Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

stuplarosa
AltGr

05 Feb 2017, 17:54

zslane wrote: I dunno if I would call it lovely. But it sure is useful (as long as you're not trying to write code, that is).
I write code with it every day. I just disable the dead keys and use Alt-Gr.

nowai

05 Feb 2017, 18:08

stuplarosa wrote:
zslane wrote: I dunno if I would call it lovely. But it sure is useful (as long as you're not trying to write code, that is).
I write code with it every day. I just disable the dead keys and use Alt-Gr.
How can I disable the dead keys? I always switch to standard US layout when I'm coding.

@topic: using an ISO keyboard with an US layout would only result in 2 extra keys: \| in SA R3 and R4.
But I'm not sure if there are people doing this besides me. :)
Spoiler:
(ignore the international legends)

stuplarosa
AltGr

05 Feb 2017, 18:19

nowai wrote: How can I disable the dead keys? I always switch to standard US layout when I'm coding.
Use the Keyboard Layout Creator on Windows or Karabiner on mac. Not sure about Linux options.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Feb 2017, 15:16

Unfortunately this second batch of prototypes didn't come out as good as the first. It seems like they rushed the curing phase maybe, buy anyway the 3d models are fine and all we wanted to check was the bottom row.

This is an overview:

This is the previous angled bottom row (slightly updated):

This is the flat bottom row:

Spacebar flat:

Spacebar angled:

Comparison:

Personally I still prefer the angled version, especially this new updated iteration, but I'm fine either way

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Feb 2017, 15:24

I'm pro-angled space bar as well. The isn't re-creating the SA profile ...

And with the flat space bar ... you could be using a flipped space bar by accident!!!
Terrifying thought ...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Feb 2017, 15:28

Wodan wrote: And with the flat space bar ... you could be using a flipped space bar by accident!!!
Terrifying thought ...
good point :D I'll use that with the detractors

zslane

06 Feb 2017, 18:47

I like the flat bottom row and spacebar, without question. Angled spacebars either present an uncomfortable ridge to the thumb, or require being rotated around so that its angle no longer matches that of the other bottom row keys. All of that nonsense is solved by a flat spacebar and flat modifiers to match it. Well done!

Ratfink

06 Feb 2017, 18:51

zslane wrote: Angled spacebars either present an uncomfortable ridge to the thumb, or require being rotated around so that its angle no longer matches that of the other bottom row keys.
The correct solution is to keep your wrists in the air like a civilized human being. :mrgreen:

I really like the angled spacebar, myself.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Feb 2017, 18:54

well... the keyboard angle counters the spacebar's. a flat spacebar actually has a negative angle

zslane

06 Feb 2017, 18:58

I keep my wrists resting on a Grifiti Fat wristpad like the good American Neanderthal that I am.

Out of curiosity, is this strictly and either/or proposition, matt3o? Do you only intend to offer one kind of bottom row (and spacebar) or the other?

zslane

06 Feb 2017, 19:00

matt3o wrote: well... the keyboard angle counters the spacebar's. a flat spacebar actually has a negative angle
I don't angle my keyboards up (i.e., I don't open out the back feet). Why? Because SA keycaps are already reaching out to my fingers due to their sculpt. I don't need the keyboard angled any further. The flat spacebar is exactly parallel with the side surface of my thumbs; there is no "negative angle" presented when a modern keyboard with sculptured high-profile keycaps is set up properly.

photekq
Cherry Picker

06 Feb 2017, 19:43

zslane wrote: I like the flat bottom row and spacebar, without question. Angled spacebars either present an uncomfortable ridge to the thumb, or require being rotated around so that its angle no longer matches that of the other bottom row keys. All of that nonsense is solved by a flat spacebar and flat modifiers to match it. Well done!
The remainder of the rows are designed to be most comfortable with a 7-10deg case slant. The angled bottom row keeps with that trend.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Feb 2017, 18:45

any thoughts on the color scheme?

derzemel

22 Feb 2017, 19:07

matt3o wrote: any thoughts on the color scheme?
I think that the combination of black on white alphas + black on gray modifiers would look fantastic, with IBM 5100 typeface...or with Eurostile

zslane

22 Feb 2017, 19:09

Something in the cream/biege/tan family would be really nice. Like Granite but in warm tones rather than neutral tones.

derzemel

22 Feb 2017, 19:15

also some different colored accent keys? like RGB or red Enter keys + red ESC

zslane

22 Feb 2017, 19:19

Personally, I could do without RGB modifiers. But I agree that a few keys like ESC, Enter, and maybe the arrow keys would be nice in an accent color or two. Red is especially attractive paired with cream/beige/tan.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Feb 2017, 19:53

the current plan is to do a beige set (with some accent colors)

zslane

22 Feb 2017, 19:57

snoopy_dance2.gif
snoopy_dance2.gif (99.51 KiB) Viewed 6501 times

caligo

22 Feb 2017, 20:04

I've been on the lookout for a keyset using warmer hues as well. Something like this would be nice, and I'm still kind of hooked on those splashes of orange used on some vintage keyboards (e.g. Luxor's ABC computers).

codemonkeymike

22 Feb 2017, 20:31

What is the resolution of those prints? They look immaculate.

lot_lizard

22 Feb 2017, 20:57

Can I ask a favor... when you do this, can we for sure have blanks made as well? Even if just a small sample "falls off the truck" on the way to dye-subbing. There are some things I would like to try with them

matt3o
-[°_°]-

22 Feb 2017, 21:03

lot_lizard wrote: Can I ask a favor... when you do this, can we for sure have blanks made as well? Even if just a small sample "falls off the truck" on the way to dye-subbing. There are some things I would like to try with them
sure! that shouldn't be an issue.

finalarcadia

25 Feb 2017, 10:15

Just wanted to suggest gruvbox light for color inspiration
https://github.com/morhetz/gruvbox

derzemel

25 Feb 2017, 14:23

Random ideea.

What if you would use the Olivetti blue for the dyesub legends?

zslane

25 Feb 2017, 18:25

Oh, please no blue legends. Black legends only please. Sub-legends can be colored, I guess, but for maximum contrast please use black for the primary legends. It would be nice if this set was as timeless as Granite.

derzemel

25 Feb 2017, 18:58

zslane wrote:Oh, please no blue legends. Black legends only please. Sub-legends can be colored, I guess, but for maximum contrast please use black for the primary legends. It would be nice if this set was as timeless as Granite.
I do not see any lower contrast issues with the blue dyesub legends:

zslane

25 Feb 2017, 19:53

By definition, blue offers less contrast than black.

We're already compromising contrast by choosing cream/beige for the keycap shell, let's not compound that by choosing something other than black for the primary legends.

Laser
emacs -nw

25 Feb 2017, 20:47

Well, blue *is* nice, and maximum contrast is not *the* rule to obey, implicitly ;) We can "reason" about people tastes until the cows come home, taste is taste and everybody has (usually a different) one. That said, I have nothing against black.

OTOH, I'd vote for large fonts, centered (in the middle of the keycap top surface, old-keyboard style) ... with a thicker stroke, this could also help with contrast, if needed ...

Phenix
-p

25 Feb 2017, 21:43

I would opt for an LARGE font. Like on that one cherry board for visual impacted persons - So something which is a bit larger, but similar to SP font (centered).
For the modifiers I am unsure.

High-contrast would be best (imho)!

Return to “Workshop”