Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

FearsomeCubedWarrior

15 Apr 2017, 09:12

Any hint on color options?
Monday is coming.

Phenix
-p

15 Apr 2017, 13:52

Thanks that you look into the ergodox kit!

do you want to do something Granite like (so text) or something like semiotic (symbols for highlightning) or blanks (cf carbon dox)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Apr 2017, 14:09

FearsomeCubedWarrior wrote: Any hint on color options?
Monday is coming.
beige and TA-like (with some color accents)
Phenix wrote: Thanks that you look into the ergodox kit!

do you want to do something Granite like (so text) or something like semiotic (symbols for highlightning) or blanks (cf carbon dox)
I believe it will be close to granite, but some keys will be with icons. I'll post all kits in a couple of house so you guys can spot errors and give feedback

ideus

15 Apr 2017, 16:35

matt3o wrote: I have no experience with ergodox, if I had to design a set it would be a guesstimate. I've made an ergodox kit for granite but DSA is a flat profile so definitely simpler. If any Ergodox user wants to design the ergo kit I'm more than happy to include it.

In the mean time
DevTty_TKL_C1R03.jpg
It is a great design work, congratulations.

e_l_tang

15 Apr 2017, 19:31

What's the rationale behind the flat bottom row? Why would I want to use that over the angled one?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Apr 2017, 19:41

not final list of kits. I still miss a bunch of them.

zslane

15 Apr 2017, 19:58

Excellent kits.

Will there be icon mods for the bottom row and the nav cluster keys?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Apr 2017, 20:00

we already have two color options and two bottom rows, I can't really add an icon mod this time around

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Apr 2017, 20:04

e_l_tang wrote:What's the rationale behind the flat bottom row? Why would I want to use that over the angled one?
The angled bottom row in this profile will be even taller and steeper than OEM. So for those who, like me, hit the space bar with the side of our thumbs, the impact will be right on that sharp corner. Both flat and angled bottom row keys will be included, so you can use one or the other or a combination of the two. Choice is good.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Apr 2017, 20:10

I hope there's going to be a novelties kit with "Transmit" enter key(s) and other goodies...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Apr 2017, 20:14

I still miss ergodox, international and novelty keys.

also reviewing the current kits a bit more

Phenix
-p

15 Apr 2017, 20:24

The carbon dox kit is well done, likely an tty dox kit similar should be nice

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Apr 2017, 20:28

we don't have 1.50u for all rows. I have only row2 and row4/5.

Rowethren

15 Apr 2017, 20:38

matt3o wrote: I still miss ergodox, international and novelty keys.

also reviewing the current kits a bit more
Looks great so far, will the novelty kit include media keys for 108 layout?

e_l_tang

15 Apr 2017, 20:39

Techno Trousers wrote:
e_l_tang wrote:What's the rationale behind the flat bottom row? Why would I want to use that over the angled one?
The angled bottom row in this profile will be even taller and steeper than OEM. So for those who, like me, hit the space bar with the side of our thumbs, the impact will be right on that sharp corner. Both flat and angled bottom row keys will be included, so you can use one or the other or a combination of the two. Choice is good.
Now I see that there are two versions of the space bar, and yes, I agree that the flat one is better. But my question still applies for the other keycaps.

e_l_tang

15 Apr 2017, 20:41

matt3o wrote: we don't have 1.50u for all rows. I have only row2 and row4/5.
Doesn't that mean that an ErgoDox kit won't be possible?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Apr 2017, 20:46

we could do with all 1.5u in row5, which is flat

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

15 Apr 2017, 20:47

e_l_tang wrote: Now I see that there are two versions of the space bar, and yes, I agree that the flat one is better. But my question still applies for the other keycaps.
Because some people like symmetry? There was some early discussion about whether the bottom row should be angled or flat, and Matt3o decided to provide both. I don't know whether I'll go all flat or just the space bar--I'll need to see and feel then both on my own keyboard first.

