Swapping Blacks with Reds

acolombo

03 Jun 2015, 00:13

Hi everyone,

I'd like to swap my MX Blacks (PCB mounted) with some MX Reds from another keyboard (Plate Mounted).

Could I be able to just open the switches and swap the spring? Is it possible to open switches if plate mounted? Is there any difference in the stem beside the color?

Thanks in advance

scottc

03 Jun 2015, 00:16

The stems are identical apart from the colour. You can open the PCB-mounted switches in-place without de-soldering them, then swap in lighter springs. Unfortunately you'd need to desolder the MX reds to get the springs out, but instead of going to that hassle I'd recommend just getting some cheap Korean springs. and using those in the MX blacks instead.

chzel

03 Jun 2015, 00:18

Stems are the same, only difference is colour and of course spring weight.
You will need to desolder the plate mount ones, unless the plate supports switch opening (no stock plate does)

And scottc has a point. It will save you a lot of grief, unless, like me, you find desoldering and soldering relaxing!

scottc

03 Jun 2015, 00:31

The soldering and desoldering isn't a problem: I'm just thinking of the poor MX red board that could be sold or used instead of being savaged!

acolombo

03 Jun 2015, 00:34

scottc wrote:The soldering and desoldering isn't a problem: I'm just thinking of the poor MX red board that could be sold or used instead of being savaged!
Yeah I just wanted to keep both in working order, I don't want to harm any keyboard off course ;) If the Korean springs are really cheap, please tell where to look at as I'm pretty interested

scottc

03 Jun 2015, 00:37

You can probably get your hands on some for about 10 euro shipped. I think you can get them from sprit here but I'd try to get them from Europe to save on shipping. You probably want 50g or 55g ones. 50g is a bit ligher than MX reds, and 55g is a bit heavier. I think that 62g is my favourite of them but they're all pretty nice.

Return to “Workshop”