Great/Interesting Finds

Wingklip

27 Aug 2017, 12:54

depletedvespene wrote:
E TwentyNine wrote: And $50 shipping. Nice.

I'll console myself with this: "No power cord and the unit has not been tested - see pictures for details and condition."

That's SUCH a cop-out. That's a butt-standard power cord that still comes on stuff today. So MAYBE it's not working and they have plausible deniability. Maybe they're too lazy to find a cord.

Will look for the follow up...
I bought it for the keyboard. If it turns out the PC is actually in working order, it'll be a bonus. I'm fairly sure I have a copy of PC-DOS 3.3 around here somewhere...

I'll look up Soarer's converters and teensies for this keeb tomorrow. Now I need to get some sleep (while my wallet spends the night crying).
Can't say I'm not jelly, what a bargain! For only <200USD?????

depletedvespene

27 Aug 2017, 14:29

Wingklip wrote: Can't say I'm not jelly, what a bargain! For only <200USD?????
Hey, it was MY turn to get lucky for once! :mrgreen:

Jarofmolasses

28 Aug 2017, 05:22

clickityClackity wrote: Aaaaaand sold! I have one but the prices are way lower than I expected when I was researching. They seem to go for less than a Model F keyboard... And they comes with a Model F keyboard. :?:

Different connection but seems odd to me.
And on top of that, the connection is just a different plug. Still speaks XT protocol, so it's dead simple to convert if that's what you want to do!

Keybug

28 Aug 2017, 10:47

An apparent flood of nine Nixies model keyboards this morning, rather cheap in comparison:

http://m.ebay.de/itm/SIEMENS-NIXDORF-Ta ... Ciid%253A5

The question remains how trustworthy the seller is. So far he has only denied my bid of 150€, while not sending any photos of the switches as I requested. I hesitate to offer more as the switches may have been swapped.

Any news from others trying to find out would be very welcome...

hansichen

28 Aug 2017, 11:01

Swapped switches would be a reason for eBay's buyers protection. But without PayPal and as these boards can come with other switches I personally wouldn't risk it too. At that price it's not worth to gamble it

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Aug 2017, 11:19

hansichen wrote: Swapped switches would be a reason for eBay's buyers protection. But without PayPal and as these boards can come with other switches I personally wouldn't risk it too. At that price it's not worth to gamble it
Yes that's right, BTW that is the same seller I bought some of these from last year those had nixies but that doesn't mean anything. Of course nixies are 90% vintage MX blacks nothing more.

chip chop

28 Aug 2017, 12:15

This Nixdorf seems strange, no photo showing all the boards & a disclaimer that says the condition could be any type of junk. Maybe wait for Wodan to find one in one of his yellow waistcoat videos?

kawasaki161

28 Aug 2017, 12:43

Especially looking at his other listings this seems shady as fuck.

Also, it says he only accepts cash on pick up and offers shipping? Weird

seebart

28 Aug 2017, 12:54

The guy is semi-shady yes. When I bought from him it wasn't so bad though.

chip chop

28 Aug 2017, 13:10

Plus he's from Munich, we all know what trouble makers those Bavarians are!

hansichen

28 Aug 2017, 13:11

But... but what have I done wrong? :(

seebart

28 Aug 2017, 13:15

hansichen wrote: But... but what have I done wrong? :(
Nothing.

Halvar

28 Aug 2017, 19:47

Why are Nixies still a $250 thing anyway?

I understood it as long as they were the smoothest Cherry MX switches you could find, but nowadays, with Zealios and other great new MX clones around, I don't really think they still are, and I don't understand these prices. Or am I wrong and today's buyers buy them for the rare keyboard and the Nixdorf brand, not to desolder the switches?

hansichen

28 Aug 2017, 19:49

Most of the boards get desoldered, but for smooth linear mx switches vintage blacks are still the number 1 choice. Some people wanna use kalih switches now and Zeal wants to have some linears in future too, but for the moment vintage black is still by far the number 1. And reddit people want to have reddit switches for their "endgame" builds. It's their e-penis and that's why they spend 5$ per switch

Wolf123rt

28 Aug 2017, 20:01

hansichen wrote: Most of the boards get desoldered, but for smooth linear mx switches vintage blacks are still the number 1 choice. Some people wanna use kalih switches now and Zeal wants to have some linears in future too, but for the moment vintage black is still by far the number 1. And reddit people want to have reddit switches for their "endgame" builds. It's their e-penis and that's why they spend 5$ per switch
What's the difference between vintage black switches and new ones? Do they feel better because they are broken in?

unxmaal

28 Aug 2017, 20:19

https://vermont.craigslist.org/sys/d/ib ... 18999.html

I'm lusting for those Model Fs. I think the top board is a XT 83.

