Numeridex Oak FTM Board Rebuild

User avatar
OldIsNew

14 Mar 2020, 02:28

I recently picked up a Numeridex 7000C2 keyboard. I haven't been able to find out much about the system it came with. The date code is 249-8219 so maybe 19th week of 1982?
01orig_sm.jpg
01orig_sm.jpg (288.9 KiB) Viewed 206 times
02front_orig1_sm.jpg
02front_orig1_sm.jpg (211.35 KiB) Viewed 206 times
09back2_sm.jpg
09back2_sm.jpg (155.2 KiB) Viewed 206 times
10side2_sm.jpg
10side2_sm.jpg (179.67 KiB) Viewed 206 times


It turned out to be an Oak Full Travel Membrane board:

25switch1_sm.jpg
25switch1_sm.jpg (126.85 KiB) Viewed 206 times

When I tested the matrix it turned out that a number of keys didn't work properly so I decided to take it fully apart, clean it and see if I could reassemble it and get it working.
03open4_sm.jpg
03open4_sm.jpg (246.13 KiB) Viewed 206 times
04open2_sm.jpg
04open2_sm.jpg (501.75 KiB) Viewed 206 times




Keyboard module:
05module_front2_sm.jpg
05module_front2_sm.jpg (259.09 KiB) Viewed 206 times
06module_back1_sm.jpg
06module_back1_sm.jpg (210.73 KiB) Viewed 206 times



PCB:
07PCB_1_sm.jpg
07PCB_1_sm.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 206 times
08PCB_2_sm.jpg
08PCB_2_sm.jpg (562.64 KiB) Viewed 206 times






The switched are held directly to the metal plate by melted plastic rivets through the keyboard membrane. I used a wood chisel to cut off the rivet heads and remove the switches and the membrane.
19switches_off_sm.jpg
19switches_off_sm.jpg (226.55 KiB) Viewed 206 times
11membrane_front1_sm.jpg
11membrane_front1_sm.jpg (358.43 KiB) Viewed 206 times
12membrane_back1_sm.jpg
12membrane_back1_sm.jpg (369.23 KiB) Viewed 206 times




A plunger presses a central spring against the membrane to active the switches.
13switch_detail2_sm.jpg
13switch_detail2_sm.jpg (157.72 KiB) Viewed 206 times
14switch_detail_1_sm.jpg
14switch_detail_1_sm.jpg (135.09 KiB) Viewed 206 times
15switch_bottom1_sm.jpg
15switch_bottom1_sm.jpg (199.36 KiB) Viewed 206 times
16switch_bottom2_sm.jpg
16switch_bottom2_sm.jpg (186.82 KiB) Viewed 206 times





The Shift Lock and Caps Lock are latching switches:
26lock_switch_off1_sm.jpg
26lock_switch_off1_sm.jpg (97.62 KiB) Viewed 206 times
27lock_switch_off2_sm.jpg
27lock_switch_off2_sm.jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 206 times
17locking_switch1_sm.jpg
17locking_switch1_sm.jpg (103.63 KiB) Viewed 206 times
18locking_switch2_sm.jpg
18locking_switch2_sm.jpg (98.21 KiB) Viewed 206 times





The membrane parts are glued together so I did not attempt to separate them. When I tested the membrane out of the board, however, all the switches were working. After cleaning the membrane, switches and springs, I began to reassemble the board. I used clear silicone sealant (same as used as an aquarium sealant) to hold the switch pegs in the plate. I chose this because I found it held the switches firmly enough, but still allows for removal of the switches and easily cleans off plastic.

20gluing_switches_sm.jpg
20gluing_switches_sm.jpg (627.11 KiB) Viewed 206 times
21`switches_glued_sm.jpg
21`switches_glued_sm.jpg (202.1 KiB) Viewed 206 times


To connect the membrane I used trio-mate 17pos connectors, breadboard pins and prototype board:
22connector_parts_sm.jpg
22connector_parts_sm.jpg (121.62 KiB) Viewed 206 times



Wired up the Teensy:

23Teensy_sm.jpg
23Teensy_sm.jpg (269.56 KiB) Viewed 206 times




Then reassembled the case. I did touch up the case with sage green spray paint which matched quite well. I haven't done the edges of the black front plate yet though.
28finished0_sm.jpg
28finished0_sm.jpg (356.88 KiB) Viewed 185 times
24finished2_SM.jpg
24finished2_SM.jpg (291.56 KiB) Viewed 206 times

This is the matrix I came up with:
Matric_current.jpg
Matric_current.jpg (246.61 KiB) Viewed 206 times


The switches are linear, rather heavy and and overall I would say very "meh." It was still worthwhile imo, however, since I had never had the chance to try these switches before and it did make for a fun little project.

Quick video of banging away on board:

Post Reply

Return to “Workshop”