CommonSense quick-start / noob's guide

kmnov2017

25 Jul 2019, 22:18

What are you talking about ! I have asked a question and hence the post...

DMA

25 Jul 2019, 22:33

kmnov2017 wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 22:18
What are you talking about ! I have asked a question and hence the post...
You copypasted the same question in 2 threads. Please just don't.

PancakeMSTR

03 Aug 2019, 02:58

I'm starting to try and convert my beamspring using common sense because I've given up on the xwhatsit (can't do the SMD soldering).

I have a question, because I'm getting conflicting results from the (available) documentation and the project page, which is do I still have to modify the controller (remove r5) if I need 24 columns? The default project is now named "8x24," which suggests to me that the project is now setup to work with 24 columns? But I also don't see anywhere where it says I don't need to modify the board anymore.

Here is a picture of my PCB. Let me know if I've read the number of columns incorrectly, i.e. if there are more or fewer than 24.

Actually, looking at the PCB, it seems like it only has 23 columns.
Spoiler:

kmnov2017

03 Aug 2019, 22:33

There are 23 columns on a beamspring. I counted 23 on your PCB as well. So you don't need to remove any resistor on the cypress board.

PancakeMSTR

04 Aug 2019, 07:36

Just finished wiring everything up and tried to test. I'm getting absolutely nothing in flight controller, but I can't tell what I've done wrong. The only thing I can point to is some error in Flight controller saying something like "Scan module has gone insane and had to be shot." Does anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty sure I've wired everything up correctly. The only thing I'm not particularly confident about is how I've wired up ground.

Also in Flight Controller the "UNSAFE" text is lit up red. I read in the docs that this means the thresholds are set incorrectly but I have no idea how to set them?

Here's what Im getting from flight controller:
Spoiler:
Direct Link to image cause insert image not working for some reason: https://i.imgur.com/je53Bxi.jpg

kmnov2017

04 Aug 2019, 09:24

Click "Scan" in Flight controller. It's grayed out, you can see it next to "Unsafe". "Scan" must be in green before you can set thresholds. Click on it multiple times until it turns green.

Once green, click on "Threshold" and then follow DMA's guide on "Configuring Keyboard"

PancakeMSTR

04 Aug 2019, 09:45

kmnov2017 wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 09:24
Click "Scan" in Flight controller. It's grayed out, you can see it next to "Unsafe". "Scan" must be in green before you can set thresholds. Click on it multiple times until it turns green.

Once green, click on "Threshold" and then follow DMA's guide on "Configuring Keyboard"
K I've gone through the "Configuring Keyboard" guide multiple times now and I'm not getting anything to work. I changed in the config.h file the keyboard type to"BEAMSPRING," which I had neglected to do earlier, and then I got the scan button to turn green, and then the keymonitor to actually display values, but I don't understand how it's supposed to work and I can't get the keyboard to actually type letters. Any tips?

Did you download the source from the Github repo or are you using "Common Sense V1.0?"

kmnov2017

04 Aug 2019, 11:03

In keymonitor, the values are obtained automatically. You do not need to press anything. Just click reset, choose "Max", let the values stabilize for a few seconds and then click "Set Thresholds".

Go to Thresholds, for beamsprings, reduce the values by say 25%. So 4 becomes 3 and so on. Click Apply. Close Key Monitor, go to Config and then upload. This is important without which your keyboard wont work.

To test the keyboard, make sure "Output" is also green. You can find "Output" next to ''Scan''. (Both Scan and Output need to be green). Now type something on the keyboard, you should see key presses represented as row number/column numbers. This basically means your thresholds were correctly set. All keys should produce a unique value.If say 2 (or more keys) produce the same output, then your threshold values need to be adjusted.

As a next step, go to Layout (once again make sure scan and output are green), type a key, you'll see a yellow highlight on the matrix. Set a value on the drop down - this basically assigns a value to the key press. Complete this for all the keys. Click Apply.

Then do a commit. You should see some text that states a certain set of bytes were written into EEPROM. Close FC. Your keyboard should work now.

PancakeMSTR

04 Aug 2019, 15:31

kmnov2017 wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 11:03
In keymonitor, the values are obtained automatically. You do not need to press anything. Just click reset, choose "Max", let the values stabilize for a few seconds and then click "Set Thresholds".

Go to Thresholds, for beamsprings, reduce the values by say 25%. So 4 becomes 3 and so on. Click Apply. Close Key Monitor, go to Config and then upload. This is important without which your keyboard wont work.

To test the keyboard, make sure "Output" is also green. You can find "Output" next to ''Scan''. (Both Scan and Output need to be green). Now type something on the keyboard, you should see key presses represented as row number/column numbers. This basically means your thresholds were correctly set. All keys should produce a unique value.If say 2 (or more keys) produce the same output, then your threshold values need to be adjusted.

As a next step, go to Layout (once again make sure scan and output are green), type a key, you'll see a yellow highlight on the matrix. Set a value on the drop down - this basically assigns a value to the key press. Complete this for all the keys. Click Apply.

Then do a commit. You should see some text that states a certain set of bytes were written into EEPROM. Close FC. Your keyboard should work now.
I'll give it a try. Thank you!

PancakeMSTR

04 Aug 2019, 18:37

Okay I just simply don't understand why this is not working for me. I've gone through the steps multiple times and can't get any decent behavior. If I mash the keyboard with my hands I get a bunch of output in flight controller but pressing single keys simply doesn't do anything, ever.

Steps:

- Loaded 5251.cfg

- Here is what I'm getting in Matrix monitor: https://imgur.com/gvhUx7p

- I press "Set Thresholds" and then adjusted each to be 75% of what was in the box.

- Press Apply, Upload.

- Press Scan and Output until they are both green

And then at that point it's just anything goes. Like I said if I mash keys I get output but pressing individual keys just does not work....

And, of course, I absolutely cannot get any text output from the keyboard whatsoever.

By the way, if it helps to know, Here's how I wired the rows and columns: https://imgur.com/a/gS8I3jn

Assuming I didn't make an error (and it's definitely possible I did), but that's at least what I tried to do. Also looking at it now I should have reversed the direction I wired the columns in but I don't know if it matters really.

kmnov2017

04 Aug 2019, 19:49

What about GND? The two GND traces on the beamspring PCB must be connected to GND on cypress AND also to the keyboard metal chassis.

kmnov2017

04 Aug 2019, 19:51

Also your matrix seems wrong, you should see 24x8 or 24 x4. I see only 16x8, which means you didn't change the config.h correctly. Once your set the correct matrix in config.h, you must recompile the firmware and flash the firmware once again.

Return to “Workshop”