Powder coating?

hoggy

01 Sep 2012, 19:13

I'm thinking of changing the colour of my filco case.

(I suppose the first question that comes to mind is "Am I being daft?")

Does anyone have any experience of powder coating?

fossala
Elite +1

01 Sep 2012, 19:26

Doesn't powder coating need to be done on metal? It's electrostatically charged and so it the material i.e. bike frame and that is what makes it stick.

hoggy

01 Sep 2012, 19:59

Thanks. I guess that means I was being daft. At least I didn't turn up at a paint shop with it...

dirge

01 Sep 2012, 22:50

It's baked.
Plastic would melt.

hoggy

01 Sep 2012, 23:02

...really glad I didn't turn up at a paint shop with it...

nathanscribe

02 Sep 2012, 13:06

Various companies make spray cans of paint that acts almost like a dye, sinking into the surface. Plasti-kote is available in the UK, for example, and I've seen other people get decent results from it, though I haven't tried it myself.

fossala
Elite +1

02 Sep 2012, 14:11

VHT is very good. I can take pics of it used on a unicomp (with rit dye for the caps) if you want.

Charlie_Brown_MX

02 Sep 2012, 14:29

fossala wrote:VHT is very good. I can take pics of it used on a unicomp (with rit dye for the caps) if you want.
I’d be interested in seeing the results. I have briefly considering painting my AEK and possibly dyeing the caps, but wasn’t sure how evenly I could apply the paint, and an uneven finish would drive me nuts.

fossala
Elite +1

02 Sep 2012, 14:32

OK, I'll dig it out in a minute. The stickers on the "blank" keycaps are because it's my Son's keyboard.

Return to “Workshop”