Great/Interesting Finds

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Jul 2016, 16:23

Engicoder wrote:
LewisR wrote: "Vintage OLD german keyboard Rare" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-OLD-ger ... 2444539986

Interesting QWERTZ layout. It even has a properly sized left-shift key and split right-shift key.
Keytronic...ala KB-5151
Interesting but way too expensive.

elecplus

22 Jul 2016, 21:37

Techno Trousers wrote:
Seller has 83.3% positive feedback over 18,300 transactions. I've never seen a rating that low before on eBay.
I drove down to see those guys a few months ago. VERY long drive! They are very proud of everything they have. Trouble is, they take everything and strip it and sell the parts on ebay. Non-working 70" flat screen TV? No problems, strip it down to the boards and wires and sell it all separately. They think they will make a fortune. Trust me, there is no way they actually tested this on a terminal.

Firebolt1914

23 Jul 2016, 04:51

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Jul 2016, 05:34

elecplus wrote: Trust me, there is no way they actually tested this on a terminal.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (30.14 KiB) Viewed 6736 times

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

23 Jul 2016, 05:50

For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever heard of an F122 that has failed to work with a soarer adapter. As long as the controller's intact, it's probably fine.

E3E

23 Jul 2016, 08:46

Halvar wrote: In the end, people who spend time scanning ebay for hidden gems will lose from this, while people that just camp/lurk on this thread will profit. As will sellers.

Also from my experience from my own forum (not keyboard related), about 80 to 90% of people who read forum threads are not even registered in the forum. So for every "deskthorian" reading this thread, five to ten "guests" will read it.

I understand people like to share good finds that they don't need themselves, and I myself do like to share, too, but on the other hand, I wouldn't really like to see those of my finds that do interest me posted by others in this thread. So I'll probably not share a lot.
I pretty much agree entirely with this post. While it's nice to share, it's always annoying to see someone oust what you hoped to keep as a hidden gem only to see bidders flock to the auction.

It's even worse when you see eager fledgling little eBayers bidding high early, knowing that they are doomed to be outbid in the end by a seasoned eBay user. It never fails.

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

23 Jul 2016, 12:53

Halvar wrote: In the end, people who spend time scanning ebay for hidden gems will lose from this, while people that just camp/lurk on this thread will profit. As will sellers.

Also from my experience from my own forum (not keyboard related), about 80 to 90% of people who read forum threads are not even registered in the forum. So for every "deskthorian" reading this thread, five to ten "guests" will read it.

I understand people like to share good finds that they don't need themselves, and I myself do like to share, too, but on the other hand, I wouldn't really like to see those of my finds that do interest me posted by others in this thread. So I'll probably not share a lot.
I think the best way to prevent this from happening is to make a thread where only Club member can see :mrgreen:

shreebles
Finally 60%

23 Jul 2016, 13:07

Yeah, I and a few others felt the same way, bocahgundul, and this discussion comes up again every so many months.
But in the end, nothing comes out of it.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by shreebles on 23 Jul 2016, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

scottc

23 Jul 2016, 13:44

Model M industrial shells from Unicomp for just $30: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1394942

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

23 Jul 2016, 15:52

shreebles wrote: Yeah, I and a few others felt the same way, bocahgandul, and this discussion comes up again every so many months.
I see that you're having a hard time spelling out my username :lol:
Well you could just call me seal cause its easier 8-)

Cmon guys we need to find a way to prevent this :roll:

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 16:02

E3E wrote:

I pretty much agree entirely with this post. While it's nice to share, it's always annoying to see someone oust what you hoped to keep as a hidden gem only to see bidders flock to the auction.

It's even worse when you see eager fledgling little eBayers bidding high early, knowing that they are doomed to be outbid in the end by a seasoned eBay user. It never fails.
So do I! We've had this discussion more than once here. Same old story. In fact I would not mind at all if matt3o killed this thread and started a new "internal" one. There is no other sensible way of preventing anything and why should anyone care? In fact I'm pretty sure we propelled the nixie, blue Alps etc. hypes and hence $$$ ebay prices with this thread. Way too late now. And if anything is changed we'd have to have a club member vote on it first. Any baby whining about any auction or any silly calling dibs is for the shits and a total waste of time.
Last edited by seebart on 23 Jul 2016, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Jul 2016, 16:02

Helpful spelling suggestions:

Bakagandalf
Bocagrendel
Boqagunthar

;)

shreebles
Finally 60%

23 Jul 2016, 16:11

bocahgundul wrote:
shreebles wrote: Yeah, I and a few others felt the same way, bocahgandul, and this discussion comes up again every so many months.
I see that you're having a hard time spelling out my username :lol:
Well you could just call me seal cause its easier 8-)

Cmon guys we need to find a way to prevent this :roll:
Yeah OK I'm sorry but give me a break.
Your name has one A and two Us. I spelled it exactly the same exact with two As and one U. Small slip of the fingers.
It's not like I called you UIORJHTGSUIODJ.

