Cleaning a Model F PCB

thefarside

22 Apr 2022, 02:26

Stupid question: Is there anything wrong with cleaning a Model F PCB with 99% isopropyl alcohol? I’m pretty sure the answer is NO but wanted to double check just in case. My PCB is a little dirty and has some stains, so my plan was to wipe it with alcohol and KIM wipes. Thanks in advance!

jsheradin

22 Apr 2022, 04:46

It's basically a normal PCB except super thin; alcohol is fine. I've done iso scrubs on pretty much all my boards (model Fs included) and they've all made it out alive.

I think there's date codes/inspection stamps printed on some of the boards that will wash off however. Worth being a bit careful around them for the preservation aspect.

fohat
Elder Messenger

22 Apr 2022, 15:20

Alcohol is my favorite cleaner and my go-to, but it does not "play well" with many plastics.

I use it on Model F PCBs as with many other items, wiping quickly and then giving them a quick "rinse" wipe with a wet paper towel. Maybe I am being overly cautious.

thefarside

22 Apr 2022, 15:35

fohat wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 15:20
Alcohol is my favorite cleaner and my go-to, but it does not "play well" with many plastics.

I use it on Model F PCBs as with many other items, wiping quickly and then giving them a quick "rinse" wipe with a wet paper towel. Maybe I am being overly cautious.
Thanks I’ll try your method just to be safe. The last thing I want is to have to replace an obsolete PCB :oops:

Return to “Workshop”