Great/Interesting Finds

GuilleAcoustic

31 Mar 2015, 12:22

ramnes wrote: ..., and the guy just thought "why not just build something from my Selectric?"\.
That's most likely what happend. Been tempted to do something similar but didn't know if it was doable.
ramnes wrote: People where much more into electronics than nowadays.
Yes, and that's a pity when you consider how easyier it is nowaday with the current microcontrollers (Arduino, Teensy, etc.) and Internet to source and buy components, find tutorials, sample code, etc.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Mar 2015, 12:29

Ascaii wrote: I am planning on bidding on the wood board
Good luck!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

31 Mar 2015, 12:51

kbdfr wrote:
chzel wrote:
kbdfr wrote: […] Interestingly enough, the first bidder hasn't posted it here - probably he'd rather have this one himself :lol:
Well, it isn't me! […]
I know it's not you, but of course I know who it is, it was easy to find out :mrgreen:

I just find it strange that people post long lists of interesting stuff,
directing everyone (including non-DT members) to it and contributing to higher prices
and potentially preventing fellow DT members to get it cheap or even to get it at all,
but on the other hand omit what they're interested in themselves:
Same first (and only) bidder:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Server-Tastatur- ... 7675.l2557
I generally agree with you kbdfr. We have had this exact situation several times in this thread. I'm sure my ebay nick is known here by some (herr.nk) and we are never fully going to avaoid this silly hide and seek game. Most of these aren't even really great finds, but that's realtive. I admit to having found keyboards and not posted them here. I have had other users PM me specifically asking me to keep quiet. Same old ballgame.

wheybags wrote:
Those are selectric caps O.o
That thing must be homemade.
Curious as fuck to know what the switches are.
yes those caps look nice. Could be worth it just for the switches and caps. That thing could have a great feel with that wood case.

Ascaii
The Beard

31 Mar 2015, 13:40

kbdfr wrote:
Good luck!
Im have a feeling im going to need it :D

seebart

31 Mar 2015, 13:50

Ascaii wrote:
kbdfr wrote:
Good luck!
Im have a feeling im going to need it :D
I'll admit I like it too. That wood looks high quality.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Mar 2015, 16:37

seebart wrote:
kbdfr wrote: […] [grumbles about people posting long lists of interesting stuff but omitting what they're interested in themselves] […]
I generally agree with you kbdfr. We have had this exact situation several times in this thread. […] we are never fully going to avaoid this silly hide and seek game. Most of these aren't even really great finds, but that's realtive. I admit to having found keyboards and not posted them here. I have had other users PM me specifically asking me to keep quiet. Same old ballgame.
You're not the one I mean :mrgreen:

To clarify things:
I do not object to people posting stuff, and I do not object to people not posting the stuff they want to buy themselves, and I do not object to the same persons doing both. But I do object to recurring long lists of finds including even easy to find items while at the same time keeping secret those one wants to buy. This attitude amounts to "I found quite a lot of nice things of no interest to me, so you can have them all - but I hope nobody will do the same with stuff I want myself".

I find posting each and everything is an (in my eyes) undue help for all those who do not care to search themselves, giving them an advantage over those who do. When it comes to not-so-evident items which not everyone searching will find, the advantage given to "non-searchers" is even greater because they will be competing with even fewer "searchers". And remember reading this thread is not restricted to DT members!

That's why I posted the Model M with Greek legends listed as "Canon keyboard". I think this way the first bidder will have experienced how it feels when a nice, well-concealed find one hopes to grab is published by someone else who just has no interest in it.

There is even a case where "someone" first placed a bid without posting the item, but eventually did so after a higher bid had been placed (have fun trying to find out :mrgreen: ), so it was first kept secret from possible competitors, but then disclosed to everyone after personal interest was lost.

shreebles
Finally 60%

31 Mar 2015, 16:39

seebart wrote: I generally agree with you kbdfr. We have had this exact situation several times in this thread. I'm sure my ebay nick is known here by some (herr.nk) and we are never fully going to avaoid this silly hide and seek game. Most of these aren't even really great finds, but that's realtive. I admit to having found keyboards and not posted them here. I have had other users PM me specifically asking me to keep quiet. Same old ballgame.
Why not just make this thread (or better yet, the entire marketplace) viewable by registered members only? Or viewable only by registered members that have been here a while and posted in other threads, not just the marketplace...

seebart

31 Mar 2015, 16:53

shreebles wrote:
seebart wrote: Why not just make this thread (or better yet, the entire marketplace) viewable by registered members only? Or viewable only by registered members that have been here a while and posted in other threads, not just the marketplace...
that's an interesting idea. Not sure how our admins see that.

I know exactly what you mean kbdfr. What's your solution? You want to prohibit people from double posting their findings? How? You can tell us all as you have done more than once. I suspect this will still happen. shreebles has suggested a solution. But even then you cannot eliminate any of that. The entire thread could be deleted and any such posts be prohibited! Prohibation for ANY Great/Interesting Finds! :o

GuilleAcoustic

31 Mar 2015, 17:11

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Mar 2015, 17:20

seebart wrote:
shreebles wrote:
seebart wrote: Why not just make this thread (or better yet, the entire marketplace) viewable by registered members only? Or viewable only by registered members that have been here a while and posted in other threads, not just the marketplace...
that's an interesting idea. Not sure how our admins see that.

