Backlighting a Silicon Graphics AT-101 Bigfoot

flowerlandfilms

08 Apr 2017, 03:12

A little project I'm working on to breathe some new life into this keyboard.
Using LED strips to backlight the keys, also down the line I intend to replace all keycaps with transparent ones,
and also possibly add a clear acrylic window to show off the chips and capacitors.
The illuminated window where Caps, Num, Scroll were is temporary, I'm having a sticker of my company logo made to put there. I'm also thinking of ways to illuminate the Silicon Graphics logo but no bright ideas yet.
Input, suggestions, comments and queries all encouraged.
Attachments
IMG_20170408_110747.jpg
IMG_20170408_110747.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 6788 times

taylorswiftttttt

09 Apr 2017, 00:02

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

just_add_coffee

09 Apr 2017, 03:01

Nice! I think it's gorgeous!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using to power the LEDs and how are you wiring them?

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

09 Apr 2017, 04:08

Those original caps are dyesub PBT (minus the space bar, of course), which is a rarity for Alps boards. So if you're taking them off permanently, you should sell them to defray your costs. I really think that if they'd foregone the italic font, they'd be the most desirable Alps caps ever.

flowerlandfilms

09 Apr 2017, 07:59

just_add_coffee wrote: Nice! I think it's gorgeous!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using to power the LEDs and how are you wiring them?
I started with some USB powered 5v led strips, so there was an extra usb cord sticking out the back to power them. But after I installed them I found a 5v line off the board and connected to that, so they run off the same internal power as the board now via ps2.

I do like these caps but I feel like I need something a bit more colourful, and transparent caps will help the light penetrate into the middle rows of keys a bit more. I'd be happy to sell the caps if someone wants to give them a good home.

I've wired them up thusly, please forgive my bad soldering as I'm not very good at it, it is not my favourite technology.
66 LEDs all up, and i did have to snip a few plastic tabs off here and there to get the shell to close cleanly.
IMG_20170409_153918.jpg
IMG_20170409_153918.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 6726 times
Left
IMG_20170409_153947.jpg
IMG_20170409_153947.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 6726 times
Right
IMG_20170409_153936.jpg
IMG_20170409_153936.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 6726 times
Power
IMG_20170409_154007.jpg
IMG_20170409_154007.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 6726 times

micrex22

10 Apr 2017, 05:07

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing with the exact same LED strips, but on a 122 key Model F. Nice to know that the result is pretty good.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

10 Apr 2017, 05:30

I'm not a big fan of backlit keyboards in general (I do like backlit legends) but something just looks right with yours. Are those LEDs warm white? Nice work.

Menuhin

10 Apr 2017, 10:01

Translucent caps for Alps switches?

You have to have them made - don't exist I believe. I will want a set like that but not for my SGI.
I also want your SGI cap set too when you don't need them. ;)

Good luck for the caps part!

just_add_coffee

11 Apr 2017, 01:21

flowerlandfilms wrote: ... I found a 5v line off the board and connected to that, so they run off the same internal power as the board now via ps2.
Sorry about the late reply. Haven't been able to get back here in the last day or two.

How were you able to "find" the line? I'm trying to learn this stuff (BTW, your soldering looks immaculate compared to mine!); is it just a matter of poking around with a multimeter until you found it?

flowerlandfilms

11 Apr 2017, 07:40

just_add_coffee wrote:
flowerlandfilms wrote: ... I found a 5v line off the board and connected to that, so they run off the same internal power as the board now via ps2.
Sorry about the late reply. Haven't been able to get back here in the last day or two.

How were you able to "find" the line? I'm trying to learn this stuff (BTW, your soldering looks immaculate compared to mine!); is it just a matter of poking around with a multimeter until you found it?
Yeh basically that's how it works, I never owned a multimeter before this, it's like magic! I looked up the big chip by its serial numbers, and found the schematic for it. This showed me where ground was, in the upper leftmost corner pin. And then just poking around to find a 5 volt line, or 4.97 or whatever, close enough for government work. Then I just followed the traces to find a convenient location to attach the wires.

I went with warm white LEDs because cool blue seemed like it clashed with the 90's aesthetic. A lot of things back then were still incandescent bulbs, or at least that's my recollection from whence I was a boy.