Edit: a main historical reference for this profile was the IBM beamspring keyboards, and they have flat bottom rows. So there that, too.

e_l_tang

15 Apr 2017, 21:00

Techno Trousers wrote:
e_l_tang wrote: Now I see that there are two versions of the space bar, and yes, I agree that the flat one is better. But my question still applies for the other keycaps.
Because some people like symmetry? There was some early discussion about whether the bottom row should be angled or flat, and Matt3o decided to provide both. I don't know whether I'll go all flat or just the space bar--I'll need to see and feel then both on my own keyboard first.

Edit: a main historical reference for this profile was the IBM beamspring keyboards, and they have flat bottom rows. So there that, too.
Well if you think about it the fingers need to curl more to reach the space bar row than they do to reach the bottom row. So there's no sense in making the keycaps on the space bar row are less angled than the keycaps on the bottom row.

e_l_tang

15 Apr 2017, 21:02

matt3o wrote: we could do with all 1.5u in row5, which is flat
Does that mean the whole kit will be flat, or that it will have different profiles on the same row?

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 Apr 2017, 21:37

Really a great design, I like the font, the symbols have the right size next to the fonts like on SHIFT, well done!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

15 Apr 2017, 21:58

@matt3o - You've absolutely killed it with this project and set a new standard in design. Absolutely beautiful. The contemporary refinement to a classic style is perfect. Excellent work, I'm glad you didn't rush this.

zslane

15 Apr 2017, 22:02

e_l_tang wrote:
Techno Trousers wrote:

Well if you think about it the fingers need to curl more to reach the space bar row than they do to reach the bottom row. So there's no sense in making the keycaps on the space bar row are less angled than the keycaps on the bottom row.
Well if you think about it, what the fingers do is highly dependent on typing style, the height of the keys relative to the height of one's hands (which can change based on things like wristrests, sitting height and angle, posture, etc.), and so all you can really say is that your fingers curl in a particular way. Please don't presume to know what other people need.

Phenix
-p

15 Apr 2017, 22:08

For the dox 1. 5u keys:
(if row 5 is the angled one)
1:Row5, inverted
2:row4
3:row2
4:row2
5:row4

(tough this is just an idea. I am just trying to adjust the 1. 5u keys to the slope of the alphas)

e_l_tang

15 Apr 2017, 22:30

zslane wrote:
e_l_tang wrote: Well if you think about it the fingers need to curl more to reach the space bar row than they do to reach the bottom row. So there's no sense in making the keycaps on the space bar row are less angled than the keycaps on the bottom row.
Well if you think about it, what the fingers do is highly dependent on typing style, the height of the keys relative to the height of one's hands (which can change based on things like wristrests, sitting height and angle, posture, etc.), and so all you can really say is that your fingers curl in a particular way. Please don't presume to know what other people need.
So if assumptions shouldn't be made about what people need, then explain to me why every key isn't being provided in every profile.

Phenix
-p

15 Apr 2017, 22:37

e_l_tang wrote:
zslane wrote:
e_l_tang wrote: Well if you think about it the fingers need to curl more to reach the space bar row than they do to reach the bottom row. So there's no sense in making the keycaps on the space bar row are less angled than the keycaps on the bottom row.
So if assumptions shouldn't be made about what people need, then explain to me why every key isn't being provided in every profile.
Price for one obviously

Phenix
-p

15 Apr 2017, 22:37

e_l_tang wrote:
zslane wrote:
Price for one obviously

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Apr 2017, 23:26

Phenix wrote: For the dox 1. 5u keys:
(if row 5 is the angled one)
1:Row5, inverted
2:row4
3:row2
4:row2
5:row4

(tough this is just an idea. I am just trying to adjust the 1. 5u keys to the slope of the alphas)
R5 is the flat one but I got the gist. I'm afraid ergodox would be less than optimal until we don't have all 1.5u keys

codemonkeymike

16 Apr 2017, 02:08

Yes I am "that guy", wax poetic about vim and colemak. Have you heard the good word of our lord Bram Moolenaar?

leitimmel

16 Apr 2017, 09:14

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like there is no kit that includes a 6u spacebar, which is required for all those poor souls typing on razer keyboards ;)

EDIT: Cherry G80-1800 as well

Return to “Workshop”