Add LED to non-lit Cherry MX?

Tyrox

26 Mar 2012, 00:02

Currently I'm in the phase of deciding which keyboard to get and I narrowed it down to either the QPAD MK-80 ot the Tt eSPORTS Meka G-Unit.
The Meka would be perfect, if it had backlighting on all the keys. So I was thinking, if it was possible to add LEDs to all the non-lit keys?
I assume that the keycaps are all "backlight-capable" as I don't think they would use another production method for some extra keys, but what about all the technical details? Does the PCB have to support this hack somehow? Is there enough current to drive the extra LEDs? I couldn't find any info on this, so all tips and tricks are much appreciated.

mintberryminuscrunch

26 Mar 2012, 00:57

lets just say that it wouldn't be worth the trouble and costs to mod it.
there are decent backlit keyboards out there

Tyrox

26 Mar 2012, 01:09

Sadly none that seem to suit my needs.
But if you should have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. German layout is a must, media control keys have to be present (at least via FN key), Cherry MX Black prefered, Red if necessary, Backlight, and macro keys if available.

Findecanor

26 Mar 2012, 05:17

I don't think that all keys on the Meka G-Unit are backlight-capable. The letters on the backlit WASD keys are higher up than on other keys. The legends on the other keys look like raised infill.
Yes, the PCB needs to have circuits to each individual LED for backlighting to work.

Personally, I think that backlighting is little more than a gimmick. I think that you should relax that criteria. You need only to find where to place your hands, and then you can type away... or game away. The nubs on the F and J keys will also help you with that.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

26 Mar 2012, 07:35

Tyrox wrote:Sadly none that seem to suit my needs.
But if you should have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. German layout is a must, media control keys have to be present (at least via FN key), Cherry MX Black prefered, Red if necessary, Backlight, and macro keys if available.
http://www.qpad-germany.de/de/shop/a:30

Here you go. Fits everything you asked for. Even has (hardware based!) macro keys. As it happens I finished writing my review on this one last night and will be publishing it sometime tomorrow.

Tyrox

26 Mar 2012, 09:11

sixty, yes as I said, QPAD MK-80/85 or the Meka G-Unit.

The macro keys on the MK-85 are - from my understanding - just normal redefined keys, which would render them more or lesss uselsess, or am I wrong here? I'll be awaiting your review though!

Return to “Workshop”