I'm looking into the caps situation now, and yeh it seems like it's going to be a pain no matter what solution I go with. I would love to get my hands on a 3D printer and make some myself, but that's a tad beyond my budget. I could also get some cherry switches and modify them, or use adapters. Anyone know a good place for for transluscent keycaps? Even cherry ones? I'm thinking of a mix of Turqoise/Cyan and Yellow/Orange.

just_add_coffee

11 Apr 2017, 08:17

flowerlandfilms wrote:
just_add_coffee wrote: I looked up the big chip by its serial numbers, and found the schematic for it.
I would never have thought to do that. Thank you!
I went with warm white LEDs because cool blue seemed like it clashed with the 90's aesthetic. A lot of things back then were still incandescent bulbs, or at least that's my recollection from whence I was a boy.
Works with pretty much any decade prior to the current one. And it works with the usual beige/cream/warm white vintage keyboard cases such as this one.
Anyone know a good place for for transluscent keycaps? Even cherry ones? I'm thinking of a mix of Turqoise/Cyan and Yellow/Orange.
I'd recommend checking out Ebay for super cheap Cherry keysets. You might have to buy a couple of different sets in order to get the color combination that you want.

flowerlandfilms

20 Apr 2017, 08:24

I'm waiting on parts at the moment, but my next move is going to be to relocate the Lock Switch LEDs into their respective keys. I've got some clear transparent keys on the way so i'll experiment with adapting them to ALPS and embossing some lettering into them. I've also started thinking about swapping out the White Alps switches for Mattias Quiet-Clicks, i like their feel, and the clear construction will help the light more.

flowerlandfilms

04 May 2017, 03:49

Okay I finally got the caps I ordered to do some tests with, I made some temporary adapters out of plastic so I could stick them on and see how they look. The caps are quite a bit taller now, but showing off the stem is the stylish thing to do these days right? And they look nice and the light penetration is fantastic. I'm starting to think I could get enough colour in the keys just from spray painting the steel backplate and letting the light bounce off it. I did this cluster as a test.
IMG_20170504_112948.jpg
IMG_20170504_112948.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 6535 times
IMG_20170504_112938.jpg
IMG_20170504_112938.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 6535 times

j0d1

04 May 2017, 16:40

taylorswiftttttt wrote: I honestly think it looks better with the original keycaps, not translucent ones, but that's just my opinion. Looks great right now.
+1

The warm LEDs with those keycaps is a subtle mix.

With translucent keycaps, you're entering the gimmick zone.

flowerlandfilms

31 Jul 2017, 10:13

I have officially entered the Gimmick Zone.
[img]IMG_20170731_133547.jpg[/img]
IMG_20170731_133608.jpg
IMG_20170731_133608.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 6391 times
Attachments
IMG_20170731_133547.jpg
IMG_20170731_133547.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 6391 times

Chyros

31 Jul 2017, 15:44

I think a cool, very subtle blue colour would work well with the backlighting. Original keycaps.

flowerlandfilms

11 Aug 2017, 09:53

Chyros wrote: I think a cool, very subtle blue colour would work well with the backlighting. Original keycaps.
I'll take that into consideration Chyros, I've just ordered a set of Matias Quiet Click Switches, so when they arrive I will take the opportunity while the plate is free to clean it up and explore paint colours.

Chyros

11 Aug 2017, 14:35

flowerlandfilms wrote:
Chyros wrote: I think a cool, very subtle blue colour would work well with the backlighting. Original keycaps.
I'll take that into consideration Chyros, I've just ordered a set of Matias Quiet Click Switches, so when they arrive I will take the opportunity while the plate is free to clean it up and explore paint colours.
No I mean blue AS the backlighting. Just a coldish white colour to bring out the grey case and white keycaps a bit. With white backlight those colours don't stand out so much. Just an idea :) .

pixelheresy

11 Aug 2017, 15:51

Definitely sell those caps off to someone who will cherish them. The originals are super nice... I think it is a shame to take them off. The clears look cool, but the slightly italic, dyesubbed PBT looks pretty nice in my book.

I agree with Chyros... Blueish blacklight would be cool. Also, I wouldn't paint the grey. The grey of the SGI case is cool and sharp and the old SGI log is mega sweet. I have a beat up and scuffed Dell Bigfoot (which has beautifully clean switches) so that is prime candidate for a repainted, so not one of those that are 100% repainting, but a lovely grey Silicon Graphics, nononono.

