Split ergonomic keyboard project

Djuzuh

24 Aug 2012, 19:18

bpiphany wrote:For the 5000001st time, it's programmable... Set it up whatever way you want. The similarities with the standard qwerty layout are pretty dim, asking about "the iso key" makes absolutely no sense =P

I think he was talking about adding a switch, because iso has one more switch than AINSI.

bpiphany

24 Aug 2012, 19:39

Still doesn't make much sense.. A standard ISO board is what 105 keys, 88 keys, something else close to 88 keys? The ergodox is 76 keys, or 80 keys with split thumb keys. ...2nd time, it's programmable do whatever you feel like =D

OrangeJewce

24 Aug 2012, 22:25

Can someone Add the fact the KB will be fully programmable in like 200pt font to the OP? Please?

Cheers,

ic07

25 Aug 2012, 02:02

Actually, maybe we need to get an FAQ up on http://ergodox.org (written for non-technical people, but not oversimplified), and point everyone to that - including in the text of the OP, if Dox wants. Or something like that. I know it gets annoying, but telling people to RTF[Thread] doesn't keep the next new person from asking the same question 3 comments down.. :) . And it seems like we're getting to the point where this project is starting to generate lots of non-technical interest. Which I think is (and will be more, once we get to the group buy) a net positive, as long as we don't get distracted.. :) . This can't be a new problem on interest tracking threads. What's worked in the past?

gilsoriano

25 Aug 2012, 11:36

Hi all,

new to the forum, hi to everyone and remarks for such a good job. Seriously, I was looking for a new keyboard and this free project is truly awesome! Count me in for purchasing a whole keyboard.

Apart from that, I've taking a look to the Kicad files and I think that they are outdated from the final design you have send to PCB guys. Can you upload a newer version of them?

Then, some extra thoughts:
- There's one thing that I love of my laptop keyboard and it is the backlit effect. Can we add it (dimming upon last keystroke would be great, btw)?
- Wireless: I've seen that you're thinking about a wireless extension of the keyboard. It would be pretty awesome having it!

In any case, I can offer some help with both issues, just PM if you want me to put some effort in it :-)

Cheers and congrats for such an impressive good job!

Findecanor

25 Aug 2012, 16:09

Making a keyboard wireless is far from straightforward. It would be a lot of work. Would wireless really be necessary? I think that a mediacenter keyboard would need wireless, but I don't find it necessary for a desktop computer.

bisl

25 Aug 2012, 17:35

gilsoriano wrote: - There's one thing that I love of my laptop keyboard and it is the backlit effect.
My impression right now is that what you'll get through this purchase, when it happens, is a PCB and a case, i.e. explicitly not the switches or keycaps. I believe this is because of the extremely varied range of tastes in switch feel and actuation force, as well as creativity in keycap.

Finally, backlighting as I understand it (again correct me if I'm wrong) is part of the switch, and the transparency part of the keycap--so I think you should be able to just buy LED switches and transparent caps?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Djuzuh

25 Aug 2012, 17:40

bisl wrote:
gilsoriano wrote: - There's one thing that I love of my laptop keyboard and it is the backlit effect.
My impression right now is that what you'll get through this purchase, when it happens, is a PCB and a case, i.e. explicitly not the switches or keycaps. I believe this is because of the extremely varied range of tastes in switch feel and actuation force, as well as creativity in keycap.

Finally, backlighting as I understand it (again correct me if I'm wrong) is part of the switch, and the transparency part of the keycap--so I think you should be able to just buy LED switches and transparent caps?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

you are able to buy them, but the trace to power the leds are not available on the PCB.

