Offtopicthority Instigator

27 May 2016, 23:00

Yeah that is sublime.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (185.96 KiB) Viewed 6555 times

emdude
Model M Apologist

27 May 2016, 23:06

Wow, that APL keyboard looks just lovely. :)

It makes me wonder if John Titor is just another keyboard enthusiast who traveled from 2036 to save his favorite beamspring. :roll:

Chyros

28 May 2016, 01:25

That IS lovely. Definitely very nice.

Also, I wish my current computer had an on/off switch like that, that's just amazing xD.

Muirium
µ

28 May 2016, 01:31

They're nice. But they're not beamspring APL tripleshots:

The one thing I begrudge my dear frenemy, Mr_A500!

Norman_

28 May 2016, 03:30

emdude wrote: Ah, isn't this Northgate Bob's site, the guy who said there's no difference between Blue and White Alps? I believe he was mentioned in the Alps Appreciation thread. Out of curiosity, does anyone who has dealt with him knows how much he charges on average for one of his keyboards?
He wanted 200 for an omnikey 102 with blues in november of 2015

Seemed a bit steep to me, but i'm hardly made of money.

seebart

29 May 2016, 10:40

This is the same seller mylsef and a few others here have been buying from, the keyboards are quite unpredictable in their condidtion. He told me he would have several of these for sale.

7x Beamspring 5251:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Retro-Tastatur-I ... SwepZXSctq

For whatever reason this DATACOMP BLUE ALPS did not sell the fist time around, let's go for €500... :evilgeek:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/191878851130?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

Topre Realforce 88UB 45g (ISO/DE) + PBT Spacebar/Red ESC

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Topre-Realforce- ... Sw6btXRsVm

Robotron 1715

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Raritat-komplett ... SwKfVXLz47

Crazy Canadian XXIV

29 May 2016, 12:15

Seven beamsprings from one seller O_o is that a record of some kind?

Invisius

29 May 2016, 12:23

Would someone be kind enough to act as a proxy for the 5251? I'm in the US and it doesn't even give me the option to purchase :(

Slom

29 May 2016, 12:33

Invisius wrote: Would someone be kind enough to act as a proxy for the 5251? I'm in the US and it doesn't even give me the option to purchase :(
I'm going to pickup mine sometime this week. I have no experience with sending stuff outside of Germany though :(
But yes, I would be willing to help.

Invisius

29 May 2016, 12:47

Slom wrote:
Invisius wrote: Would someone be kind enough to act as a proxy for the 5251? I'm in the US and it doesn't even give me the option to purchase :(
I'm going to pickup mine sometime this week. I have no experience with sending stuff outside of Germany though :(
But yes, I would be willing to help.
Thanks much for the offer, I'm going to buy mine now and see if he's willing to ship overseas. If not, I'll definitely be in touch :)

lot_lizard

29 May 2016, 14:07

FWIW... There are discussions about coming up with a new case for the 5251 (nothing will be announced until more is worked out behind the scenes with some PMs, and other projects are taking priority). Consensus would be, we love the board and its layout for mapping, but the case needs work.

I only mention because... if someone was REALLY wanting a beamspring, this is possibly the opportunity to have a really nice one coupled with the new case when we finally work it out (no clue when though). Obviously a new case shell is not cheap, so factor that in as well if it was motivation. There is always risk on condition with beamsprings too, so be prepared to possibly having a lengthy restoration just to make it usable. True labor of love

Seems like there are more and more 5251s popping up all the time, and the case project continues to make more and more sense.

EDIT:. If anyone does have one, or picks up one, PM me. I will start putting together a list of folks that might be interested in the Workshop thread for later (to ping letting you know... "We've commenced"). There can't be that many of us (the problem)

Halvar

29 May 2016, 14:13

Translation of the description to Halvar English:
On sale is, in each case, one keyboard of brand IBM. Since they are old and I have no way to test them, as a precaution, I'll write here that they are defective.

Account data as always after the end of the auction. [This means he only accepts SEPA.]

For delivery abroad please inquire beforehand.

Nuum

29 May 2016, 14:20

Thanks, Seebart! Finally a beamspring in ISO German for a reasonable price, in what I think is the best layout for a beamspring. Let's hope the condition is not too bad.

Invisius

29 May 2016, 14:29

Halvar wrote: Translation of the description to Halvar English:
Account data as always after the end of the auction. [This means he only accepts SEPA.]
Well this is a pain. He was initially agreeable and quoted me 50 euros for shipping, but I assumed this line meant Paypal and it won't even let me sign up for the SEPA service.

Looks like I might have to send Slom the funds so he can pay in person, unless the seller starts being more flexible. :?
Cash on pickup is the only option.

Phenix
-p

29 May 2016, 16:05

Those 5251s look really nice.
As far as I understand a xwhatsit is needed.
Is there some sort of guide? (beside workshop-f7/beamspring-usb-controller-t6044.html
)

seebart

29 May 2016, 16:09

Crazy Canadian XXIV wrote: Seven beamsprings from one seller O_o is that a record of some kind?
No, this same seller has sold 25+ Beamsprings if not more, he just now has gotten on to the eBay prices. I bought a 5251 from him for 20 Euros not too long ago including various other nice gems. :evilgeek:

Tyr

29 May 2016, 16:18

seebart wrote: No, this same seller has sold 25+ Beamsprings if not more, he just now has gotten on to the eBay prices. I bought a 5251 from him for 20 Euros not too long ago including various other nice gems. :evilgeek:
Where do people keep finding this stuff ? :o

Muirium
µ

29 May 2016, 16:20

Old guys sheds.

Tyr

29 May 2016, 16:25

Muirium wrote: Old guys sheds.
Then how did the guy end up with 25 beamsprings in his shed :lol: Mysteries upon mysteries.

Well, I bought one even though it's not 20 EUR :) . I'm not even a collector just curious about the hype. Hope it's in a decent state.

seebart

29 May 2016, 16:29

No sheds Mu, it's the Rustmaster himself!

Tyr

29 May 2016, 16:54

seebart wrote: No sheds Mu, it's the Rustmaster himself!
That doesn't sound very promising :? Oh well, too late now.

seebart

29 May 2016, 17:06

Don't worry that's just a nickname, my 5251 was not rusty at all. Dra also bought one from him recently.

Muirium
µ

29 May 2016, 17:13

I'd say count yourself lucky, but then you're the man with the gloriously rusty 3276 I bought off him, so fair's fair!

Dra

29 May 2016, 17:25

seebart wrote: Don't worry that's just a nickname, my 5251 was not rusty at all. Dra also bought one from him recently.
Except mine wasn't from retrosammler2016 ;)
Although it is possible that they're the same person, since they both give away the bank account data post-auction and follow each other. Mine was in a better condition than what's pictured in this auction though, keycaps had no dirt, only a few legends had yellowed and the contamination shield was intact, working and not very dirty, still need to clean everything since I've been quite busy over the last week...

Anyway, who's gonna host the xwhatsit controller mini-gb? :lol:

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 May 2016, 17:38

Ships to DE but only accepts cash on collection!? :evil:

alh84001
v.001

29 May 2016, 17:56

I'm starting to think I'm being too picky for holding out for US layout 3279 or Displaywriter :)

seebart

29 May 2016, 18:17

It's the same seller Dra! It's never "fair" Mu. 8-)

Halvar

29 May 2016, 18:22

Dra wrote: Anyway, who's gonna host the xwhatsit controller mini-gb? :lol:
Good question!

Halvar

29 May 2016, 18:26

Return to “Other external”