I don't really want to find out what shipping would be for the whole pile, though.

hansichen

28 Aug 2017, 20:20

Cherry have changed the tooling of their switches several times. Once in ~1994 and they changed it again in late 2016. That's why pre 1994 switches are way smoother than later ones and why the very new switches are pretty smooth again.

JP!

28 Aug 2017, 20:43

unxmaal wrote: https://vermont.craigslist.org/sys/d/ib ... 18999.html

I don't really want to find out what shipping would be for the whole pile, though.
That connector on that second XT is interesting. Have not seen a metal connector like that before. Those 5150's look nice. It looks like one of those 5150's might have a hard card installed. Those color vga monitors are not original to these PC's of course.

Chyros

28 Aug 2017, 21:16

Wolf123rt wrote:
hansichen wrote: Most of the boards get desoldered, but for smooth linear mx switches vintage blacks are still the number 1 choice. Some people wanna use kalih switches now and Zeal wants to have some linears in future too, but for the moment vintage black is still by far the number 1. And reddit people want to have reddit switches for their "endgame" builds. It's their e-penis and that's why they spend 5$ per switch
What's the difference between vintage black switches and new ones? Do they feel better because they are broken in?
No, it appears to be simply because their tooling wasn't as worn back in the day.

seebart

28 Aug 2017, 21:17

Halvar wrote: Why are Nixies still a $250 thing anyway?

I understood it as long as they were the smoothest Cherry MX switches you could find, but nowadays, with Zealios and other great new MX clones around, I don't really think they still are, and I don't understand these prices. Or am I wrong and today's buyers buy them for the rare keyboard and the Nixdorf brand, not to desolder the switches?
Nixies are little if any smoother than 1980's MX blacks, and yes anyone who still spends $$$ just for the clear tops with the current Asian selection available...
images.jpg
images.jpg (12.46 KiB) Viewed 15555 times

Slom

28 Aug 2017, 22:28

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tono-THETA-O-900 ... 2045031501
Too expensive but very nice looking ... any ideas about the switches?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/DEC-VT-100-Serie ... 2821267194
Looks like alps tee mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAL-CT2100-Comm ... 2488456805
Fancy some nice old M7 cherry? wiki/HAL_KB-2100

ekeppel

29 Aug 2017, 03:18

JP! wrote:
unxmaal wrote: https://vermont.craigslist.org/sys/d/ib ... 18999.html

That connector on that second XT is interesting. Have not seen a metal connector like that before. Those 5150's look nice. It looks like one of those 5150's might have a hard card installed. Those color vga monitors are not original to these PC's of course.

The whole lot just went up on eBay a few minutes ago. Still only local pickup, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391875260502

Slom

29 Aug 2017, 10:19

Everybody sleeping? Let post some cool stuff :D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Early-C ... 2285838105

seebart

29 Aug 2017, 10:34

Very nice finds Slom, and that's my HAL KB2100 right there which is not that rare really.

keyboards-f2/hal-kb-2100-hal-ct-2100-co ... ?hilit=HAL

Halvar

29 Aug 2017, 10:37

@slom: That's an impressive number of pins on the PCB edge... Not to speak about those diodes that someone added... :D

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

29 Aug 2017, 10:53

Keybug

29 Aug 2017, 11:49

Those Nixies aren't Nixies but this, whatever that is (photo from seller):
Siemens-Nixdorf-keyboard.jpg
Siemens-Nixdorf-keyboard.jpg (207.14 KiB) Viewed 16188 times

Keybug

29 Aug 2017, 11:52

So Nixies are now very yesteryear? Someone told me as recently as three months ago that the Siemens Nixie boards sell for around 500€. Maybe the news hadn't reached China by then...

seebart

29 Aug 2017, 12:41

Keybug wrote: Those Nixies aren't Nixies but this, whatever that is (photo from seller):
Siemens-Nixdorf-keyboard.jpg
Those are Nixdorf magnetic switches, far superior to MX in any and every way! I did a review on them here:

keyboards-f2/nixdorf-sm-8890-t14370.html?hilit=Nixdorf

Chyros

29 Aug 2017, 17:05

Nixdorf magnetic valve. Surely much more interesting than MX, why don't THESE go for €500 instead?! xD

Return to “Other external”