Fujitsu keyb cable connector pinout required

Aristarco

04 Sep 2017, 20:04

Hello Everyone!

I found a Fujitsu N86D-2774-R199/01 keyboard with no enclosure or cable. It's the keyb only and the layout looks exactly like the Tandy 3000 keyboard I've seen on the 'net and in some threads here.
IMG_6726.JPG
IMG_6726.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3023 times
Does any of you have the pinout of the white plastic connector at the board (the one above the backspace key in the pic) so I can put a new cable? I intend to use it with a contemporary computer since I feel it's an AT or XT compatible one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HuBandiT

06 Sep 2017, 19:11

Two of those will almost certainly be ground and power supply - you could start by tracing those two first.

Then once you have those, look around in the datasheet for the proper supply voltage. From the looks of it I would guess 5V - but better not risk it; just look it up from datasheets.

Once you have that, you can apply power to the board.

Then put a 10k resistor in series with an amp meter (you risk destroying the board and/or your power supply without this resistor), and check each pin against ground and power, to see whether the keyboard pulls any of the pins to ground or power.

If you are certain it is an AT protocol keyboard, look up the AT protocol. The sources I find say the keyboard sends a self-test status code shortly after getting powered on, even without a computer being connected.

So you could take a scope, and look at the other pins during powerup, to see where it sends that out. Looking here: http://www.hardwarebook.info/AT_Keyboard/Mouse_protocol one line - the clock - should send about a dozen regular pulses, while the other line - data - would contain the actual bits of the data (BAT code) so it would not just be regular pulses.

Aimed with this information, all that remains for you is to wire up a cable with the determined pinout.

Assuming your information about this being an AT protocol keyboard being right.

Chyros

06 Sep 2017, 23:19

This is an XT keyboard as far as I know. It did not work over PS/2 when I tested it - someone remarked in my video that it would be very unusual if it were AT, but it does seem to be so.

I have opne of these, I'll put up the pinout this week when I get some time (ultra busy with this week's video atm).

Aristarco

08 Sep 2017, 06:28

Hi there!
I should have mentioned I have ground and Vcc identified. Yes, Vcc is 5V, according to the NEC 8049 uP and the TTLs around it. I'll check the other lines as you suggest. Thanks!

Aristarco

08 Sep 2017, 06:34

Chyros wrote: This is an XT keyboard as far as I know. It did not work over PS/2 when I tested it - someone remarked in my video that it would be very unusual if it were AT, but it does seem to be so.
Oh, too bad it's an XT but still, if I can't make it work that way, I think I could use the key matrix and repurpose it with an Arduino or one of those Teensy boards I've read about in this forums.
Chyros wrote: I have one of these, I'll put up the pinout ...
WOAH! A hero without a cape! Thanks a lot in advance. :D

Chyros

08 Sep 2017, 17:30

Sorry it took a while, I spent basically every waking hour this week filming this week's video, which is very long and extremely detailed.

Here's the pins and the connector:

black - 2
red - 4
green - 3
brown - 5
ground - 0

Don't know what the colours are actually connected to but that's how they correlate to the plug at least :) .

Aristarco

08 Sep 2017, 23:53

AWESOME!!!
Thanks a lot for the info. May the [actuation] Force be with you, Master Chyros!!

Chyros

09 Sep 2017, 00:03

No worries mate, glad I could be of help :) .

HuBandiT

09 Sep 2017, 17:53

Aristarco wrote: Oh, too bad it's an XT but still, if I can't make it work that way, I think I could use the key matrix and repurpose it with an Arduino or one of those Teensy boards I've read about in this forums.
Why not protocol-convert it with Soarer's or a similar solution?

Aristarco

09 Sep 2017, 18:34

Because I'm totally new to the keyboard world and have no idea what Soarer is but I'll read about it. Thanks! :)

HuBandiT

09 Sep 2017, 21:23

First thread in Workshop.

Aristarco

12 Sep 2017, 18:33

Turns out my keyb has a different pinout than the one from Chyros. Mine has the middle pin in the white molex connected to a pin of the 8049. Also +V and Gnd are reversed. I'll try to post what I find when I make it work. Cheers!

Return to “Workshop”