So they won't light up xD.

maxrunner

25 Aug 2012, 18:26

bpiphany wrote:For the 5000001st time, it's programmable... Set it up whatever way you want. The similarities with the standard qwerty layout are pretty dim, asking about "the iso key" makes absolutely no sense =P
The iso key is a physical key. So im not really following...

maxrunner

25 Aug 2012, 18:31

bpiphany wrote:Still doesn't make much sense.. A standard ISO board is what 105 keys, 88 keys, something else close to 88 keys? The ergodox is 76 keys, or 80 keys with split thumb keys. ...2nd time, it's programmable do whatever you feel like =D
yep depending of windows keys etc...the Topre tenkeyless uk edition has 88 keys because it adds the iso key next to the left shift.

bpiphany

25 Aug 2012, 18:52

...3rd(?) It's programmable =P What you see is what you get. Did you look? 38 keys per half (40 if you split the thumb keys), they are all programmable (...4th). There is no "the whatever key", it simply doesn't make sense to say anything like that.

maxrunner

25 Aug 2012, 19:18

Ok lolol, i'm just confused with the possibility of losing that key physically...obviously i understand you can map any key but the point was mapping it without losing another. But yeah i understand i can map it because i have ansi keyboards and i map that key to another two, its just a preference.

OrangeJewce

25 Aug 2012, 19:53

maxrunner wrote:Ok lolol, i'm just confused with the possibility of losing that key physically...obviously i understand you can map any key but the point was mapping it without losing another. But yeah i understand i can map it because i have ansi keyboards and i map that key to another two, its just a preference.
You're losing more than that key. You're losing several (12). In exchange you get the ergonomic format that Dox designed, and full programmibility. You can have any layout you want, across several layers.

Cheers,

OrangeJewce

25 Aug 2012, 19:54

gilsoriano wrote:Hi all,

new to the forum, hi to everyone and remarks for such a good job. Seriously, I was looking for a new keyboard and this free project is truly awesome! Count me in for purchasing a whole keyboard.

Apart from that, I've taking a look to the Kicad files and I think that they are outdated from the final design you have send to PCB guys. Can you upload a newer version of them?

Then, some extra thoughts:
- There's one thing that I love of my laptop keyboard and it is the backlit effect. Can we add it (dimming upon last keystroke would be great, btw)?
- Wireless: I've seen that you're thinking about a wireless extension of the keyboard. It would be pretty awesome having it!

In any case, I can offer some help with both issues, just PM if you want me to put some effort in it :-)

Cheers and congrats for such an impressive good job!
Again, the design of this board is FINAL. No changes will be made. No wireless, etc. Sorry but we want the board as much as everyone else! And it's been almost a year already.

Cheers,

gilsoriano

25 Aug 2012, 19:55

bisl wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi bisi,

hehehe, yes, you're wrong ;-)

I'm just giving some ideas for another design, because right know it is imposible to put the LEDs in the design. Indeed, I think the most complex part of the design is already achieved and the result is IMPRESSIVE. The layout is beautiful and the configuration is awesome.

The idea for the backlit is basically the same as it is done for the keys of a keyboard, add some control lines that multiplex some LEDs in the board. For instance, we can group by rows, so in the MCU we have the chance to produce vertical fading.

Then, the case of the dimming is different. Typically is easily achievable by flickering the control lines of the LEDs. When you're flickering the ligths it has different effects such as a reduction in current consumption, attenuation of the lighting an generating delta-I noise (take care in very sensitive mixed designs).

About the wireless... There is one thing I haven't thought about it. There are two seperate keyboards connected each other by a cable. So that means another trx... In any case, I'm still thinking the same: it is not that complicated and, at least for me, I see a big advantage of having a wireless device. When I'm at work I usually have to deal with a lot of cables, papers and more things on my desktop. I much prefer having everything tidy and the wireless functionality is a winner. Does it make a more expensive device? Yes. Is it that expensive? It is, but not that expensive (equivalent to add 10 to 15 swithces with their keycaps, I guess..)

Anyway, that were my two cents! ;-)

ic07

25 Aug 2012, 23:43

gilsoriano wrote:Hi bisi,

hehehe, yes, you're wrong ;-)

I'm just giving some ideas for another design, because right know it is imposible to put the LEDs in the design. Indeed, I think the most complex part of the design is already achieved and the result is IMPRESSIVE. The layout is beautiful and the configuration is awesome.

The idea for the backlit is basically the same as it is done for the keys of a keyboard, add some control lines that multiplex some LEDs in the board. For instance, we can group by rows, so in the MCU we have the chance to produce vertical fading.

