Desoldering bent switchplate legs. [Alps switches]

-Space-NATO-

29 Mar 2022, 21:00

Bent pins under some soldering.
Spoiler:

Remove Solder and VERY GENTLY put a flat screwdriver head under the pin.
Spoiler:

Let it cool down until it solidifies.
Spoiler:

Repeat the process with the other pin.
Spoiler:

The goal is to just separate the pins from the solder located under them.
Spoiler:

Gently pull the switch from the switchplate. Notice the bent legs.
Spoiler:

With some needle nose pliers press the pins until they are straight.
Spoiler:

Hope this helps!

inozenz

30 Mar 2022, 09:49

Thats a great method. very tedious work but its well worth it.

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Mar 2022, 16:45

I hate it when they do that.

In my experience, the old Apples were the worst offenders, and sometimes early Dells.

It does make some sense for the original assembly, but I am sure that in the late 20th century nobody imagined that people would still be using and appreciating those keyboards decades later.

OldIsNew

31 Mar 2022, 04:22

For sure something to watch for! More than once I've pulled off a trace off when trying to remove a bent contact and then spent way too much time trying to fix it - better to take your time and do it right. I have found that using solder wick is helpful (put some extra flux on it too) to reduce the likelihood of solder left behind before prying up a bent contact .

Polecat

31 Mar 2022, 05:18

I've had better luck (fewer broken pins and lifted traces) by bending the pins straight while the solder is melted before removing the switch from the board:

viewtopic.php?p=492998#p492998

an_achronism

31 Mar 2022, 13:59

Polecat wrote:
31 Mar 2022, 05:18
I've had better luck (fewer broken pins and lifted traces) by bending the pins straight while the solder is melted before removing the switch from the board:

viewtopic.php?p=492998#p492998
Yep. Good solid tweezers that won't bend and don't stick to solder make this much easier. Melt solder, grab switch pin with tweezers while solder still molten, straighten pin up somewhat (don't spend time on it or you'll probably fuck the pad), let it go solid again while you do the next pin. You could try to immediately remove the solder while it's still molten here but unless you're incredibly quick at dropping the tweezers and grabbing the solder sucker, you're just putting unnecessary amounts of heat into the pad for too much time which makes it more likely you'll bugger it up. Once the solder points have had a sec to recover, just heat each one again and remove the solder as you normally would (SS-02 or whatever).

More than one way to skin a cat, innit.

tonyadams

24 Apr 2023, 08:52

Wonderful guide. I appreciate your effort in spending time making this helpful guide.
io games

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 Apr 2023, 13:46

tonyadams wrote:
24 Apr 2023, 08:52
Wonderful guide. I appreciate your effort in spending time making this helpful guide.
io games
Nice try with a well hidden spam link, but do not underestimate dedicated moderators :lol:

Muirium
µ

24 Apr 2023, 19:16

Good hunting, amigo. ;)

Forcing spammers to be nice, whatever will we next achieve?

Return to “Workshop”