Split ergonomic keyboard project

dox

05 Sep 2012, 23:53

I added the part list to the website with links to online stores; http://ergodox.org/Hardware.aspx
I really need to find some time to put more info on there!

bill wrote:...
Thanks bill for the kind words and welcome to DeskThority!
I probably spent over 1000$ over the prototype and testing phase. I'm ok with that but if you feel like it (and that's very kind of you), my paypal is "dox_88 (at) hotmail (dot) com".

The case will not be a prerequisite for ordering the PCBs.
Dorkvader is keeping track of the interest and will add your name to the list. When the group buy will happen, you will be contacted with more information.

Keep us updated with you friend with the underused CNC. That could be an option if he can do it and the price is reasonable.

maxrunner

06 Sep 2012, 01:28

ic07 wrote:I'll have to let others reply to the rest, but just quick:
7. Install the drivers and any other appropriate software on my Win7 box
No drivers :) . OrangeJewce is making a UI for modifying the layers more easily, but the keyboard itself will work with the OS's default USB keyboard drivers. Depending on how distribution occurs, you may have to download -> install -> use the Teensy loader application from PJRC to load the firmware initially... but I'm sure we'll write a nice howto about that if it's necessary (and it's really simple).
8. Install preferred keyboard layout with layers!!!??? (am I crazy to think foot pedals would be good for layers, function and shift?)
The firmware will come with a default layout, but if you like another one better it should be easy to change. And foot pedals would be cool :) but you'd have to make the modifications yourself as far as I know. It wouldn't be hard in and of itself, depending on how you do it, but if you've never messed with microprocessor programming it could take a bit to figure out how to modify the firmware (which is the position I was in ~6 months ago). So I guess it depends how much time you want to put into it. It'd be fun though :)
what does layers and foot pedals here mean?

regards,

ic07

06 Sep 2012, 01:41

maxrunner wrote:what does layers and foot pedals here mean?
Layers are different mappings for the same set of physical keys. They allow you to assign different meanings to keys based on whether another key (a layer shift key) is pressed. For example, pressing [1] will send a '1' to the computer (predictably) - pressing [layer + 1] might send [F1] to the computer.

Foot pedals are keys (just like all the other keys on the keyboard) that happen to be attached to the main keyboard with a cord (usually) and made to be stepped on.

:)

dorkvader

06 Sep 2012, 04:27

Updated list again.

My friend has access to a lasercutter at the university here. He can probably make me a prototype (so no cheap cases via him). I will see about orchestrating with him to get a prototype layer case made. (that said, all the free CAD programs suck, so anyone with a little time might help with redrawing the case to reflect DOX's change in PCB design)

ironman31

06 Sep 2012, 04:35

not sure if it matters, but I am listed twice in the interest list. I will be getting one, with pcb, case, etc.

bill

06 Sep 2012, 05:37

dox wrote:I added the part list to the website with links to online stores; http://ergodox.org/Hardware.aspx
I really need to find some time to put more info on there!
Thanks for the parts list earlier bpiphany, and the parts list with links dox!
dox wrote:Thanks bill for the kind words and welcome to DeskThority!
It is rare to see a community pull together for such high quality, interesting and challenging project, not to mention so much of the heavy lifting to be done by just a few is even more impressive. Kind words are the least that can be given back.
dox wrote:The case will not be a prerequisite for ordering the PCBs.
Dorkvader is keeping track of the interest and will add your name to the list. When the group buy will happen, you will be contacted with more information.
Awesome!!
dox wrote: Keep us updated with you friend with the underused CNC. That could be an option if he can do it and the price is reasonable.
I certainly will

fossala
Elite +1

06 Sep 2012, 08:33

dorkvader wrote:that said, all the free CAD programs suck
What about kicad, I've only heard good things about it.

Icarium

06 Sep 2012, 08:59

I think kicad is not actually a cad programm but a program for creating pcb layouts instead.

justcallmecrash

06 Sep 2012, 16:37

So we definitely don't want the pinned version of the Teensy, right?
This is certainly getting exciting... any dev updates?

dirge

06 Sep 2012, 16:56

I thought we would need the one with legs the board has the holes for them? I could be wrong.

justcallmecrash

06 Sep 2012, 17:08

That's what I was thinking, but the linked part on the ergodox site is for the legless. It's only a $3 difference each, so it's not that big of a deal, I just want to be sure to get the right part.

dorkvader

06 Sep 2012, 17:12

You can just buy those pins from any electronics supplier (mouser, Digi-key, etc.

Bytheway, I didn't see any of those 4-conductor trrs jacks on mouser.

dirge

06 Sep 2012, 18:36

For the $3 just get it premade, saves the hassle.

bpiphany

06 Sep 2012, 18:40

Mouser don't have the correct 3.5mm jack. DigiKey has all necessary parts. I generally like Mouser better though. I think the Teensy with legs come with them only on the outer rows, and that is the way you'd want them. So there is really no difference which version you get. Except you need some way of mounting it to the PCB. Any old component lead will do. Header pins aren't for free either. Especially not from the electronics suppliers. They are usually available in bulk at ebay at better prices. It is always a good idea to team up for components as well as the price drops pretty much at 10 or so compared to 1.

fossala
Elite +1

08 Sep 2012, 21:37

Is there any ETA on this. Even a rough idea would be cool.

