cindy Club: no flipping!

I've got one of those NIB SSKs, too. I have no plans to ever sell it. Someone would have to really tickle my vices to get it off me. I'm thoroughly unreasonable, so it won't be worth their effort, and sacrifice!

andrewjoy

23 Feb 2016, 12:14

I would say selling it on is ok if its to a member and if, you don't take the piss with the price, add a few pennies to cover your postage cost is ok.

Making a profit is not ok.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2016, 12:15

Several hundred percent profit…

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Feb 2016, 12:26

Wodan wrote:

Same guy:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-IBM-Model-M- ... SwWTRWyerc

Model M SSK NIB ANSI
Oh that's in my local area, maybe I'll pay him a visit... :evilgeek:

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

23 Feb 2016, 12:30

andrewjoy wrote: I would say selling it on is ok if its to a member and if, you don't take the piss with the price, add a few pennies to cover your postage cost is ok.

Making a profit is not ok.
Profit in general is not evil. It makes the world turn and people getting paid is what gives us nice stuff. Profiteering, aka flipping, on the other hand, is not good in a community like ours. But, the forces of supply and demand are economic laws and cannot be counteracted in the long term. Preaching against them is futile. (At the same time, selling at cost is a personal choice and is great karma.)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Feb 2016, 13:05

Do I understand right you guys mean these are boards Cindy sold here to DT members?

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2016, 13:07

Yes. She had an amazing SSK haul a year or more ago. I got my NIB SSK that way. For much, much less than the eBay chancer is asking.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Feb 2016, 13:15

Yeah it's very unlikely that this seller just happens to own a NIB SSK. I might PM him in ebay just to see if I get a response. :evilgeek:

Halvar

23 Feb 2016, 13:16

Well there's actually no such thing as a Cindy club of course. (Or do I just never talk about it?)

And it's been a year. And we don't even know the story of this one.

I just found it interesting.

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 Feb 2016, 13:22

I also got one, for $150. The gods will never be bad to Cindy! The one from Ebay is 99% from that sale. I would say.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Feb 2016, 13:25

Madhias
BS TORPE

23 Feb 2016, 13:28

I bought a Skidata from this seller for I think €80, but without trackball. These were always more expensive.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

23 Feb 2016, 13:33

The ones with a trackball used to be 89,90€.
Price has been increased over the course of the last couple of weeks.

Halvar

23 Feb 2016, 13:43

Yes, it has been at around 90 € for years. Can't get a GMK keycap set for that price. Sorry for everyone who's late to the party. ;-)

Return to “Other external”