Split ergonomic keyboard project

ondast

15 Aug 2012, 08:51

bpiphany wrote:I received 10 IO-expanders, and USB contacts, 1000 SOD-123 diodes, plus a lot of other stuff yesterday. Less than 48 hours from order with mouser to delivery in Sweden! Mouser don't have the 3.5mm connector though, and I think I will be satisfied with having a fixed cable. All the stock ones I have found are very long...

I don't know if dox and ic07 need any new components, but they are getting some of the prototype boards. They are half way completed at pcbwing. So they should arrive in a week or so. I will have some extra components when this thing rolls out for real. And if anyone want me to do some of the soldering I can probably do that for a few dollars extra. Need to work towards paying off my soldering station =D
Did you get the PCBs yet? It would be nice to see them in action :) I think you could probably find 3.5 mm connectors locally, at Clas Ohlson or similar stores.

bpiphany

17 Aug 2012, 00:17

Look what no one but me have got =D
stack.JPG
stack.JPG (176.69 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
split.JPG
split.JPG (157.03 KiB) Viewed 5229 times

dox

17 Aug 2012, 00:34

I knew it! Very nice bpiphany, I can't wait to test it!

ironman31

17 Aug 2012, 00:37

O snap

bpiphany

17 Aug 2012, 00:41

I almost didn't get them today. I called FedEx and asked them to send them to another address where I was today. The guy on the phone said that would be fine. Then I got a text from my flatmate telling me I had gotten a package =P Luckily she was at home today... When I came home she "made" me watch a movie with her (don't tell her I said that...) Soldering will be for tomorrow. Now I am off to bed.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Aug 2012, 00:46

Looking good!

nodnerb

17 Aug 2012, 01:23

Great job on the pcb design!!

DV, could you please add me to the list? Thanks. Definitely in for the PCB (1 pair) and we'll see about cases when the prices are known for sure.

Djuzuh

17 Aug 2012, 02:00

This PCB will only take platemounted switches, amirite?

justcallmecrash

17 Aug 2012, 02:07

Djuzuh wrote:This PCB will only take platemounted switches, amirite?
If you notice the two small holes either side (directly either side) of the larger center hole.... Those are for PCB mounted switches.

Djuzuh

17 Aug 2012, 02:09

justcallmecrash wrote:
Djuzuh wrote:This PCB will only take platemounted switches, amirite?
If you notice the two small holes either side (directly either side) of the larger center hole.... Those are for PCB mounted switches.

Oh thanks, didn't see those !

That's excellent news ! It means I don't need to get a case to make proper use of it !

ic07

17 Aug 2012, 05:27

dox wrote:I knew it! Very nice bpiphany, I can't wait to test it!
Yay! Me either :)

bpiphany

17 Aug 2012, 11:56

So I did all the diodes this morning, and some of the other components I had at home. I don't actually have any Teensy in good enough condition. I think I am going to put it in a socket on my own ErgoDox as well, to be able to remove it easily for other purposes.

Here is a higher resolution picture, sorry about the dust and flux residues. I should give them a proper rubbing alcohol bath...
SOD123.JPG
SOD123.JPG (998.48 KiB) Viewed 5166 times
I will ship dox and ic07 their boards today.

Icarium

17 Aug 2012, 12:16

That is fucking sexy.

Edit: I want that as header image!

Findecanor

17 Aug 2012, 14:35

I have got a couple unused Teensy, but no pins. You could have them this afternoon.
I wouldn't mind coming over to see these in real life ...

bpiphany

17 Aug 2012, 14:46

That would have been nice =) But I am working tonight, and tomorrow there is a crayfish party, and then I am going to work all night again after that =P And now I am headed off to my grandpa with his new computer. How can there be so little time in one week =D

And the Phantoms including my Teensy will ship any day now, right?.... No, when I have installed the sockets I can insert one of my beat up Teensys and try with that.

Edit: Ha, just found some sockets =) But first my grandpa...

