Adding extra keys to your Kinesis Advantage

sordna

26 Jan 2012, 05:31

This afternoon I adedd extra keys under each shift on my Kinesis Advantage LF.
kinesis_extra_keys.jpg
kinesis_extra_keys.jpg (647.16 KiB) Viewed 18724 times
I'm using these keys for momentary access the 2nd layer of the keyboard (as opposed to the toggle function of the rubber keypad key). You can also assign extra keys to anything else, like Windows keys or whatever.

I highly recommend this mod, and posted a HOWTO here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26579.0

(the older link http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:26579 does'n work anymore)
Last edited by sordna on 02 Sep 2012, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jim66

26 Jan 2012, 13:57

Nice mod, brave man for taking a dremel to your LF!

sordna

02 Feb 2012, 07:41

Today I added extra thumb switches as well. It took more work than the first mod, since it involved adding extra PCBs for mounting the new switches. Final result:
kinesis_4_extra_switches.jpg
kinesis_4_extra_switches.jpg (434.44 KiB) Viewed 18654 times

Findecanor

02 Feb 2012, 18:03

I am interested in, why did you mount the thumb-switches so low? Was it not possible to mount them aligned with the Space / Backspace keys?

sordna

03 Feb 2012, 03:03

I wish, but the lower keywell mounts/screws are in the way!

You can see details in part 2 of my mod wiki:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title= ... thumb+area

Right now the switches fall between the 1st and 2nd knuckle of the thumbs. Actually, I'm thinking I should probably have moved the switches even lower, so they would be hit by the 2nd knuckle (base of the thumb). It would make these modier keys easier to hold down.

sordna

05 Feb 2012, 04:48

I added another 2 keys today, using up the last footswitch terminal on the keyboard. With 6 extra keys total, I'm happy and don't think I will need any more; these keyboards have 2 programmable layers anyway.
kinesis_6_extra_keys.jpg
kinesis_6_extra_keys.jpg (133 KiB) Viewed 18585 times

sordna

06 Feb 2012, 20:46

Adding some further pictures:
kinesis_thumbswitches_exposed.jpg
kinesis_thumbswitches_exposed.jpg (497.16 KiB) Viewed 18566 times
kinesis_6_extra_switches.jpg
kinesis_6_extra_switches.jpg (145.28 KiB) Viewed 18566 times

sordna

07 Mar 2012, 07:31

Arcade buttons added for palm keys:
kinesis_palm_keys.jpg
kinesis_palm_keys.jpg (454.52 KiB) Viewed 18510 times

Icarium

07 Mar 2012, 10:13

You did it! So, how does it feel? I'm so jealous. :D

webwit
Wild Duck

07 Mar 2012, 13:46

Great stuff!

Now only needs pointing device (joystick?), wrist rests and mini screen. :twisted:

sordna

07 Mar 2012, 16:09

You forgot to mention the coin slot!

Seriously, I'm thinking to add a trackball next. 8 extra keys is more han enough.

sordna

31 May 2012, 01:54

Here is my work keyboard, with palm keys being the only modification. It's honestly the best single modification you can do, and it's so easy; it doesn't even require a soldering iron... just a step drill bit, and 15 minutes of your time.
k-work.jpg
k-work.jpg (684.24 KiB) Viewed 18363 times

Input Nirvana

31 May 2012, 02:34

I have NOT done this mod, but I have played extensively with the placement and function of the "palm" keys on the case. I believe this is a fundamental shift for an ergo option with this keyboard, and is the single largest improvement that can be done.

Hats off on this. Please post what exact measurements you belive would be ideal.

sordna

31 May 2012, 23:44

Each hole center is 20mm from the south edge of the keyboard and 78mm from the side edge.

However, having used these for a while, believe that I placed the buttons too far toward the middle of the keyboard. I can see part of the button if I look down while I'm typing, and find myself having to move my hand inward in order to push the button properly.

