The long journey of the WhiteFox

matt3o
-[°_°]-

14 Dec 2015, 20:26

I was a bit provocative there. Truth is that we don't have a reality willing to invest like MD is doing in Europe... and honestly I don't blame them, the European market for keyboards is fragmented and small.

mtl

14 Dec 2015, 23:19

Congrats matt3o on surpassing 1k in sales! Truly impressive. :)

Although massdrop earned themselves a Ping! award this year, they clearly provide a needed service. Running a group buy into the hundreds of thousands of dollars is just staggering from a hobbyist perspective. :shock:

Arcoril

15 Dec 2015, 04:47

matt3o wrote:
SL89 wrote: :cry: I have a Granite R2 set from the way back when of the Elf board. I wish i had a Granite Whitefox key to go with it :cry:
that's actually a very nice idea for round 4 :)
If you do a Granite R4, please consider adding 1u RGB text/icon mods so that my Vanilla board can truly be complete. :D

TuxKey
LLAP

15 Dec 2015, 14:55

Just curious which layout would be closest to the Leopold Layout ?
would that be Vanilla ?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

15 Dec 2015, 15:00

vanilla or aria

TheNacho
delicious.

15 Dec 2015, 15:11

Aria with Purple Zealios. And my credit card shivers ...

DumbUglyDragon

15 Dec 2015, 23:00

So excited....went in for a TrueFox with Cherry MX Blue, but now I'm wondering if I should order a separate one with clears for quiet time lol

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

16 Dec 2015, 02:36

Lol, the max quantity keeps going up. For that reason only, I'm tempted to order one just to jump on the train. I don't even use Cherry switches anymore, all it would do is sit in the corner.

chzel

16 Dec 2015, 02:56

I don't understand why they didn't close the drop at 1000, and rerun it in six months, so that people who can't afford it now can plan it in their budget. Ever since it went over 1000 it's been going like a snail...

DumbUglyDragon

16 Dec 2015, 03:20

vivalarevolución wrote: Lol, the max quantity keeps going up. For that reason only, I'm tempted to order one just to jump on the train. I don't even use Cherry switches anymore, all it would do is sit in the corner.
Same...primary board is an HHKB :lol:

romevi

16 Dec 2015, 03:20

chzel wrote:I don't understand why they didn't close the drop at 1000, and rerun it in six months, so that people who can't afford it now can plan it in their budget. Ever since it went over 1000 it's been going like a snail...
Dunno, yo.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Dec 2015, 07:27

because we are dealing with OEM manufacturers and 1000 is really a small quantity for them (consider that the bare minimum would be 5000)

chzel

16 Dec 2015, 07:43

Fair enough, hadn't considered that!

Muirium
µ

16 Dec 2015, 07:47

MOQ lurks behind everything we do. MassDrop just likes to sprinkle some hype on the front, to shake people off the fence and turn the buy into an event. That's marketing. I'm sure they'll find something to do with the rest of the run that does not involve shipping it in bulk to Europe. Perish the thought!

DumbUglyDragon

16 Dec 2015, 22:12

Also, closely tied to MoQ's is quantity breaks on pricing. Ordering 2000 at once is likely getting them a better price per unit than an order for 1000.

SL89

16 Dec 2015, 23:01

matt3o wrote: let's find an European distributor. The WhiteFox is open hardware, we can produce it any time we want.
I've seen this a couple times, and im not familair with open hardware at all. Does that mean its like the ErgoDox and someone could make an ErgoDox EX sort of thing?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Dec 2015, 23:15

SL89 wrote:
matt3o wrote: let's find an European distributor. The WhiteFox is open hardware, we can produce it any time we want.
I've seen this a couple times, and im not familair with open hardware at all. Does that mean its like the ErgoDox and someone could make an ErgoDox EX sort of thing?
more or less, yes.

Stabilized

16 Dec 2015, 23:20

SL89 wrote: I've seen this a couple times, and im not familair with open hardware at all. Does that mean its like the ErgoDox and someone could make an ErgoDox EX sort of thing?
I actually googled Ergodox EX thinking it was another new Ergodox project! :oops:

SL89

17 Dec 2015, 03:05

EZ I meant.

And matt3o what licence covers open hardware and esp the whitfox itself.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Dec 2015, 03:20

matt3o wrote: because we are dealing with OEM manufacturers and 1000 is really a small quantity for them (consider that the bare minimum would be 5000)
Well then, that explains a lot.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Dec 2015, 07:59

SL89 wrote: EZ I meant.

And matt3o what licence covers open hardware and esp the whitfox itself.
I believe the only limitation would be that you couldn't sell it as "whitefox". Otherwise do whatever you want with it.

TuxKey
LLAP

17 Dec 2015, 10:15

Even though i can't get the WhiteFox because it would cost me €300 to get the sucker under my fingers..
i just had to update my profile , of keyboards i respect/like..
it's a short list as it should be hahahaa..

Leopold, RealForce, inputclub

Every day i log on massdrop i see the purchased counter go up :-) i remember when it hit the 700 marker now it's at 1082..
Looks like a record to me !!!
Nice........ congrats matt3o ...

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Dec 2015, 12:22

Is it possible to get only the PCB?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

17 Dec 2015, 13:52

Madhias wrote: Is it possible to get only the PCB?
do you have a way to flash the bootloader?

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Dec 2015, 15:36

No!

Stabilized

17 Dec 2015, 16:04

Can't you just flash it through the USB port?

f1xedgear

17 Dec 2015, 16:19

Stabilized wrote: Can't you just flash it through the USB port?
Also curious about this. Assuming whitefox uses the atmega32u4, it would have DFU capabilities...

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Dec 2015, 16:25

The only thing I flashed several times were Teensies, and there it was via the USB port, with the help of the reboot button.

I am wondering about the PCB since my secret Santa sent me a nice present :) But more to see later in the secret Santa thread.

Halvar

17 Dec 2015, 16:50

You can't flash the bootloader over USB, because the bootloader is the basic software that enables you to flash your actual firmware over USB. Teensies come with a preconfigured bootloader, but if you start with a raw micro controller, you have to flash the bootloader over the chip's ISP interface first.

You normally do that with a little hardware called ISP programmer. If you don't have one and only need it temporarily, there are Arduino sketches that turn an arduino into an ISP programmer.

Madhias
BS TORPE

17 Dec 2015, 17:00

Thanks for the explanation, Halvar!

Return to “Workshop”