Icarium

17 Aug 2012, 14:50

I want to ask what a crayfish party is but I don't want to get this thread OT it's already super long. :)
We need a "thread fork" extension for the board. ...yeah even further OT >_<

ondast

17 Aug 2012, 15:08

Icarium

17 Aug 2012, 15:12

"A rowdy atmosphere prevails amid noisy eating and traditional drinking songs (snapsvisa). The alcohol consumption is often high, [...]"

:D :D :D

justcallmecrash

17 Aug 2012, 15:13

That sounds like a friggin PARTY. I've been trying for some time to convince the wife we need to move to Scandinavia... maybe one day.

damorgue

17 Aug 2012, 15:14

There is usually very little work done the day after too :)

I checked the price of printing the case in titanium, and it is quite expensive, almost to the point where it would probably be cheaper to mill it from a block of aluminum unfortunately.

Findecanor

17 Aug 2012, 18:05

For some people, eating crayfish is somewhat of an excuse for drinking schnaps. ;)

regack

17 Aug 2012, 19:14

Those boards look fantastic! It's funny to see all those nice little SMD Diodes... then that huge old Ceramic Cap hiding out in the back, almost like it's bowing down to the SMDs.

bpiphany

17 Aug 2012, 21:25

I'm a bus driver so my alcohol consumption will be none, and I am not really a fan of crayfish either =P I will just bring some meatballs or something =D But I'll be working 2:40-10:30 tonight and then 1:30-10:00 tomorrow night, and most of today afternoon was spent exporting Outlook Express data into Thunderbird. So no soldering until Sunday evening probably.

mSSM

17 Aug 2012, 21:27

bpiphany wrote:I'm a bus driver so my alcohol consumption will be none, and I am not really a fan of crayfish either =P I will just bring some meatballs or something =D But I'll be working 2:40-10:30 tonight and then 1:30-10:00 tomorrow night, and most of today afternoon was spent exporting Outlook Express data into Thunderbird. So no soldering until Sunday evening probably.
Quite the occupation for someone with mad CAD skills, bringing our dreams to life! Almost like Bruce Wayne... :shock:

bpiphany

17 Aug 2012, 21:38

regack wrote:Those boards look fantastic! It's funny to see all those nice little SMD Diodes... then that huge old Ceramic Cap hiding out in the back, almost like it's bowing down to the SMDs.
I didn't know they were going to b that big.. I just got the cheapishest 100nF ceramic caps there were. They are only for decoupling and apparently the previous ErgoDoxes have been doing just fine without them.

ondast

17 Aug 2012, 23:25

Haha, yeah, they felt like back to the 90s :)

mSSM

18 Aug 2012, 00:09

Could you guys explain what those caps and diodes are good for?

JBert

18 Aug 2012, 00:19

The diodes make sure that the current only flows in one direction - preventing shortcuts in the keyboard matrix which would make the keyboard 2KRO (details left out for brevity).

The capacitor is likely only there to prevent a current spike when the keyboard is turned on - after all, this keyboard has electronics in both parts and powering up everything at the same time might confuse your computer's USB host.

bpiphany

18 Aug 2012, 07:57

mSSM wrote:
bpiphany wrote:I'm a bus driver so my alcohol consumption will be none, and I am not really a fan of crayfish either =P I will just bring some meatballs or something =D But I'll be working 2:40-10:30 tonight and then 1:30-10:00 tomorrow night, and most of today afternoon was spent exporting Outlook Express data into Thunderbird. So no soldering until Sunday evening probably.
Quite the occupation for someone with mad CAD skills, bringing our dreams to life! Almost like Bruce Wayne... :shock:
More like Casey Ryback perhaps. "I'm just the bus driver..."

Let's see if this thing actually works before judging the madness of my skillz.
JBert wrote:The capacitor is likely only there to prevent a current spike when the keyboard is turned on - after all, this keyboard has electronics in both parts and powering up everything at the same time might confuse your computer's USB host.
As I understand it, they are in fact used to prevent dips in the supply, as well as to reduce EMI.

Jim66

18 Aug 2012, 13:12

Ohhhhh, this is looking good.

Return to “Workshop”