The holes should therefore be closer to the keyboard sides, ie I would drill the pilot hole at 70mm (or even less) from the side edge of the keyboard, so the buttons are more directly under my hands.

Having said that, I love this mod, it's an absolute MUST. Way better than a footswitch which gets kicked around and forgotten. The palm keys are always there, where you need them.
It's also a much easier mod than any other key addition I tried.

Icarium

01 Jun 2012, 09:46

What keys are those again? Tried to find similar ones but it turned out harder than I expected.

sordna

01 Jun 2012, 17:32

Seimitsu PS-15 (they are low profile arcade buttons, that don't extend too much inside the case).
Here they are in yellow, you're in Germany right?

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Seimitsu-Butto ... b_746.html

Icarium

02 Jun 2012, 12:02

Wow, that's some service. :D
Thanks!

Alright, immediately ordered two black ones from that place.

sordna

03 Jun 2012, 03:10

Looking forward to seeing you actually mod your first keyboard ... you've been talking about it for a long time. Feel free to post your pics in this thread!

Input Nirvana

03 Jun 2012, 04:28

Yes, would like to see and hear another arcade/palm key modification. Maybe I can add a pic of along with Sordnas in the Kinesis wiki, if iMav gives me access again.

sordna

02 Sep 2012, 10:10

For those of you looking to mod your Kinesis keyboard, I restored my mod article on GH, since it was without images for quite some time:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26579.0

uberben

26 Nov 2012, 05:52

I'm finally getting back to modding my Kinesis. I'm using hasu's firmware, and I was getting excited setting up the embedded layers. I think a footswitch would be nice, but not being as portable, I'm pretty tempted to try the palm keys.

Input Nirvana

26 Nov 2012, 06:04

Palm keys are PIMP!

Foot switch SEEMS like a great idea, but I've only encountered a couple people that use them successfully...they have SERIOUS RSI. I have a triple foot switch that lives quietly in a box. I should sell it like everything else.

Like my use of CAPS???

uberben

26 Nov 2012, 06:16

When I first got my Kinesis, I tried using my triple foot switch, but I found it hard to use with my shoes on (the switches are modded from a teletype or something) and after a couple weeks, they just got shoved to the back of my cubicle, and are now collecting dust on my shelf. The more compelling embedded layer in hasu's firmware (mouse keys, system (ie volume) keys, etc) might be enough to get me to try the foot switches again, but for portability (half the point of the bluetooth mod), the palm keys are super tempting.

uberben

08 Dec 2012, 03:40

I just ordered some super cheap arcade buttons. Hopefully they are half decent.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesal ... 87254.html

Input Nirvana

16 Dec 2012, 19:31

Post when you've done the deed! :)

I was at the Facebook campus the other day and saw this....
Facebook Kinesis.JPG
Facebook Kinesis.JPG (77.03 KiB) Viewed 17550 times
Kinesis Advantage with a Cirque touchpad.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

16 Dec 2012, 22:50

sordna wrote:You forgot to mention the coin slot!

Seriously, I'm thinking to add a trackball next. 8 extra keys is more han enough.
Did the trackball mod ever happen?

Input Nirvana

16 Dec 2012, 23:44

Yes, someone put a trackball with 2-3 arcade buttons. I had inside/outside pics in my Everything Kinesis article, but the pics need to be reloaded someday.

uberben

17 Dec 2012, 00:56

Send me the pics and I'll help rework the article. That pic archive was one of the best parts of your article and I would love to at least have a copy.

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Dec 2012, 01:05

Input Nirvana wrote:I was at the Facebook campus the other day and saw this....
Facebook Kinesis.JPG
Kinesis Advantage with a Cirque touchpad.
Mein Gott! Open office space. The pour souls.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

17 Dec 2012, 01:21

An open office makes the assumption that you actually want to communicate with your co-workers. Why would anybody want to do that?

Return to “Workshop”