My first stem mod

dirge

01 Mar 2012, 12:10

Managed to find an old board with some Cherry thick doubleshot keycaps from the 80's.

Can anyone guess what the donar keyboard was that the caps came from?

Waiting for some more tools to arrive over the weekend before I attempt any more of the keys, just to make sure I make a good job of it. Also I'll try and get a better camera, rather than use my phone!

beforeImage

after Image

Mrinterface

01 Mar 2012, 19:26

I know where they come from, but I won't say ;-)

Ascaii
The Beard

01 Mar 2012, 19:53

Hmm...im guessing here, but is it one of those TI boxes?

dirge

01 Mar 2012, 20:54

Nope! and Mrinterface has been helping me, so he's not playing. Clues can be found on his Youtube video page :) Which I've watched most of them and thought they were great :)

There's a massive clue in the picture... italic red double shot key? :)

If you were a schoolboy in the uk in the 80's you'll remember miners strikes and these!

Findecanor

01 Mar 2012, 21:37

Ahh. BBC Micro. :)

dirge

01 Mar 2012, 22:14

Findecanor wrote:Ahh. BBC Micro. :)
Yup!

Just so people don't go out and waste money on BBC caps, only revision 1 of the micro, and the Master 128 had the cherry stems. (that I know of)

But they are all the same size, no staggered curve that modern keys provide. When my tools arrive next week I'll mod the rest into a .... well it will never be a complete keycap set without some significant effort but I do hope to get a little more out of it.

Also. I've had another vintage doubleshot arrive today from a well know british childhood brand.

Will photo it when I get a chance. I've got the SigPlas cherry esc clones on the same board here, but this puts them to shame!

Return to “Workshop”