JesuswasaZombie

08 Sep 2012, 23:09

So should we be purchasing all the parts separately or is there going to be a group buy for everyone interested in the project?

A group buy of, let's say, kits minus switches would be fantastic and would substantially lower the cost of buying separate kits piece by piece right?

SubGothius

09 Sep 2012, 09:24

Just discovered this fantastic project here and at GH, whilst seeking alternatives to replace the NLA Datadesk SmartBoards I've been using that are finally starting to malfunction. After scanning over the ErgoDox threads on both fora, and bearing in mind what has already been finalzed by now, some modest suggestions that occurred to me.

For one thing, I wonder if the group-buys for PCBs and cases could each be done as separate deals; there seems to be a presumption that both PCBs and cases would only be offered together as an all-or-nothing package deal, but is there an economic rationale for this, since they'd each be produced separately anyway? If the PCBs are ready for release before case production details are ironed out, people could get their PCBs and start soldering those right away, and possibly even finish that job by the time casings are ready for purchase. Moreover, those who want to devise custom case/mounting solutions could see what they actually have to work with and decide whether or not their custom approach will work by the time the standard casings become available.

Speaking of which, a minimalist and (possibly) more affordable case/mounting solution also occurred to me. I've been using my SmartBoards with their top casing covers off for years now (after a couple rebuild/frankenstein operations made it seem a moot point), and have contemplated just taking the keying boards off the remaining base entirely and mounting them directly to a custom base, allowing for a fully custom/adjustable split angle and tenting, etc. This led me to wonder if, rather than necessarily having a full enclosure, we could have a single sheetmetal keyswitch-mounting plate simply extended out enough to fold over and down at the edges, thereby forming integral feet/risers, and/or just bolt generic hardware directly into that extended plate as feet/legs/risers of whatever height is desired? I'd probably also add at least a sheet of plastic or felt under the PCBs to protect the exposed traces and solder points there -- sure, it would make for a pretty raw look with the partially exposed circuitry and all, but I kinda dig that idea as seeming a bit cyberpunk, reminds me of the caseless CPU builds I've seen with all the components exposed and splayed out mounted on a wall or under a glass desktop. Builders who wanted to take this approach could just get a pair of extended keyswitch plates (with precut switch-mounting holes) to cut down, fold and manipulate however they wish, as a cheaper/more flexible option to the full-enclosure casing.

BTW, in case it wasn't obvious, I'd be in for (2) x pair of PCBs. :mrgreen:

dirge

09 Sep 2012, 09:26

Group buys can take forever too. Give people the option to get everything themselves too? Would learn more that way.

Icarium

09 Sep 2012, 10:47

As far as I remember case and PCB will be available separately but only at the same time to coerce them to buy the case because it might be cheaper with higher order volumes.

But maybe I misunderstood has anybody checked the FAQ? Ah...still doesn't seem to exist.

bill

09 Sep 2012, 23:39

SubGothius wrote: For one thing, I wonder if the group-buys for PCBs and cases could each be done as separate deals; there seems to be a presumption that both PCBs and cases would only be offered together as an all-or-nothing package deal, but is there an economic rationale for this, since they'd each be produced separately anyway? If the PCBs are ready for release before case production details are ironed out, people could get their PCBs and start soldering those right away, and possibly even finish that job by the time casings are ready for purchase. Moreover, those who want to devise custom case/mounting solutions could see what they actually have to work with and decide whether or not their custom approach will work by the time the standard casings become available.
I asked the same question and 'dox' responded a few posts above your post on page 15
dox wrote: The case will not be a prerequisite for ordering the PCBs.....
As far as your other point about a minimalist case and even a tent type of mount SubGothius. I am considering making a base plate out of aluminum that will function in a flat position, tilted from the back with adjustable feet and also as a tent. While leaving the top open to match a custom desk case I am building as well!!

JesuswasaZombie

10 Sep 2012, 07:58

just so anyone planning on building one of these and needing parts knows (limited to the US for now but someone should start one for the EU):

Ergo Dox parts GB http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35439.0

ic07

10 Sep 2012, 18:30

FWIW, USB cables are *much* cheaper here (the same place I got my TRRS cables) than at usbfirewire (unless shipping's crazy different, but I don't expect that).

Tafryn

10 Sep 2012, 21:54

ic07 wrote:FWIW, USB cables are *much* cheaper here (the same place I got my TRRS cables) than at usbfirewire (unless shipping's crazy different, but I don't expect that).
...and they're even cheaper here.

ic07

10 Sep 2012, 22:01

Tafryn wrote:...and they're even cheaper here.
Ahh! Thought I checked Monoprice. Thanks Tafryn :)

maxrunner

11 Sep 2012, 22:48

What kind of switches will this use? Pcb mounted or plate mounted?

justcallmecrash

11 Sep 2012, 22:56

RTFT.
PCB will accommodate PCB-mounted switches.

planet36

14 Sep 2012, 15:42

Is anyone considering building the case using Legos? :D

justcallmecrash

14 Sep 2012, 15:46

planet36 wrote:Is anyone considering building the case using Legos? :D
Post pics once you've done it... that sounds awesome.

dirge

14 Sep 2012, 19:13

Lego is a great idea!

hoggy

14 Sep 2012, 20:40

Give it a few months and someone will be organising a lego group buy...

Return to “Workshop”