Then, the case of the dimming is different. Typically is easily achievable by flickering the control lines of the LEDs. When you're flickering the ligths it has different effects such as a reduction in current consumption, attenuation of the lighting an generating delta-I noise (take care in very sensitive mixed designs).

About the wireless... There is one thing I haven't thought about it. There are two seperate keyboards connected each other by a cable. So that means another trx... In any case, I'm still thinking the same: it is not that complicated and, at least for me, I see a big advantage of having a wireless device. When I'm at work I usually have to deal with a lot of cables, papers and more things on my desktop. I much prefer having everything tidy and the wireless functionality is a winner. Does it make a more expensive device? Yes. Is it that expensive? It is, but not that expensive (equivalent to add 10 to 15 swithces with their keycaps, I guess..)

Anyway, that were my two cents! ;-)
:) . The problem I see with supporting all those key switch LEDs on the board though is not the extra holes, but the extra traces and the lack of pins (and PWM on those pins) to control them. You can take a look at our pinouts (for the Teensy and the I/O expander) if you like. And Dox has been adamant in the past about using at most 1 Teensy and 1 I/O expander. About wireless, I think Dox has specifically said no to that, since he doesn't want batteries. So, especially given how close we seem to shipping, I'd consider either mod unlikely (sorry). If you end up hand wiring a mod after the group buy though, please post pictures :) I'd be excited to see them. And I'm really glad you like the project! I found it in about the same way, and got involved in the firmware coz Dox said that if someone implemented I2C then we wouldn't have to live with an (ugly) 16 pin (or something) connector.. lol :) . Welcome to deskthority :) .

gilsoriano

26 Aug 2012, 01:36

hey, ho!

Well, I've taken another look to the design and it seems that whereas the left parts uses a GPIO expander (I do like MCP23018) the right one is not using it. This is due to the fact that the atmega32u (MCU in Teensy) has only 1 I2C port. I think that it could have been good having expanders at both sides and instead of using Teensy(paying twice for USB connector and pins), just layouting an AT32UC3L064, for instance. It would have probably been cheaper, and your code would work with not mayor changes in that other MCU from the mega32 family.

By the way, I read that you had one doubt with the 2K2 resistors of the I2C. The way of correctly setting up the pullup is as follows:
- First, you select the target speed you require in your I2C interface.
- Second, take a look to the I2C specifications from Philips (NXP) for the rise-time. The value of the rise-time will be the target for your RC.
- Third, calculate the capacitance of your interface or just measure with a given resistance. Reduce the pullups (a.k.a. have a stronger pullup) if you're out of spec.
- TIP: if your RC is out of spec or in the limit, you can have undesired effects (as clock stretching because of weak pulling up) that will make your communication even slower. In any case, this won't a problem for keyboard because pressing a key is a really slow event.

So, yeah, I will probably do a hack whenever I receive the keyboard. Just replace the Teensy for a custom-made board with a different ATmega, two extra I2C expanders, a SPI wireless thingy, a flash-camera Li-rechargeable battery and the trickle for it. So that would be all. I think that all your code will be easilly portable, maybe the worst issue is adjusting the remaps in the MCU for being 100% compatible towards the GUI for custom layouts and, obviously, the battery saving schema. Bad memories of duty-cycling atmegas 128!! :o

The LEDs would be trickier but nothing is impossible ;-)

P.S.: help is welcome in the SPI interface :-D

ic07

26 Aug 2012, 07:48

gilsoriano wrote:hey, ho!

Well, I've taken another look to the design and it seems that whereas the left parts uses a GPIO expander (I do like MCP23018) the right one is not using it. This is due to the fact that the atmega32u (MCU in Teensy) has only 1 I2C port. I think that it could have been good having expanders at both sides and instead of using Teensy(paying twice for USB connector and pins), just layouting an AT32UC3L064, for instance. It would have probably been cheaper, and your code would work with not mayor changes in that other MCU from the mega32 family.

