Software and media for an IBM displaywriter 6580 ?

idollar
i$

10 Aug 2015, 13:43

Hello,

I will get one of these:

It comes with no floppies.

Does anyone knows how to get the OS / Software ?
BTW: a users manual will also help, I have no idea on how it works !

NOTE: this is a picture from the Internet. It is not a picture of the actual device.

i$

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Aug 2015, 13:48

Congrats on you're entry into the beamspring world! I believe XMIT owns one of these. He might be able to answer your questions. You don't intend to convert it? You want to use the actual terminal then?

Muirium
µ

10 Aug 2015, 14:33

These were standalone systems, more like a PC than a classic terminal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Displaywriter_System

If you want to do any more than edit text with that keyboard, you'll want Xwhatsit's controller!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Aug 2015, 16:12

seebart wrote: I believe XMIT owns one of these. He might be able to answer your questions.
Yes. I have two. Not the whole station, just the keyboards. As soon as phosphorglow works out some issues I should hopefully have two controllers for them and begin tearing into them to get them working on USB. I haven't done anything with them yet.

idollar
i$

10 Aug 2015, 18:10

I still do not know what to do with it.
I need to pick it up, but this will be in some weeks.

I wanted to check if I can do something with the complete set. In my opinion it will be crime not to try to get it up.
On the other hand, if it is broken or too difficult, I may use the keyboard only.

If anyone is interested in helping (Germany) and/or get the printer, screen, CPU, floppy, contact me.
The complete lot comes with it. Cables also, but I still do not know if any piece is missing, additional to the SW that I have already reported.

idollar
i$

10 Aug 2015, 18:12

seebart wrote: Congrats on you're entry into the beamspring world! I believe XMIT owns one of these. He might be able to answer your questions. You don't intend to convert it? You want to use the actual terminal then?
I bought the 3276 from snoopy. I paid a little fortune :-(
Last edited by idollar on 10 Aug 2015, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

10 Aug 2015, 18:23

Oh my.

Well, just shoot me a PM if I can help in some way.

idollar
i$

12 Aug 2015, 07:39

XMIT wrote: Oh my.

Well, just shoot me a PM if I can help in some way.
Will do

Return to “Workshop”