[HELP] PS2 to USB C - what can i do ?

guidemetothelight

13 Jun 2022, 20:51

Hello Dear Community,

i recently bought a cheap lauren fischer branded cherry g80 for basically nothing
download/file.php?mode=view&id=74250
I just bought it cause i thought it could have vint blacks ( i know :? ) in it.
no branding nor sticker at the back. no idea if they are vintage (westgermany built , cause thats where i live) mx blacks.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=74258
Well , i kinda fell in love with it. The way the board flexes a bit, they "smooth" feel of old cherry mx blacks, the simple aesthetic.
Some Random things that say GMK fell into my view.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=74256
My Plan is, to tinker a bit with it , put some non conductive putty in the hollow shell , maybe retrobright or airbrush it ( or maybe hammerit , for that norbauer vibe) , treat the stabs with some lube and most importantly: mod it to usb c.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=74257
Now comes my question.

Can that even be done, while not using that much space. The best thing for me would be , if it can be integrated into the shell of the keyboard.
I have decent soldering skills and really basic experience with coding.
Do u Guys and Girls have any ressources or sites u can point to ?

I only heard from soarer´s software and found stuff like that:
https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/product/tinke ... -firmware/
online as a prebuilt to buy.
Or does it simply work 1 to 1:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=74254
download/file.php?mode=view&id=74253
Thanks for your time if you read this and have a great day,

happy typing , :)
Nick
Attachments
topremoved
topremoved
IMG_2528.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 1798 times
ps2cable
ps2cable
IMG_2527.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 1798 times
gmkchip
gmkchip
IMG_2522.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 1798 times
usbpinout
usbpinout
usb-connectors.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
pspinout
pspinout
ps2_pinout.png (162.97 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

Findecanor

13 Jun 2022, 21:20

There should be some room under the nav keys, if I remember correctly.
You could get a microcontroller board with a ATmega32u4 microcontroller on it for €5 if you're lucky, flash Soarer's or the TMK PS/2 converter firmware to it and fit it under there (with some insulating tape).
The Pro Micro (clone) is popular, but another with the same chip could be used if it can be flashed over USB and it exposes the pins that the firmware uses.

You could figure out the pinout of the internal connector using a multimeter to check the cable.

guidemetothelight

13 Jun 2022, 22:41

Findecanor wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 21:20

You could get a microcontroller board with a ATmega32u4 microcontroller on it for €5 if you're lucky, flash Soarer's or the TMK PS/2 converter firmware to it
so you have product links you can recommend ?

Best regards

Findecanor

13 Jun 2022, 23:06

I'm sorry: forgot one important thing: The board should be a version that runs on 5V.
(3.3V Pro Micro has a jumper to make it run on 5V)

Microcontroller boards with the ATmega32U4 chip, such as the Pro Micro should otherwise be very common, found at any store that caters to electronics hobbyists. Also common on eBay and AliExpress among others.
A German components store that you know might be best for you if you are in Germany. That's why I didn't post any links.
Anyway, here's one.

Some stores that cater especially to DIY keyboard hobbyists also tend to have Pro Micro-clones with a USB-C socket, but in this case, I don't think it would be of much use unless you would mount the board so that the connector sticks out of the case.

hellothere

14 Jun 2022, 01:53

Just because no one's mentioned it, it's probable that you can make this work over USB A with just an adapter. I know you want USB-C, though.

Note that the Pro Micro mentioned above is USB micro, not USB C. I think you might have some luck with https://www.littlekeyboards.com/products/elite-c-v3, but I haven't tried that board. It's supposed to be backwards compatible to any other devices that use the ATmega32U4.

I like TMK, but note that the "recommended" controller is a Teensy 2.0 and that uses USB mini.

I strongly recommend this thread on Soarer's. As it says, it's beginner friendly and I try to update it every time I use it.

Hey, go Bluetooth. Impress us :D.

guidemetothelight

14 Jun 2022, 09:57

Findecanor wrote:
13 Jun 2022, 23:06
I'm sorry: forgot one important thing: The board should be a version that runs on 5V.
(3.3V Pro Micro has a jumper to make it run on 5V)
Some stores that cater especially to DIY keyboard hobbyists also tend to have Pro Micro-clones with a USB-C socket, but in this case, I don't think it would be of much use unless you would mount the board so that the connector sticks out of the case.
thank you for all your feedback and help !

guidemetothelight

14 Jun 2022, 10:00

hellothere wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 01:53
Just because no one's mentioned it, it's probable that you can make this work over USB A with just an adapter. I know you want USB-C, though.

Note that the Pro Micro mentioned above is USB micro, not USB C. I think you might have some luck with https://www.littlekeyboards.com/products/elite-c-v3, but I haven't tried that board. It's supposed to be backwards compatible to any other devices that use the ATmega32U4.

I like TMK, but note that the "recommended" controller is a Teensy 2.0 and that uses USB mini.

I strongly recommend this thread on Soarer's. As it says, it's beginner friendly and I try to update it every time I use it.

Hey, go Bluetooth. Impress us :D.
USB A would also be ok , i mostly wanna have a usb c connector at the back of the board , so i can use fancy aviators.

Thanks for sharing the post about soarers !

Bluetooth would maybe be an option , but then there would be no space for all that resin / putty ;)

Return to “Workshop”