By the way, I read that you had one doubt with the 2K2 resistors of the I2C. The way of correctly setting up the pullup is as follows:
- Second, take a look to the I2C specifications from Philips (NXP) for the rise-time. The value of the rise-time will be the target for your RC.
- Third, calculate the capacitance of your interface or just measure with a given resistance. Reduce the pullups (a.k.a. have a stronger pullup) if you're out of spec.
- TIP: if your RC is out of spec or in the limit, you can have undesired effects (as clock stretching because of weak pulling up) that will make your communication even slower. In any case, this won't a problem for keyboard because pressing a key is a really slow event.

So, yeah, I will probably do a hack whenever I receive the keyboard. Just replace the Teensy for a custom-made board with a different ATmega, two extra I2C expanders, a SPI wireless thingy, a flash-camera Li-rechargeable battery and the trickle for it. So that would be all. I think that all your code will be easilly portable, maybe the worst issue is adjusting the remaps in the MCU for being 100% compatible towards the GUI for custom layouts and, obviously, the battery saving schema. Bad memories of duty-cycling atmegas 128!! :o

I2C is a bus protocol, so we could have 2 I/O expanders going. It's kind of slow though (beside space considerations), so having 1 for each side would bring down the scan rate to below 100Hz (which would be fine, but too much slower might be undesirable). Really I think we're using the Teensy because 1) they're soooo common, and 2) the tiny little SMT components we'd have to be soldering if we used the chip directly (or the space things would take up if we didn't) would be beyond most people's capabilities (including mine).

FWIW, I'm fairly confident 2.2kΩ is a good value. I didn't actually ever do the math though... :)

LEDs will be trickier? lol. Not that I'd know. But it seems like they wouldn't. Just run a Teensy++ on both sides (with half the pins soldered in, and the other half left out, and used for hand wired stuff), or get a couple I2C controllers with PWM outputs. Or if you don't care about fading too much, just wire the things up with resistors and pull power from the controller :) . And it seems like the LED pins could be brought out between the switch and the top of the PCB without way too much effort. But I'm still waiting for my switches to arrive, so I've never actually seen one in person. It just seems to me like it'd work... :)

About SPI, sorry, I've never used it. Can't be too bad though, judging from how well supported I2C is, in the ATMega processor we're using at least :) .

If you actually do get all that done, I will be rather jealous :) lol. I *wish* I still had time to keep trying new stuff instead of just finishing what I've got going already. But alas, school is starting.

:)

gilsoriano

26 Aug 2012, 09:44

yes, ic07, I2C has seven bit addressing. I thought of having them separately to not reduce that much the multiplexing.

Sure that I2C is working fine in mega's! :D But the issue of the resistor is something commom I've seen in designs. It works, but slower.

LEDs... it is all about being stylish :D. I thought of putting some SMD bicolour LEDs for cool fadding, but do not really know because wiring both pins would be an impossible chore. They should be low power (2mA), otherwise I will go for white ones, in which it will be quite straightforward.

SPI works fine in mega's, I can tell you, but as everything in electronics, it takes way more time than desired :(

maxrunner

26 Aug 2012, 18:01

Will there be an option for assembling? i don't have soldering experience, although i intend to change this.

damorgue

26 Aug 2012, 18:32

maxrunner wrote:Will there be an option for assembling? i don't have soldering experience, although i intend to change this.
dorkvader wrote: Here is a list of people interested in receiving an assembled keyboard.
*LIST*

I am considering a soldering service: if someone else wants to do this, I'll add their info, but if no-one else wants to, I might do it. Anything to help the project!

List of people offering some sort of soldering/assembly service

Code: Select all

Dork Vader (USA)
Geekabit (EU)
(I am sure there will be others when the time comes)

bpiphany

26 Aug 2012, 19:25

If I know what to look for I can probably measure the rise time of those signals tomorrow when I'm at my oscilloscope's.

Perhaps you also are the one to ask if you know if the controllers (eg atmega32u?) can be used as I2C slaves. They are not that expensive and it would be easier layout wise to use the same chip on both sides. If there will be a next generation ergodox drawn by me it will for sure have the controller mounted directly at the main board, and the top empty part of the PCB rationalized away, there is plenty of space elsewhere to fit a controller (even using a different chip for the expander).

