Keyboard Photogrammetry

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

31 Dec 2019, 21:32

Slightly upgraded setup. Let's get ready to spend the day taking pictures of something small that might not even scan!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

01 Jan 2020, 21:42

The small object I referred to above was a Micro Switch SD keyswitch. Compared to the XMIT keycap (which is roughly the same size), this one didn't present nearly as many problems scanning. That being said, I was primed with the knowledge I've gained with all the failed attempts to scan a keycap, so going into this I did things in very specific ways.

https://skfb.ly/6PFIV

A few things off the top of my head that I did thoughtfully:
  • Pushed the exposure pretty high -- otherwise no features (e.g. scratches) show up in the black plastic
  • Left the camera focus the exact same for all 322 photos
  • Reshot a set of photos that didn't align well
  • Set a custom white balance and used it for all sets
  • Shot from the same angle (~45°) with the switch positioned in 5 different ways, masked out background to recreate whole object
The main reason why this was so much easier to scan than the keycaps is it has so many more features in any given view. There are changes in colors, textures, depths -- whereas the keycap was smooth and uniform across most of its surface. I might give that one last try with a lot of light and slightly over expose it to bring out the little micro scratches on the surface. Maybe trick the software into understanding what we're feeding it.

Oh and the "MICRO SWITCH" background is a photo I took as well. I have a few Micro Switch boxes from keypads I bought a while ago. They have this really cool printing on them. Whenever I send someone something small, I like to use these nifty boxes.

Polecat

01 Jan 2020, 21:54

Nice, I'm enjoying your work as always Snacks!

I have a few of those old boxes myself, probably dating back to the '60s. But mine have white printing on a dark blue background. "Micro Switch a Honeywell Division" or just "Micro Switch".

SneakyRobb
THINK

02 Jan 2020, 20:16

This is really cool and impressive. I feel like your photographs are almost all top-banner quality. Very aesthetic

Return to “Workshop”