Keyboard Testing Software

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

26 Aug 2022, 01:49

Wondering what software people use for testing keyboards.

For years I've used the Switch Hitter program from elitekeyboards.com. It appears to no longer be on their site but you can still find some links to download the latest/final version from other websites if you do a search for it. It should pop right up in any search engine. Features I like about this program:
  • Supports 4 keyboard layouts by default: ANSI 104 / 87 and ISO 105 / 88
  • Shows full details about a pressed key: name, win code, BIOS code, and more
  • Has a log that shows the history of what keys you've tested and their details
  • Visual indicator if a key has chatter (aka alert)
  • Has a reset button to clear all keys back to untested state
  • Visualized using 4 key states: unpressed, depressed, pressed, alert. (Colors are customizable through settings)
  • Lock key testing
  • Ability to create custom layouts by defining a configuration file (seems simple but I'm not sure how flexible it is in terms of placement just glancing at the config files)
I just noticed that last feature today. It's something I've been looking for while searching through other testing programs and most don't seem to have it.

switch-hitter.png
switch-hitter.png (52.42 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
switch-hitter-settings.png
switch-hitter-settings.png (28.18 KiB) Viewed 3121 times

More recently I've found myself using the keyboard tester that's built into QMK Toolbox, mainly out of convenience since I'll already have the program open. Here's a comparison of the features offered by that mini tool:
  • A single 126 key universal layout
  • Limited details about the pressed key: scan code and "VK" (virtual key??)
  • No log
  • No chatter indicator
  • No reset button, have to close out of QMK Toolbox completely and open it fresh
  • Only 3 key states: unpressed, depressed, pressed
  • No lock light testing
  • No option to add custom layouts
qmk-toolbox.png
qmk-toolbox.png (30.11 KiB) Viewed 3121 times

I find both programs useful and it's very nice that they're free. Obviously I find the Switch Hitter more featureful and it also just "feels" better (hard to put my finger on).

Beyond those two, I've been looking into other similar programs that might suit my needs. I'd like something that is an upgrade from Switch Hitter, but that is already covering quite a few bases so not sure if that's realistic.

One alternative that I've found is KeyboardTest from PassMark software. It seems to have similar features offered by Switch Hitter but is not free. At $29 for a single license and volume licensing packages available, I get the impression that it's more geared toward corporate IT departments as a support tool (not a bad thing necessarily, but still a bit pricey compared to free). I don't have this software but here's another feature comparison based on what I see on the site.
  • Multiple default layouts
  • Full details about a pressed key (see above) + some more
  • No log, or at least maybe it's summarized keyboard-level logging for testing several keyboards in "batch mode"
  • No "chatter" indicator, but maybe that's covered by some of the other key states it has
  • Yes reset button
  • 6 key press states: tested OK, depressed, not tesable, failure, under-pressed, over-pressed
  • Yes lock key testing, but seems to be on a different screen
  • Yes customizable layouts. Small library of downloadable layouts of common boards on their site (mostly cheap dome boards but I also see OmniKey and a few IBM boards). The config files for layouts seem similar to Switch Hitter so can probably define your own. Looks like it has location information.
  • + mouse and mouse key testing capabilities
  • + Maybe more? (limited info on their site, pet peeve of mine)
keyboardtest.png
keyboardtest.png (92.11 KiB) Viewed 3121 times

So what do you use and what do you like about it? Anything out there that I should be aware of?

depletedvespene

26 Aug 2022, 02:34

snacksthecat wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 01:49
For years I've used the Switch Hitter program from elitekeyboards.com. It appears to no longer be on their site but you can still find some links to download the latest/final version from other websites if you do a search for it. It should pop right up in any search engine. Features I like about this program:
  • Ability to create custom layouts by defining a configuration file (seems simple but I'm not sure how flexible it is in terms of placement just glancing at the config files)
I just noticed that last feature today. It's something I've been looking for while searching through other testing programs and most don't seem to have it.
I had never mentioned that last bit too much, thinking this was common knowledge. These are the custom all-expansive layouts I have for it. Replacing the national layouts legends in the alphas is trivial, so more .kbl files can be easily added if needed:

KBL.zip
KBL files.
(8.04 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

Switch Hitter.
Switch Hitter.
SH.png (66.51 KiB) Viewed 3104 times

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

26 Aug 2022, 14:44

That’s pretty rad and seems simple to define.