Don't worry about the GUI, I don't think it will be too hard for people editing the source files and compiling themselves.

dirge

26 Aug 2012, 19:42

damorgue wrote: List of people offering some sort of soldering/assembly service

Code: Select all

Dork Vader (USA)
Geekabit (EU)
(I am sure there will be others when the time comes)
I can help with UK soldering if people are patient. Takes me ages to do anything.... Or if your in the Newcastle area pop over.

gilsoriano

26 Aug 2012, 20:49

bpiphany wrote:

If I know what to look for I can probably measure the rise time of those signals tomorrow when I'm at my oscilloscope's.

Perhaps you also are the one to ask if you know if the controllers (eg atmega32u?) can be used as I2C slaves. They are not that expensive and it would be easier layout wise to use the same chip on both sides. If there will be a next generation ergodox drawn by me it will for sure have the controller mounted directly at the main board, and the top empty part of the PCB rationalized away, there is plenty of space elsewhere to fit a controller (even using a different chip for the expander).

Don't worry about the GUI, I don't think it will be too hard for people editing the source files and compiling themselves.
TA-DA! Application note from AVR. AN311:http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc2565.pdf

So yeah, it seems that you can do it. It will be interrupt-driven, so if you attach the oscilloscope to the line you can randomly experience the clock-stretching in the line (in case you connect the oscilloscope). Don't worry, it is completely normal.

BTW, which will be the master and what for?

I really like mcp23108, I've used them before and are inexpensive and fine. Keep in mind: performance and money, both matters!

And another tip, I personally prefer SMC to THC. In the case of the keyboard, you have plenty of package options, so as to choose one with a big pitch, and resistors and capacitors bigger that 0603 (you can do the same bridging as with THC, for one-sided or two-sided boards). If you're gonna solder everything, just buy some flux, a cheap solder iron, solder wire with resine and you're done. I would say that they are way easy to desolder, specially in more than two-sided boards in which some uncouncious layouters don't leave the thermal pads in the corresponding connective layer. Don't panic this is not the case ;-)!

Count me in for the board+case+components! I will solder the board myself.

bpiphany

26 Aug 2012, 22:52

The $2 for the expander compared to $6 for the ATmega really isn't much compared to all other components and the PCB in this case =P Using the same chip on both halves make it a little bit simpler to do a combined left/right hand side design.

I have no problem whatsoever soldering the 0.8mm pitch TQFPs, SOICs are about the same pitch I think (ok, actually quite a bit larger 0.5" or 1.27mm), and the SSOP the MCP23018 comes in is 0.65mm which shouldn't be too bad either. QFNs on the other hand I'm still waiting to try to hand solder... 0603s I'm totally fine with as well, 0402s are getting small =D

The GND pads on the prototype boards have thermal reliefs, but I don't know if I made them a bit wide. I noticed it took some effort to get a good solder joint to those pads. I am using lead free solder though, but my soldering station should be capable of outputting 45W. So some patience is required there...

maxrunner

27 Aug 2012, 02:30

also i assume we can choose the switch type/combo?

damorgue

27 Aug 2012, 05:21

maxrunner wrote:also i assume we can choose the switch type/combo?
No switches are included here I believe, you will need to get them elsewhere. 7bit currently has a group buy running for switches.

richie

27 Aug 2012, 07:33

Aggh cant wait for this keyboard!!!
Thinking of how to set it up for Emacs :)

mSSM

27 Aug 2012, 12:23

richie wrote:Aggh cant wait for this keyboard!!!
Ez! If you get the keyboard, attach it to your computer, and replace Emacs with Vim, it will work flawlessly! :D

heuristicist

27 Aug 2012, 17:51

mSSM wrote:
richie wrote:Aggh cant wait for this keyboard!!!
Ez! If you get the keyboard, attach it to your computer, and replace Emacs with Vim, it will work flawlessly! :D
Brilliant!

Return to “Workshop”