fightfing with an infinity keyoard – a switch is not working

julientaq

09 Jan 2016, 11:50

Hello guys.

Bought this infinity keyboard with MX-black, but stiff ain’t my thing.

SO i bought some 45 spring that i put in those switches.

Since i was overconfident, i broke some switches that I replaced with some steelseries 6G switches i had at home

Everything runs smooth, but the last button is not working. Impossible to make it work (i tried two different switches, but it looks like it does nothing)

Something else, some switches have resistor inside, some just a bended metal thing, and some have nothing. Does it have something to do with it?

The number behind the faulty switch is 63,

so here i am, clueless. and i’d be happy if anyone would have an idea since it should be my right arrow.

Thanks a lot guys.

Ju

Matt_

09 Jan 2016, 14:05

Can you take a picture of the faulty switch? Did you open it and messed with the metal leaf spring?

If you replaced it, reflow your solder connections, you may have a cold joint.

julientaq

09 Jan 2016, 15:16

here is the pic,

what’s a cold joint?

thanks.

chzel

09 Jan 2016, 15:30

Basically you have lifted the pad where the leg should be soldered (the lower one as you see it in you pic).
Bend the leg toward the other pad (upwards in your pic) and solder it there.
Then go to your other joints and do them again with about 10x the amount of solder you have used.
The joint should be a shiny cone that covers the whole pad.

Matt_

09 Jan 2016, 17:08

Agreed, there is not enough solder on any of these joints, so it would not be surprising for you to find further problems down the road. Here is a quick soldering guide which should be helpful: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... lder-joint

julientaq

10 Jan 2016, 08:50

Thanks guys, i discovered that the last time i did something nice with a soldering iron was 1990,

The soldering joint were already there when i bought the keyboard, didn’t think it could be wrong,

So, i tried to do that
Basically you have lifted the pad where the leg should be soldered (the lower one as you see it in you pic).
Bend the leg toward the other pad (upwards in your pic) and solder it there
I think i made it worse now, didn’t i?

is there anyway to save pad that may be broken?
Do you think it can be the result of a cheap and bad quality soldering iron?

Thanks a lot

Return to “Workshop”