Chyros

12 Aug 2017, 10:23

pixelheresy wrote: Definitely sell those caps off to someone who will cherish them. The originals are super nice... I think it is a shame to take them off. The clears look cool, but the slightly italic, dyesubbed PBT looks pretty nice in my book.

I agree with Chyros... Blueish blacklight would be cool. Also, I wouldn't paint the grey. The grey of the SGI case is cool and sharp and the old SGI log is mega sweet. I have a beat up and scuffed Dell Bigfoot (which has beautifully clean switches) so that is prime candidate for a repainted, so not one of those that are 100% repainting, but a lovely grey Silicon Graphics, nononono.
I agree with the above. I'd keep the case original.

flowerlandfilms

12 Aug 2017, 17:37

Chyros wrote:
pixelheresy wrote: Definitely sell those caps off to someone who will cherish them. The originals are super nice... I think it is a shame to take them off. The clears look cool, but the slightly italic, dyesubbed PBT looks pretty nice in my book.

I agree with the above. I'd keep the case original.
Oh I'm definitely not painting the case, I love the granite! Just painting the metal backplate. If that looks stupid I can always undo it.

flowerlandfilms

25 Aug 2017, 15:16

Has anybody ordered loose switches from Matias before?
They are taking forever to get here and they haven't provided me with tracking information.
I tried emailing them a few days ago and I got no reply.

flowerlandfilms

21 Sep 2017, 00:30

Ok I finally got my switches!
I'm now in the process of painting the backplate, and re-engineering a cleverer way to mount the LEDS.
I've gone with an Aqua/Teal for the plate.
keybo1.jpg
keybo1.jpg (363.02 KiB) Viewed 6070 times
Before I put it all together though, does anyone know what the deal is with these missing components on the board?
I looked on the wiki but couldn't find anything about it.
There are two empty slots for Diodes marked D4 and D5, the traces seem to run between the two control chips.
And a missing post marked OPT which seems to connect to ground.
If anyone knows of any explody reason why I shouldn't add these components, I'm all ears, otherwise I think I will add them just to see what they do.
keybo2.jpg
keybo2.jpg (558.32 KiB) Viewed 6070 times

flowerlandfilms

21 Sep 2017, 02:55

This is an experiment with mounting the LEDs under the backplate, as you can see it gives a much more subtle glow through the clear Matias switch housing s which I like a lot.
15059552477561874036846.jpg
15059552477561874036846.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 6052 times

pixelheresy

22 Sep 2017, 12:34

I like it! The effect is very nice. The caps are much too pretty to forgo.

It would be something if you replaced some cheap lasered caps from a Dell AT101, but the SGI ones are super sweet. I agree, the clear caps are cool with the lighting effect, but yeah, I'd repurpose those to a less cool board and do backlightling there as well. Again, get Dell AT101 or 101W and then you don't need to feel guilty.

flowerlandfilms

23 Sep 2017, 03:46

They are really nice caps, but the italic font looks so Apple-ish, it really bugs me.

Darkshado

23 Sep 2017, 04:34

It's not like Apple have a monopoly on italic fonts on keyboards...

flowerlandfilms

23 Sep 2017, 12:04

True, but they made us use shitty macs all through school from Elementary school in Florida all the way through to High School in Australia, that shitty Italic font has haunted me my whole life and now it reminds me of shit computers I had to use at school when I had a perfectly good PC at home. It makes me shake with rage.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Sep 2017, 12:22

flowerlandfilms wrote: True, but they made us use shitty macs all through school from Elementary school in Florida all the way through to High School in Australia, that shitty Italic font has haunted me my whole life and now it reminds me of shit computers I had to use at school when I had a perfectly good PC at home. It makes me shake with rage.
Possibly the keyboards for those "shit computers" were less shit. :lol:
Spoiler:
shiat.png
shiat.png (144.78 KiB) Viewed 5956 times

E3E

23 Sep 2017, 13:18

flowerlandfilms wrote: They are really nice caps, but the italic font looks so Apple-ish, it really bugs me.
I also made the same association when I first saw AEK caps and SGI caps. Very Apple-esque.

Also, you must have an interesting accent, being raised in the states and then moving to Australia for high school. :o

Return to “Workshop”