[Project] A 58-key mini keyboard, with a missing column!

Soarer

11 Nov 2011, 01:37

Thanks for registering - I'm honoured! :D

I quite agree about the key mappings - I haven't even had a proper first think about what goes where yet!

As I'm mainly a C++ coder, yes, there wil be a bias towards that use. But, it's complicated by some of the tools I use - which mean I type closing brackets a lot less than opening brackets, '.' is automatically converted to '->' when appropriate, etc. So a heat map would have to be derived from keylogging I think, rather than examining the produced source code.

Another issue is that it's easy to code the firmware to move keys onto the Fn layer, but not so easy to move individual functions of keys. Ideally, the latter would be implemented by a layout loaded on the host, but I could do it within the firmware (perhaps with some limitations). At any rate though, it's just software, so I can try out lots of options without any expense :ugeek:

One thing I tried for a while (using AutoHotkey) was switching the numbers and punctuation on the number row (so I pressed shift to get a number). That was great while coding, but not so good for entering passwords :lol:

The firmware will be a version of my converter code, which I'm currently adding layers, remappings, macros and so forth to. It will be quite easy for anyone using it to define things how they like.

Soarer

12 Nov 2011, 01:29

mini_clear.jpg
mini_clear.jpg (255.68 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
mini_teensy.jpg
mini_teensy.jpg (262.81 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

Ascaii
The Beard

14 Nov 2011, 10:30

thats looking sharp...how wobbly are the 3u keys without the stabilizers?

Soarer

14 Nov 2011, 14:02

Very! But they work fine over about a two key width in the middle. What's annoying is that there is room on the PCB to fit the stabilizer holes for these 2.75x right shifts, but I didn't think to add them. If I drilled them now, one or two tracks would have to be patched. I might do that once I've got some firmware running on it :-)

Return to “Workshop”