Trying to get the Windows Key in a G80

dicamarques

08 Oct 2016, 12:11

Hello,
this is my first mechanical keyboard and I love to write with it, a bit "heavy" because of the black switch.
My main problem is that I dont have a Windows key in it, I use a lot of kb shortcuts and I need my windows key.
I already remapped it to the scroll lock, but now I need 2 hands for most shortcuts.
I even tried to see if the controller had it configured but there was no switch soldered... No luck. ( On a side note i have a complete pinout of every key)

Does anyone know of a way to reprogram the controller?

Thanks ;)

Findecanor

08 Oct 2016, 14:06

I'm afraid that you would have to replace the controller outright with one that you programmed yourself.
Which Cherry G80-series model are you using? Some models in the G80 series have the controller on a separate circuit board, thus making that much easier.

BTW, you should also be able to get the key with Control + Escape, although combinations such as Win+R might not work.
Personally, I would rather choose to sacrifice Caps Lock. I already have that one mapped as a (third) Control key.
The Control and Alt keys on left and right sides are separate keys also, so you could sacrifice one of those.

dicamarques

08 Oct 2016, 19:12

Findecanor wrote: I'm afraid that you would have to replace the controller outright with one that you programmed yourself.
Which Cherry G80-series model are you using? Some models in the G80 series have the controller on a separate circuit board, thus making that much easier.

BTW, you should also be able to get the key with Control + Escape, although combinations such as Win+R might not work.
Personally, I would rather choose to sacrifice Caps Lock. I already have that one mapped as a (third) Control key.
The Control and Alt keys on left and right sides are separate keys also, so you could sacrifice one of those.
Yes, the controller is in a separate board, just soldering the wires to a new board. Do you know of any guides or board seller?

http://imgur.com/a/sRHtX

CapsLock is a nice alternative, will have to try someday.
Thanks

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Oct 2016, 09:37

So what you have is a G80-1800 HPP without Windows keys.
Congratulations, that's a quite rare keyboard.

The easiest way for you to convert it to a version with Windows keys is to buy a used German G80-1800 with Windows caps, which are very easy to get (with lasered caps) and cost about 15-20€ for the USB version,
and just swap the internals.

Of course the 1u caps of the bottom row will be only lasered (and "Strg" instead of "Control"),
but with any other solution you wouldn't even have that.

And then you could chime in in our efforts to convince Wodan to run a GB for a G80-1800 completion set:
group-buys-f50/hadapter-kit-round-ii-t14441.html :mrgreen:

Phenix
-p

11 Oct 2016, 02:06

temporarily system based (if that helps out meanwhile)
autohotkey script
e.g.
capslock::LGUI

(if I remeber correctly, I dont remember all hotkeys :eek:)

dicamarques

11 Oct 2016, 20:28

kbdfr wrote: So what you have is a G80-1800 HPP without Windows keys.
Congratulations, that's a quite rare keyboard.

The easiest way for you to convert it to a version with Windows keys is to buy a used German G80-1800 with Windows caps, which are very easy to get (with lasered caps) and cost about 15-20€ for the USB version,
and just swap the internals.

Of course the 1u caps of the bottom row will be only lasered (and "Strg" instead of "Control"),
but with any other solution you wouldn't even have that.

And then you could chime in in our efforts to convince Wodan to run a GB for a G80-1800 completion set:
group-buys-f50/hadapter-kit-round-ii-t14441.html :mrgreen:
Well I think thats to much for just getting a win key in a keyboard :P and loses its rarity ehehe.

I didnt quite understand what is that hadapter kit, is that a keycap set?

Phenix wrote: temporarily system based (if that helps out meanwhile)
autohotkey script
e.g.
capslock::LGUI

(if I remeber correctly, I dont remember all hotkeys :eek:)
thanks, but i already use keyTweak that changes in the registry :)

Return to “Workshop”