Model M USB Mod...Implanted Adapter or New Controller?

turbocharged

18 Feb 2011, 03:06

I need to do a USB mod to my Model M that I am modding (link to geekhack mod thread) and can't decide if I want to buy a "blue cube" PS/2-USB adapter and transplant it into my keyboard (like Ripster shows here) or if I should do the full ground up custom programmed controller (like Mnemonix did here). Personally, I think that Ripster's adapter transplant looks hacked to hell and could have been done MUCH cleaner, but the idea, function, and ease are what is important about it.

I love the super clean and custom look of the "true" usb mod, but the transplanted adapter is much cheaper/easier. Not sure what to do at this point.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 03:12

They both work (except that the Blue Cube has some bugs), so you have to decide yourself if it's fun to do the super clean mod. I wouldn't do it for any other reason than that.

Minskleip

18 Feb 2011, 12:31

If you make your own can put your own keymaps on it. HHKB-style with buckling springs :)

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 12:58

Good point. I guess I'm doing it wrong..

turbocharged

18 Feb 2011, 15:52

Yeah...I need to get a shopping cart together on Mouser and see just how much everything is going to cost for the "true" conversion. I am also going to have to build/buy a AVR programmer to do it.

ripster

19 Feb 2011, 20:50

Damn, what a mess.

Keep it pure is what I always say.

javifast

18 Mar 2011, 08:13

Ufff....A Spacesaver with nut and bolt mod and usb mod...That's the perfect keyboard.

intealls

19 Mar 2011, 04:25

The best PS/2 -> USB adapter I've used is hasu's (check mod section on geekhack). My Belkin appeared to have reset issues, and another cheap one I tried was useless. hasu's adapter not only works brilliant (been using it since early february) but is also fully programmable. The only downside is you'll probably need to tweak the source a bit to get it to work like you want. You could probably fit the Teensy in the M-case somewhere, also, the adapter will most likely need an external pullup on the data line (my M's work fine with a 10k one).

Return to “Workshop”