Praise for the Topre RF87U Case Design

Hypersphere

07 Sep 2015, 17:53

After recently opening both a CM Novatouch and a Topre RF87U, I just wanted to post some praise for the design of the RF87U case. No tools required. Just pop the tabs along the bottom and open the case. No hidden screws. No breaking of seals. No violation of warranty. And it pops back together secure and sound. Brilliant.

In contrast, it seems that CM does not want end-users to open the case on the NT. Hidden screws. Breaking seals. Violating warranty. Fighting the case with a spudger. At least after all this it goes back together rather well.

In any event, I am thankful to Topre for making it easy to open and close the case on a RF87U.

What are some examples of other easy-open, easy-close keyboard cases? The IBM XT comes to mind -- just two easily accessible screws.
Last edited by Hypersphere on 07 Sep 2015, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

07 Sep 2015, 18:12

Uh huh, but then they did this:

That's an unforced error of the highest magnitude. Right up there with the off centre mods on Cherry's G81s. Im not overlooking something the like of that! Along with the unremovable cable, this marks the Realforce design down below my favourites. It has nothing on the HHKB. And even the SSK has a removable cable and a full set of non-rotated switches.

cswanic

07 Sep 2015, 18:14

:mrgreen: Three cheers on the case opening as well. Topre truly makes a quality product. I put a request out there for a possible case for the Realforce 87U. Its got some feedback and about 41 votes now. I'm really looking forward to some day making mine into an aluminum like the Varmilo VB87M case I am typing on now. Anyone else interested in a aluminum case? :)

Hypersphere

07 Sep 2015, 18:17

@Mu: Yes, I agree about the unfortunate Left Ctrl design and the non-removable cable. However, I would tend to move these items up into the overall keyboard design, whereas my post on this is focused just on the design of the case.

@cswanic: I could be interested in an aluminum case for the RF87U. Until recently, it was possible to get an aluminum case made by Digilog on eBay, although I think they might have sold the last one that was available (but I am not certain of this). The case was very expensive, but I suppose it would be difficult to make a quality aluminum case for much less. The CNC cases for 60% keyboards tend to be $120 or so.

Muirium
µ

07 Sep 2015, 18:38

The Realforce also has too much forehead (why all the space unsaving, up top?) and a downright ugly logo badge for those who mistakenly buy the dark version. It's fine on the white, but they didn't take the time and effort to do something as sensible on the black haired stepchild of the line.

My Cherry G80-3000 has an almost identical snap based design of case, oversized brow and all. Quite different innards though, once you pull them out. No plate, no domes, just MX.

The old Cherry is excused for having ancient electronics inside. The Realforce, meanwhile, needs a new controller. I mean, Topre developed this after all:

I'm hoping for a total design overhaul of the Realforce someday. Perhaps at the same time as Topre's introduction of analogue switches? That'd be awesome.

But probably just forlorn hope, going by their recent interest in unicorn themed caps…

Hypersphere

07 Sep 2015, 19:04

@Mu: Here again, the focus of my post was on the case design -- in particular, the ease of opening and closing the case.

Your point about the large forehead on the RF87U does refer to case design (and aesthetics). In fact, the pics of the RF87U on the EK site taken normal to the top plane of the board tend to accentuate the large forehead, and this depiction caused me to delay purchasing an RF for some time. However, after finally acquiring an RF87U, I found that it looked better (to me) in reality than in the photos. Moreover, I don't object as much to extra depth as I do to extra width.

Back when I was using a full-size IBM Model M, I used the large forehead and ridge as a place to store a ruler and pen. When I started using other keyboards, I missed this "feature" for a while.

Now, my favorite form factor is 60%, but when I rotate to a TKL, the RF87U is my favorite. To be precise, the RF87UB55 is my favorite. I prefer a black case, and the logo on the forehead looks fine to me. Perhaps they could have put the LEDs on the far upper right of the case to lend some functionality to the big brow and obviate the need to have LEDs in the caps, thus sparing us from the design flaw in the Right Control key.

I still give kudos to Topre for making the case on the RF87U easy to open and close.

chzel

07 Sep 2015, 21:02

I'm sure tlt would love a screw together case...
http://deskthority.net/want-to-buy-f56/ ... 11526.html

Hypersphere

07 Sep 2015, 21:21

chzel wrote: I'm sure tlt would love a screw together case...
http://deskthority.net/want-to-buy-f56/ ... 11526.html
How ironic! I haven't tried the full-size case. Maybe it's time for the staple gun or some glue.

Somehow this reminds me of surgery. Ever notice how the chief surgeon frequently has the assistant close the incision after the operation?

Return to “Workshop”