I guess Switch Hitter probably has all the features I’m looking for. But I’ve always been the “is the grass greener?” type so I was on the search for an upgrade. Pretty much all other software I’ve found have seemed to fall short of Switch Hitter in every category.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

26 Aug 2022, 15:09

Just realized I posted this topic in Gallery on accident. Sorry about that.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 Aug 2022, 16:44

snacksthecat wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 15:09
Just realized I posted this topic in Gallery on accident. Sorry about that.
Fixed :D

Muirium
µ

26 Aug 2022, 20:29

I had no idea Switch Hitter was as featureful, as I’ve never once run it, being Windows only. Shame it’s just abandonware now. There really ought to be an open source clone! It does sound quite good.

Chatter is something I notice while actually typing, rather than any specific test procedure. Thankfully I very very seldom encounter it. Basically only from certain MX customs I have tried to make for myself!

Back in the past, while learning my way around Soarer, I just used the keyboard viewer built into the Mac. It was always good for finding hidden symbols, too:

These days, as with so many basic things, it has gotten much worse, albeit in the name of accessibility for the disabled. It is no longer such a simple viewer for hardware events. Anyway, when I need to see which keys are being pressed now I just look in Karabiner’s event viewer. But right enough it has nothing like the features that you’ve described.

Anyone fancy putting up something good on GitHub? 😉

zrrion

26 Aug 2022, 20:35

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... tility.exe

The program I use is called "keyboard test utility" and that's so generic that I somehow found it once and haven't actually been able to find it again so I've pinned a link in a discord I'm in so that folks can get it easier. It works with no fuss. Only feature I wish it had was the ability to load custom layouts but that's a small gripe honestly.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

27 Aug 2022, 15:36

Muirium wrote:
Anyone fancy putting up something good on GitHub? 😉
I did some searching for a Mac solution but didn't really find any desktop software. There's a lot of web-based testing sites, but I haven't even looked at those just assuming their inadequate. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.

On GitHub I found just these two projects but both seem limited and/or painful to use.
https://github.com/inflex/keyboard-tester
Spoiler:
github-keyboard-tester.png
github-keyboard-tester.png (72.07 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
https://github.com/mhdhejazi/Inspect
Spoiler:
github-inspect.png
github-inspect.png (62.22 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
zrrion wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 20:35
The program I use is called "keyboard test utility" and that's so generic that I somehow found it once and haven't actually been able to find it again so I've pinned a link in a discord I'm in so that folks can get it easier. It works with no fuss. Only feature I wish it had was the ability to load custom layouts but that's a small gripe honestly.
We're definitely creatures of habit aren't we! I love me some obscure software as well.

ZeFritz

29 Aug 2022, 17:04

Muirium wrote:
Back in the past, while learning my way around Soarer, I just used the keyboard viewer built into the Mac.
Nice. I will save the info for future use.
Anyway, when I need to see which keys are being pressed now I just look in Karabiner’s event viewer.
To see which keys are being pressed on my Mac, I'm using Key Codes out of the App Store.

Muirium
µ

29 Aug 2022, 19:06

Looking at their promotional screenshot:

I can't say I'm impressed! If you squint in the right place you can see the active modifiers listed out, but it doesn't strike me as an effective keyboard tester. You really want things plotted out on a chart, like Key Hitter does, and Pandrew's Utility for IBM capsense controllers:

In fact, that very app may be the most effective starting point for a modern, configurable layout, open source, cross platform answer to all this.

Here it is showing my Kishsaver, note the different layout:

Something like this, labelled with the keys as they actually are, would be just the ticket. Pandrew's utility is really for debugging capsense IBMs specifically, so focusses on their matrix's rows and columns. That can be handy for repairing any (well known) keyboard, but the more general use case is even simpler.

dotdash

29 Aug 2022, 23:35

Here are the original additional layouts that used to be available for download.
Attachments
EK-Layouts-master.zip
(12.1 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Return to “Workshop”