IBM AT USB conversion

Icarium

13 Oct 2022, 22:42

How do I connect this guy to my computer? Should I get a Soarer? Can I just use a Teensy? I might still have one.

Unlikely to matter but here are the details:

Meowmaritus

14 Oct 2022, 03:04

Soarer's is the best performance ones I've used personally. Even for ps/2 keyboards I use a passive 6-pin mini din to 5-pin din converter just so I can use my AT/XT Soarer's on them.

I will forever recommend the Soarer's converters sold by orihalcon on ebay as they are just built super well and a good price.

Edit: It's also worth noting that a passive AT -> ps/2 converter will work just fine since this keyboard uses the AT protocol. Though, that requires you to have a way to connect ps/2 to your PC.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Oct 2022, 04:46

Meowmaritus wrote:

a passive AT -> ps/2 converter will work just fine

a way to connect ps/2 to your PC.
You can "daisy-chain" AT -> PS/2 -> USB with all passive adapters with no drama.

Bjerrk

14 Oct 2022, 07:53

fohat wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 04:46
You can "daisy-chain" AT -> PS/2 -> USB with all passive adapters with no drama.
The F AT will need an active adapter (/converter) in there somewhere, will it not?

In fact, I just had to try it out: with passive AT->PS/2 (i.e. 5-pin DIN to 6-pin mini-DIN) and then passive PS/2->USB, the lights come on but no actual keypresses are registered.

Re: the TMK vs QMK vs Soarer's thing: They're all great, I just happen to like hasu's TMK (or QMK) because I rely on some of the features, such as the awesome mouse keys :D

Icarium

14 Oct 2022, 08:34

Any suggestions on where to buy something TMK/QMK? Do any of your answers change if I would prefer to hide the converter in the case?

Bjerrk

14 Oct 2022, 08:54

Hiding it in the case is, in a sense, even easier :P Then all you need is a pro micro (or teensy or RP2040 or ... ), a few stumps of wire and a soldering iron and you'll have TMK, QMK or Soarer's up and running in no time.

(May be wise to also buy a few 1-2kOhm resistors, although you probably won't need them, see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=23129 )

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2022, 11:18

One downside of putting the converter in the case: you lose the cool original keyboard cable.

My AT's cable was decomposing (ew!) so I installed an Xwhatsit controller and put a USB C socket on the back where the original cable exits. Works well, and I like the convenience, but I miss the big coiled cable I’m used to from my XT.

(Note to self: must upload a photo of that USB C mod. I did a similar one first on my NMB.)

Icarium

14 Oct 2022, 11:37

Meowmaritus wrote:
I will forever recommend the Soarer's converters sold by orihalcon on ebay as they are just built super well and a good price.
And they are still programmable?

Muirium
µ

14 Oct 2022, 12:25

Very.

You've used Soarer's before, right?

Icarium

14 Oct 2022, 16:26

I don't think I have, why?

Meowmaritus

14 Oct 2022, 18:57

Icarium wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 11:37
Meowmaritus wrote:
And they are still programmable?
Yeah you can change the scancodes of all the keys as well as add function layers and macros

Edit: I just realized you may have been asking if the converters I listed specifically are programmable, and yes, they are. Soarer's tools detect it as a Soarer's converter just like if you were to have made one yourself.

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 Oct 2022, 01:57

Holy mackerel ! He has sold 12 hundred of those things !

Does he still make them himself by hand?

John Doe

15 Oct 2022, 02:14

Fucking lord, there're at least 1.2K old keyboards working under Soarers firmware in today's modern computers.

Salute Soarer.

Meowmaritus

15 Oct 2022, 07:54

John Doe wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 02:14
Fucking lord, there're at least 1.2K old keyboards working under Soarers firmware in today's modern computers.

Salute Soarer.
And I'm sure at least some of these people use one converter with 10+ boards like me

Muirium
µ

15 Oct 2022, 10:33

Including me.

Made mine myself, and used it with many many boards over the years.

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 Oct 2022, 15:48

Muirium wrote:

Made mine myself
Yes, the 1200 units refers only to the cables that Orihalcon has sold via ebay, and does not count DT and GH direct sales.

I own at least one of them although I usually use my own boxes, and have several several Teensy modules installed internally (I hate those old fat coiled cables).

With such a large installed base, I can now understand why so many people seem to equate Orihalcon with Soarer.
Attachments
outboard-06.jpg
outboard-06.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 7723 times
outboard-01.jpg
outboard-01.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 7723 times
outboard-05.jpg
outboard-05.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 7723 times

TNT

15 Oct 2022, 15:58

Icarium wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 08:34
Any suggestions on where to buy something TMK/QMK? Do any of your answers change if I would prefer to hide the converter in the case?
May I throw in Hasu's TMK converters? Predestined to hide them inside a separate box or even the case itself, since (afaik) they're mostly barebones PCB solutions. Work with even obscurer boards +Hasu is a great guy (not to say Orihalcon isn't)

TNT

15 Oct 2022, 15:59

Muirium wrote:
Including me.
Spoiler:
Made mine myself, and used it with many many boards over the years.
Also, that is a great-looking converter you got there Mµ!

Muirium
µ

15 Oct 2022, 16:29

Thanks. I eventually gave it its own thick coiled cable. As one should. ;)

EISBÆR

15 Oct 2022, 20:43

If youre uncertain about how to make a converter, take a look at this:
viewtopic.php?t=19035
Really helped me through the process of making mine.

TNT

18 Oct 2022, 19:40

Muirium wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 16:29
Thanks. I eventually gave it its own thick coiled cable. As one should. ;)
How exactly did you make the big ol switch on the top work? Is it a physical switch (as in each wire of the PS2 and DIN port respectively is connected there and turning the knob changes inbetween)?

Muirium
µ

19 Oct 2022, 00:11

It’s a 4 pole 3 position rotary switch. I wired all 4 lines (GND VCC DATA CLOCK) to the rotor and the 3 sockets (there’s terminal RJ45 on the hidden side) to the corresponding outputs. Works great so long as you don’t hotswap keyboards. For that it could use a power switch.

Icarium

28 Oct 2022, 16:57

This is on a Model M instead but it doesn't work. Is that a broken converter or are all the DIN plug thingies potentially incompatible?

jsheradin

28 Oct 2022, 20:20

Icarium wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 16:57
This is on a Model M instead but it doesn't work. Is that a broken converter or are all the DIN plug thingies potentially incompatible?
DIN plugs have been used and abused by most manufacturers of that era with plenty of potential incompatibilities. That being said, IBM pretty much set the standard that took over the connector. Any modern adapter should absolutely work with an IBM board as long as it's the right scan set.

Typical advice is to try a different USB port (no hubs) or a better converter (Soarer's/TMK). What model M specifically are you using that converter with? I think there were a handful of XT variants that might not play nicely with a cheap AT/PS2 to USB adapter.

fohat
Elder Messenger

28 Oct 2022, 20:48

Actually, Soarer originally wrote his firmware for the AT, then expanded it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2510&p=508038&hilit ... er#p508038

That said, I have used simple adapters in your situation with no problems. Are you sure that the keyboard actually works in its own right? And are you getting sufficient current?

Icarium

28 Oct 2022, 22:00

Okay, typing on it right now. Seems this was a loose cable or something.
Also, it is way harder to type on this than I remembered. :D

Muirium
µ

28 Oct 2022, 22:52

Nipples are for… well, actually everyone. But they’re quite optional for typing. :P

Return to “Workshop”