QMK noob questions

AJM

29 Jul 2022, 10:21

After using more or less modded Vortex ViBEs for the last couple of years, I now have my first keyboard with a "proper" QMK pcb (W1-AT) and would like to ask a few simple (I hope) questions, to set me on the right track.
At the moment I use VIA, which is very nice, because it's so easy to use. But very soon I discovered a few limitations, which are disappointing. Maybe someone could tell me, if I wouldn't have these limitations, when using other QMK tools.

1) If I want to program a key output, which includes modifiers ("{" for example), I have to use a "macro". But I can program only 15 macros max, which is not a lot.
2) I can't see a way to reprogram the SHIFT layer of an otherwise "normal" key. For example: My OS is set to German, so when I press <SHIFT>+<3> I get "§" (a character, that I have never used during my entire life). Instead I would like to get "#" from that combination.
3) The layer "2" doesn't seem to work at all. I guess there's probably a bug in the predefinition of that keyboard in VIA?
4) If there are multiple other tools, what is the best in your opinion? I would prefer something, that is not the "QMK toolbox", which I had installed once a long time ago. The installation "filled up" my PC with many many gigabytes of stuff, but it never worked.
Attachments
W1AT.jpg
W1AT.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 1276 times

Muirium
µ

29 Jul 2022, 10:55

AJM wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 10:21
I would prefer something, that is not the "QMK toolbox", which I had installed once a long time ago. The installation "filled up" my PC with many many gigabytes of stuff, but it never worked.
Gigabytes? That's not the QMK Toolbox I know…
Spoiler:
Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.16 am.png
Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 9.51.16 am.png (550.58 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
The .hex files you download to flash onto your keyboard are typically 69 kilobytes each, so it's not those either. ;)

Anyway, my QMK experience is all with my beloved vintage IBMs. I can't help you with your keyboard, but I can vouch for QMK overall. It's a nice lightweight but powerful platform, and no space hog. Compared to VIAL/VIA it's a lighter workload for the keyboard's controller as well, giving you more scope for programming. Hopefully someone can help you get up to speed.

AJM

30 Jul 2022, 15:45

It wasn´t so much the Toolbox itself, but all the driver packages, which were suggested on different sites - to make the toolbox somehow recognize the keyboard, which it never did.
But I gave it another shot and with this keyboard it now works.
So instead of VIA I can now use the online QMK configurator in combination with the QMK toolbox.
That solves problem 1.
Problem 3 was me being stupid and is also solved.
That leaves only problem 2, which could be solved with the new tools by recreating the shift layer as an FN layer, but I´m not sure, if I want to invest that much effort, really.

Return to “Workshop”