I know exactly what you mean kbdfr. What's your solution? You want to prohibit people from double posting their findings? How? You can tell us all as you have done more than once. I suspect this will still happen. shreebles has suggested a solution. But even then you cannot eliminate any of that. The entire thread could be deleted and any such posts be prohibited! Prohibation for ANY Great/Interesting Finds! :o
I have no solution other than to expose my views again and again. I am against any form of prohibiting such postings, and I do not wish to make this thead a confidential one.
I'd just like people to reflect on what they are doing, why they are doing it, and what impacts it has.
Last edited by kbdfr on 31 Mar 2015, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

HzFaq

31 Mar 2015, 17:22

GuilleAcoustic wrote: CH Products Trackball PRO (PS/2):
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Vintage-Mouse-Sy ... 35df965e4e
Is that the same as the one you teensied?

GuilleAcoustic

31 Mar 2015, 17:25

HzFaq wrote:
GuilleAcoustic wrote: CH Products Trackball PRO (PS/2):
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Vintage-Mouse-Sy ... 35df965e4e
Is that the same as the one you teensied?
It is the same, but PS/2 variant. Less pain than mine :lol:

HzFaq

31 Mar 2015, 17:27

Aha, nice. I've spent about £60 on mice in the last month or so, I should probably leave this one for someone else :D.

seebart

31 Mar 2015, 17:28

kbdfr wrote: I have no solution other than to expose my views again and again. I am against any form of prohibiting such postings, and I do not wish to make this thead a confidential one.
I'd just like people to reflect on what they are doing, why they are doing it, and what impact it has.
Agreed. What impact do you mean?

Stabilized

31 Mar 2015, 17:36

HzFaq wrote: Aha, nice. I've spent about £60 on mice in the last month or so, I should probably leave this one for someone else :D.
I was thinking the exact same, would like to pick one up at some point in the future though :)

Stabilized

31 Mar 2015, 18:08

Last £30 White G80-11900 (UK layout, USB connector, MX Black):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Electr ... 25a344dd21

IBM Model F(?):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-IBM-P ... 5210&rt=nc
Last edited by Stabilized on 31 Mar 2015, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

GuilleAcoustic

31 Mar 2015, 18:10

Stabilized wrote: Last £30 G80-11900 (UK layout, USB connector):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Electr ... 25a344dd21
Damned, ebay often blocks objects. I end up with a message like this one:
Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.
I have the exact same message with the wooden keyboard, but I was able to open the link when it got posted here.

Stabilized

31 Mar 2015, 18:20

Weird, I have only ever received a blocked message from eBay when I was trying to buy a kitchen knife from Japan (probably trying to stop people buying a katana under the guise of a kitchen knife).
Have no idea why they would block you buying keyboards in the EU though!

scottc

31 Mar 2015, 18:21

Stabilized wrote: Weird, I have only ever received a blocked message from eBay when I was trying to buy a kitchen knife from Japan (probably trying to stop people buying a katana under the guise of a kitchen knife).
Have no idea why they would block you buying keyboards in the EU though!
For the sake of your wallet. :P

Stabilized

31 Mar 2015, 18:35

Wow, it's says a lot if eBay is telling you that 'you've had enough' ;)

seebart

31 Mar 2015, 18:41

legal restrictions in some countries...
that says it all. I bet they had some legal problems with some users buying in forgein countries and now they send that BS message!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Mar 2015, 18:46

Interesting keyboards (here apparently Wyse) are to be found not only in the the "Computer" category:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/261820856309

Sorry for the first bidder if others are interested as well :lol:

seebart

31 Mar 2015, 18:49

kbdfr wrote: Interesting keyboards (here apparently Wyse) are to be found not only in the the "Computer" category:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/261820856309

Sorry for the first bidder if others are interested as well :lol:
Flohmarktkiste IX
:lol:

I see you are getting into "revenge posting" now kbdfr! :evilgeek:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 Mar 2015, 18:56

seebart wrote: […] I see you are getting into "revenge posting" now kbdfr! :evilgeek:
Revenge posting? No way. It's educational posting :mrgreen:

Halvar

31 Mar 2015, 21:37

Good for you! :D

gogusrl

01 Apr 2015, 13:48

Ebay is clearly fucking with us on april 1st. I jumped a bit when I got the watchlist notification.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351358597077?

seebart

01 Apr 2015, 13:49

gogusrl wrote: Ebay is clearly fucking with us on april 1st. I jumped a bit when I got the watchlist notification.

you think ebay is pulling april jokes on users? I don't think they would risk that.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Apr 2015, 13:54

gogusrl wrote: Ebay is clearly fucking with us on april 1st. I jumped a bit when I got the watchlist notification.

NIB G80 5000, whoa! :lol:

seebart

01 Apr 2015, 13:56

yes guk, that is the NIB G80 5000 you need to get to complete your collection! :mrgreen: What a deal!

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Apr 2015, 14:02

seebart wrote: yes guk, that is the NIB G80 5000 you need to get to complete your collection! :mrgreen: What a deal!
Seller doesn't ship internationally. :(

Return to “Other external”