"Restoring" and hacking a Pinnacle Deko!

stoddartc1

28 Mar 2020, 09:52

Hello all, after receiving a Pinnacle Deko and Model M122 for just the shipping cost from Blaise170 (thanks again!) I set off on making both of them work. This is my process of making the Deko function!

The Board in its original condition:

As you can see, my work is cut out for me. All I need to do is replace the keycaps, and somehow get the keyboard working with an every-day computer.

Step 1: Disassembly to repair broken switch
So one of the first things I noticed with the keyboard is that there was a broken switch on it. Fixing this is easy enough, all that's involved is a simple desolder and swap. To do so, first I need to disassemble the keyboard.

The broken switch

Curiously enough, the board came with one of these. I believe it's from an MX-compatible typewriter (perhaps a Gabriele 7007L)

Top case off
next step

Desoldering the switch

Done!

Step 2: Getting it working with PS/2 only

So the Deko is designed to work with a 5v power supply using a DIN cable in addtion to a standard PS/2 cable, however reddit user /u/flecom discovered that if you run some jumper wires inside the PCB, you can get it to work using only the 5v from a USB to PS/2 active adapter.

So, I did just that

Step 3: Hacking together a male to male PS/2 cable
Since the Deko requires the use of a male to male PS/2 cable to plug into, and since I'm impatient, I decided to make one of my own as I do not currently own one.

These poor rubberdomes never stood a chance... (bonus points if you know what they're sitting on, as it's the subject of my next gallery post)

Beautiful

Step 4: Putting it all together

Testing it out
https://i.imgur.com/kmNitGI.mp4 --video

After deko-ing it out with a spare set of OG Cherry Doubleshots I had lying around it's ready to rock!

Fkazim

28 Mar 2020, 17:30

Great work.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

28 Mar 2020, 17:42

wow great work, that was fast :lol:

OldIsNew

29 Mar 2020, 16:43

Nice job! Oh, but those poor rubber domes!

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

29 Mar 2020, 16:47

Wow I'm really glad to have gotten these into your hands, you've done more in a few days than I was ever able to do in the few years I owned it. Nice work!

Return to “Workshop”