Alps plate spring custom build log (work in progress)

Sup

24 Apr 2019, 21:29

please pin this.

scottc

24 Apr 2019, 22:06

I want to lick it.

What chassis is that, btw?

edit: LZ CLS apparently, nice!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

25 Apr 2019, 02:57

swampangel wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 15:52
Beautiful!
//gainsborough wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 04:20
edit: requesting typing vid!!!!
Let me see if I can lube these in place. They bind like crazy right now.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

25 Apr 2019, 03:51

This is my crude method of lubing
Laugh if you want but there's no way I was going to open all these switches. I opened a few out of curiosity and it is not something I wanted to do 86 times!

ZedTheMan

25 Apr 2019, 04:40

This is the method I used with some really scratchy SMK vintage linears. It can be surprisingly effective.

How's it helping those Alps plate springs?

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

25 Apr 2019, 15:59

ZedTheMan wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 04:40
This is the method I used with some really scratchy SMK vintage linears. It can be surprisingly effective.

How's it helping those Alps plate springs?
It helped quite a bit on these as well! Here's a typing video

Laser
emacs -nw

25 Apr 2019, 16:15

Cool stuff! You need to redo the typing demo after @scottc licks it! :P

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Apr 2019, 01:49

I'm unfortunately still not happy with the binding issue. The PTFE spray stuff helped a little but it's still very noticeable.

I'm going to double down on the lube approach and try another kind. I really don't want to have to resort to opening these up if cleaning is needed. I also am not familiar with how these switches feel at their best. The board I desoldered them from was quite dusty which should have been an obvious red flag for me. Oh well, more fiddling.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Apr 2019, 02:36

This time I'm using this "Smooth Kote" gun lube stuff. Some post I came across on one of the forums recommended this (or gun lube in general... can't recall).

It has a nice fine needle applicator which makes it really easy to get into tight spots. One downside to this stuff, though, is that it is black so if you're attached to the clean look, this may not be for you.

Polecat

29 Apr 2019, 02:51

snacksthecat wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 02:36
This time I'm using this "Smooth Kote" gun lube stuff. Some post I came across on one of the forums recommended this (or gun lube in general... can't recall).

It has a nice fine needle applicator which makes it really easy to get into tight spots. One downside to this stuff, though, is that it is black so if you're attached to the clean look, this may not be for you.
Beware of any lube, wet or dry, that contains graphite (which is dark gray or black). Graphite is conductive, and may cause erratic switch behavior. I'd suggest to test first by applying some lube to a scrap of paper or cardboard and checking it with an ohmmeter. If you get a reading less than "infinite" your lube is conductive!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

04 May 2019, 02:22

I'm working on a new PCB, modified to support multiple layouts this time. The problem I'm having is that sometimes the pads are intersecting, and I'm not sure if that's okay.

This is Hasu's APS footprint:

Does anyone know if the circled solid pads functionally do anything? Again, sometimes these pads are intersecting w/ pads 1 and 2 in my PCB layout and I want to figure out if this is an okay design decision or if it will create an issue.

THANKS!

Return to “Workshop”