QMK Powered Equivalent to Soarer’s Converter?

ifohancroft

16 Jun 2023, 16:43

DMA wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 16:36
ifohancroft wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 13:08
Tell me more about yours.
Not much to tell, really. https://github.com/dmaone/CommonSense, runs on previously-unobtainium, but now back in stock (albeit $20 now, not $15) CY8CKIT-059, passes USB2-CV, has no static protection. Can read capacitive, inductive and ohmic switches.

MCU is ~$9.50@25 parts from mouser, needs ~4 capacitors, 2 resistors, USB protection chip and USB connector - so whole BOM is like $11 for a lot of 25.
That's cool!
Thanks!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Jun 2023, 23:10

Questions for Pandrew if he is reading along:

#1 -- Any idea why might the service light on mine always be showing yellow (i.e. degraded)? Everything seems to work fine and I don't see anything alarming in the terminal. Just has me curious.

brave_hFt9lurHO5.png
brave_hFt9lurHO5.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 2393 times

#2 -- Do you know if it's possible to define multiple "default" keymaps for a given keyboard? So that when someone switches to a different layout it doesn't just bring up a blank keymap.

brave_JRJlJtKAZc.gif
brave_JRJlJtKAZc.gif (312.43 KiB) Viewed 2391 times

Muirium
µ

17 Jun 2023, 11:10

snacksthecat wrote:
16 Jun 2023, 23:10
Questions for Pandrew if he is reading along:
If he is, he's a better man than most of us. ;)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

17 Jun 2023, 22:24

I've got this back online if anyone wants to give it a try:
http://config.snacksthecat.com/

I folded in some of pandrew's fixes for:
  • Lock lights
  • Support for Televideo DEC
Tested on an AT and XT keyboard but haven't tested on Terminal.

The https link should work tomorrow.

Ellipse

28 Jun 2023, 06:00

Muirium wrote:
14 Jun 2023, 23:14
It’s, ah, common knowledge: for better or worse for Pandrew’s server bills. ;)

I’d be happier hotlinking it if Ellipse hosted the thing himself, as surely most of the traffic is from his hardware sales. But that’s not how he rolls.
Last year another forum member and I both tried to set up QMK servers locally as a test, with the purpose of having an additional site for QMK beta before the main QMK site accepted xwhatsit, but it produced a number of errors and it was unable to work (I don't remember the specifics but the QMK site never loaded locally). I am definitely open to trying to set this up and do not see a problem hosting it with the Model F project site since my hosting plan allows unlimited bandwidth, though it is not a VPS so it is somewhat limited.

If anyone has successfully set up a QMK server (looks like snacksthecat succeeded) please let me know if they can help with some instructions (pandrew was very helpful trying to set things up last year but the latest QMK at the time did not work). Another issue I believe is that the xwhatsit does not currently work on QMK due to some updates on QMK's side but this may be fixed by now.

Muirium
µ

28 Jun 2023, 10:11

Pleased to hear you tried, at least. Snacks is friendly and you can surely ask him how he did it. Such a fundamental part of the project should be run by the project.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

03 Jul 2023, 04:29

I looked at the existing Model F configurator site and it's implemented in a much better/maintainable way than how I approached things.

I mostly left the web stack project code untouched, except changing the API URL to one where I was returning my mocked data. The only reason I did this was because the QMK API repository has it hardcoded requests to keyboards.qmk.fm for keyboard info.

Screenshot from 2023-07-02 21-26-14.png
Screenshot from 2023-07-02 21-26-14.png (97.53 KiB) Viewed 2134 times

This keyboard data is needed to tell the configurator which keyboards to list and all details about them. I have no idea how to automatically generate these files but apparently pandrew has cracked that nut.

That's basically the missing piece of the puzzle for me. In my guide, I just mocked up these files to support the single keyboard and few layouts that I wanted to be available. In reality, this doesn't scale when you need to support as many keyboards as are available on the existing configurator site.

Edit: but if you don't mind manually generating them, it's totally possible to just do this manually and serve the files up through github (or something similar). The folder structure just needs to match what url paths configurator is expecting. Here is my example.
https://github.com/snacksthecat/qmk_web_stack_files

logen3

08 Aug 2023, 16:03

Muirium wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 12:35
So, thanks to Pandrew I’ve gotten quite into QMK on my IBMs. QMK’s web configurator is quite elegant for defining layouts and many layers. Mouse keys in particular are a nice feature I’d like to bring to all my keyboards, for use in a pinch.

But so how to run QMK on a Teensy as a AT/PS2 to USB converter? Where’s the support for it in the QMK configurator? And where’s the hex file? ;)

I’ve had a look around the QMK website, GitHub etc. and can’t find a straight up AT to USB converter in the project. ADB to USB is there, among other converters, but where is the equivalent to Soarer’s converter? Can I run QMK on a Teensy to convert from AT to USB?

I’ve been running Hasu’s TMK on my Teensy driven ADB converter for a while and like it a lot. Mind, I prefer QMK’s web configurator to TMK’s Unimap so I will try flashing my ADB Teensy with QMK as well.

But what about all those AT boards? Besides the PS/2 converter Teensy above, I’ve internal Teensy converters in some which could really use full QMK configurator goodness. Is this not a thing? I’m perplexed it’s not just right there among the converters. Surely AT is the most popular of all?

Greetings! I wanted to take a moment to express my sincere appreciation for the time
I spent reading your post. I found the informative content to be incredibly engaging and
I am grateful for the effort you put into writing it. Your willingness to share your
knowledge and insights is truly commendable and I am thankful for the valuable information
that you have provided. Thank you again for your outstanding contribution.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Aug 2023, 08:24

Muirium was very kind with the spammer who wrote the previous post: he chose to just block them from editing their post (and thus later adding a spam link).

Well, while agreeing with Muirium to not delete the post (I do share the appreciation expressed in it), I banned the poster altogether.
If not for intending to later spam-edit the post, then for at least proven laziness and sort of copyright infringement - after all, the very same text can be found in multiple posts all over the Internet :lol:

Muirium
µ

09 Aug 2023, 10:12

My plan was to let him set several of these traps, then find to his dismay that each and every one of them is silently ruined on his inevitable spamming return. But banning also works. :P

I didn’t even bother to search for his text string. It was patently obvious he never bothered to read the post of mine he’d quoted: it was just a question! :roll:

Return to “Workshop”