Laser Cut Replacement iMate Case

gmjhowe

07 Mar 2013, 14:44

I recently got my hands on an iMate - http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8 ... t5300.html

I decided to pop it open to take some pictures of the internals, however the case is held together with little pins made of glass which all broke despite being careful.

That blue case was outdated anyway!

Here is my new case, designed to hold the cables and connectors snuggly, 6 layers of 3mm acrylic held together with nylon screw.

I have a refined version I am working on, hoping to get it down to 4 or 5 layers. Then I am happy to sell them at cost to anyone who wants/needs one. I know a few people on the iMate thread I linked above had broken cases.
gmjMate-3.jpg
gmjMate-3.jpg (622.34 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
gmjMate-1.jpg
gmjMate-1.jpg (546.55 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
gmjMate-2.jpg
gmjMate-2.jpg (600.31 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

Ascaii
The Beard

07 Mar 2013, 14:47

I would be interested, looking good.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

07 Mar 2013, 16:04

Taking orders?

gmjhowe

07 Mar 2013, 18:32

Yeah, I am happy to take orders for these, small package to post out as well.

Gonna design a second option, then people can choose. Also, people can choose different colour acrylic and inlay for the text. (This one is white inlaid text and red 'edge lit' acylic)

imp

07 Mar 2013, 18:47

Is it me, or was the lasers beam not in an right angle with the working surface? Anyway, it looks shiny :).

gmjhowe

07 Mar 2013, 19:00

imp wrote:Is it me, or was the lasers beam not in an right angle with the working surface? Anyway, it looks shiny :).
Yep, our laser cutter needs new mirrors and realignment. Part of the reason for wanting to do another prototype is because the laser should be operating better by then.

Charlie_Brown_MX

08 Mar 2013, 10:08

Even though the iMate I use *isn’t* busted, I’m tempted. What colours of acrylic do you have?

<-- Obviously, this is the colour I want.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

08 Mar 2013, 11:10

lovely sandwich :)

gmjhowe

08 Mar 2013, 11:11

I actually have some transparent 'eye-gouging key lime' colour stuff available.
I almost used it for the prototype to match my 'acid green' office colour scheme. However its not quite green enough to match.

Grond

08 Mar 2013, 12:45

Nice! Looks like a case like this could be handy for teensy converters as well.

Charlie_Brown_MX

08 Mar 2013, 13:17

gmjhowe wrote:I actually have some transparent 'eye-gouging key lime' colour stuff available.
I almost used it for the prototype to match my 'acid green' office colour scheme. However its not quite green enough to match.
Great. Any idea on cost?

Return to “Workshop”