Seebart, now that you say it I think you're right. This thread is probably partly to blame for all the price hikes from sellers (and bidders) who originally had no clue.
Great example was that Nixdorf the other day - it went for 60€, everyone's like, that's not Nixies, just vintage Black.
Even if you actively want those blacks (IIRC whoever bought it wanted it for the caps) that's a pretty steep price, and could've gone for much less.

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 17:19

shreebles wrote: Seebart, now that you say it I think you're right. This thread is probably partly to blame for all the price hikes from sellers (and bidders) who originally had no clue.
Great example was that Nixdorf the other day - it went for 60€, everyone's like, that's not Nixies, just vintage Black.
Even if you actively want those blacks (IIRC whoever bought it wanted it for the caps) that's a pretty steep price, and could've gone for much less.
I'm happy to pick this subject up again and have a vote if enough DT members feel that way. Anyone can open a thread for this subject, if we have a vote it should be limited to club members.

chiptea

23 Jul 2016, 17:41

scottc wrote: Model M industrial shells from Unicomp for just $30: http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1394942
Oh, oh OOH. I'm getting one of those RIGHT NOW WTF :o

Edit: Never mind since shipping is $81 to Canada. Send help please.

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 17:52

That's Unicomp shipping alright. Shipping to me is probably $181 which is why I never ordered anything from them. Send help chiptea? WOT?

chiptea

23 Jul 2016, 17:59

seebart wrote: That's Unicomp shipping alright. Shipping to me is probably $181 which is why I never ordered anything from them. Send help chiptea? WOT?
Oh never mind, you need more help than I do. I think I'm figuring something out with the shipping situation though ;)

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 18:04

No I don't need any help with that thanks. ;) :lol:

duynguyenle

23 Jul 2016, 18:29

seebart wrote:
shreebles wrote: Seebart, now that you say it I think you're right. This thread is probably partly to blame for all the price hikes from sellers (and bidders) who originally had no clue.
I'm happy to pick this subject up again and have a vote if enough DT members feel that way. Anyone can open a thread for this subject, if we have a vote it should be limited to club members.
How can I get in this club? Is there an initiation ritual? :lol:

elecplus

23 Jul 2016, 18:30

Most of the people that buy from me are registered (or else they could not post), but they are not actually dues paying members. It does not really matter for sales, but I can see a very valid point that the "great finds" and "what is my ____ worth?" threads might be limited to members?

elecplus

23 Jul 2016, 18:31

duynguyenle wrote: How can I get in this club? Is there an initiation ritual? :lol:
You pay your $13 annual membership fees. It is not expensive!

elecplus

23 Jul 2016, 18:40

seebart wrote:
Topic and vote created, but I have no idea how to limit it to club members. deskthority-f17/should-some-topics-be-v ... 14269.html

Slom

23 Jul 2016, 18:42

Guys ... make your own effing club member circle-jerk greatest finds thread, BUT leave this thread alone ... :(

Slom

23 Jul 2016, 18:42

[double post ... arhg]
Last edited by Slom on 23 Jul 2016, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

elecplus

23 Jul 2016, 18:44

Slom wrote: Guys ... make your own effing club member circle-jerk greatest finds thread, BUT leave this thread alone ... :(
Do you have a problem paying $13 per year for all the goodness we get from this forum?

Slom

23 Jul 2016, 18:46

Yes ...

I would not have a problem donating money ... but paying? YES!

elecplus

23 Jul 2016, 18:49

Slom wrote: Yes ...

I would not have a problem donating money ... but paying? YES!
So donate it, and the problem is solved :mrgreen: Seriously, people pay a small fortune for keyboards, but they don't have $13 to donate to the club? The $13 covers hosting, SSL fees, etc.

If you REALLY don't have the $13, but want to be a club member, PM me and a donation will be arranged in your name.

chiptea

23 Jul 2016, 19:13

elecplus wrote:
seebart wrote:
Topic and vote created, but I have no idea how to limit it to club members. deskthority-f17/should-some-topics-be-v ... 14269.html
This actually seems like a really good idea since ebay sellers can't snoop on our threads and raise prices. I've noticed as well a massive surge in """""""""""clickey keyboard""""""""""""""""" and <100 prices. It would be good encouragement to get people to pay and $13 is truly nothing especially for most of us. I'd like to ask, is there a way to pay membership with bitcoin?

I'm not sure if the results on that poll are going to work out well. This kind of goes along the lines of "government wants to raise taxes to exponentially improve transit/health/whatever, but people don't like paying more so they vote no". It would end up helping way more in the long run. Just my two cents

seebart

23 Jul 2016, 19:21

Yes let's have elecplus informal vote for now and see how that goes, a real change could only be undertaken after a official DT club member vote and matt3o approval as club master.

Hak Foo

23 Jul 2016, 19:34

I note another forum I frequent has the buy/sell forum as a "paid members only". However, I'm not sure this thread is quite the same thing-- it's more like "news".

If there's a $12 beamspring out there, if the beans aren't spilled here, they will be on Geekhack or /r/mk.

Return to “Other external”