SCM Profile

SL89

03 Jun 2015, 20:38

Thanks for the followup rsbseb! I just was trying to think of interesting possibilities and i know people endlessly bellyache about the R3 mods on SP sets.

Also consider me +1 for stepped keys, i think they are very interesting (along with windowed keys and relegendabled) but that is a bit down the line.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

03 Jun 2015, 20:42

What about stepped ctrl keys? :P
1P9A0303.JPG
1P9A0303.JPG (324.36 KiB) Viewed 4596 times

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 20:46

What about the gargantuan 10 unit spacebar just left of it!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

03 Jun 2015, 21:04

10u space is almost a given if working with vintage mounts. How about a srepped ISO enter?

Nuum

03 Jun 2015, 21:08

rsbseb wrote: [...] How about a srepped ISO enter?
Yes!

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 21:12

So long as there's also unstepped available. Unstepped beamspring ISO Return is so much nicer than stepped buckling spring ISO Return.

pyrelink

03 Jun 2015, 21:31

All of the renders look fantastic. I am incredibly excited about this. +1 for stepped keycaps. I like stepped caps *almost* entirely more then unstepped caps.

*How ever those that I don't like, I really don't like. As Murium just posted, I am not a fan of that stepped ISO Enter on my Model F, but I like the rest.

Also I am curious as to what other people think about the two Row 5 profiles. 14d vs. 11d. I know its pretty hard to evaluate how something feels based on a render, but I find myself switching back and forth on which one looks more comfortable...

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 21:34

11 for me. Degrees from horizontal, right? I think 002 prefers that one too.

My reason is to reduce the front lip on that row, which towers over the mods in front.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

03 Jun 2015, 21:44

Ok trying to figure out what switch this GB will be made for...

Buckling Spring or cherry mx?

SL89

03 Jun 2015, 21:46

This is not a GB per se. This is a much larger undertaking.

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 21:49

I wouldn't consider this a GB just yet.
It's rsbseb asking feedback on the development of tooling to mold caps.
At this stage we are debating the top side, bottoms should be adaptable to many mounts, once he has tooled up!

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

04 Jun 2015, 00:15

These look incredible. It's brilliant to see a set specifically profiled even up to the function row, and with the unveiling render featuring an ISO enter! :D I'm all for stepped keys too.

I'm not sure about the row 5 11/14 degree variation, it's very hard to grasp which'd be preferable without trying them out.

Really looking forward to seeing how these turn out!
rsbseb wrote: Ok. I will will say NO right now to a 5u vertical space bar!
I'm not asking for one, but I'm intrigued by the shape of such a key. That'd be one way to gauge the feel of the sculpting.

chzel

04 Jun 2015, 00:17

Imagine a small banana?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2015, 12:26

this is an insanely great project! Looking forward to seeing them live.

I have mixed feelings about the bottom row. Should it be flat? angled? if angled in which direction? Should it be concave or convex like the spacebar?

what software did you use to design the caps rsbseb?

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 12:32

The bottom row will be especially interesting to try. SA profile does them flat, usually, which is perfectly useable if a little bland looking. You went with (concave) row 4 on SA Retro, didn't you? Probably an improvement. Though I could even see convex curvature down there feeling good. All needs to be experimented.

I've tried a few combinations with arrow keys before. My favourite is SP rows 2 & 4 for a concave curve down there, which feels like a microcosm of the overall board. Furthest to the right in this diagram:

Here it is in practice:

Note the flat bottom row beside it (all ducks!) which is okay but not especially good looking. The shape I mean, not the ducks, which are beyond fault!

chzel

05 Jun 2015, 12:39

Convex on the AT101 feels nice enough!

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 12:44

Ah, whoops, I've muddied things by misunderstanding. Concave vs convex can mean row shapes (like I was talking above) or individual key shapes, like this:

Concave besides the convex mods on the bottom row. Like Matt said! Convex goes nicely with the spacebar. Beamspring works like that as well. Feels good, in my experience. Although I still prefer concave arrows for whatever reason!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

05 Jun 2015, 14:58

matt3o wrote: this is an insanely great project! Looking forward to seeing them live.

I have mixed feelings about the bottom row. Should it be flat? angled? if angled in which direction? Should it be concave or convex like the spacebar?

what software did you use to design the caps rsbseb?
The design work was done in CAD. And the renders were done in Blender.

As far as bottom row concave/convex I could ultimately do both, I'm not sure I have a personal preference. The current row six mods have a nearly flat 3degree pitch so it could be worked both ways

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

05 Jun 2015, 15:01

So here is a question. Homing bars or deep dish?

SL89

05 Jun 2015, 15:02

@Mu what is the deal with that japanese board? I've seen it elsewhere but never got around to reading about it and now I can't find it.

Also this may be really obvious to everyone else here, but is there any reason we havent had concave spacebars?

@rsbseb I'd say of Bars, Dots and Deep Dish, I'd go Deep Dish.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2015, 15:04

rsbseb wrote: So here is a question. Homing bars or deep dish?
hi-pro = deep dish :) all the way!

numpad might have the nipple on "5" if you really insist.

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 15:06

Dish, def.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

05 Jun 2015, 15:17

How deep on a dish would be the next question. The only reference I have for a dished key is the beam spring and it seams like a black hole to me. If I remember it is over 1.8mm deep

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 15:20

I should send you some of those spare keys I pictured for Matteo's thread. All Beamspring caps are real deep, but yeah those deep dished homing keys are the deepest of all, anywhere! That's the extreme example.

Have you got any SA caps? At a guess, their deep dish isn't even as deep as a regular Beamspring cap.

SL89

05 Jun 2015, 15:24

I just like the SA deep dish. Depending on the row angle for the home row. It might make sense to keep the deep dishes flatter maybe.

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 15:47

Nooooo! SA's flatness is its major flaw, in my view. DSA feels more spherical, which just ain't right!

@Sleighty: As you asked about that board.

http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/ibm-5 ... t4564.html

I don't have one.

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 16:48

Meanwhile, back to the dishes:

Best. Caps. Ever.

vinnycordeiro

05 Jun 2015, 16:50

Any information about doubleshot keycaps? Or am I being too hasty?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

05 Jun 2015, 17:17

vinnycordeiro wrote: Any information about doubleshot keycaps? Or am I being too hasty?
Yes, the plan is for mutishot keys after the prototyping phase. All the mold clerances have been planned for accordingly.

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 17:19

rsbseb wrote:
vinnycordeiro wrote: Any information about doubleshot keycaps? Or am I being too hasty?
Yes, the plan is for mutishot keys after the prototyping phase. All the mold clerances have been planned for accordingly.
I like this word: "multi"…

Return to “Workshop”