Driving an xwhatsit solenoid driver without a model f controller?

vyquad

28 Oct 2022, 22:15

So i use my model f xt with a solenoid and use an xwhatsit but for it to work, i have to use a dummy controller plugged into a wall to actually provide power as hooking the driver to the same controller as the xt usb converter, it uses too much power and the usb hub (despite being plugged into the wall) goes haywire and stops working. So am i able to get help for this or am i literally the only person who uses a solenoid driver without a model f controller

jsheradin

28 Oct 2022, 22:30

You're still using the driver board in both setups right? Have you tried a shorter USB cable or without a hub?

You could try adding a ~1000-2000uF capacitor between 5V and ground on the solenoid driver or controller. Bigger is better for filter caps but you need to be careful not to exceed inrush current limits. A series inductor on the 5V line between controller and solenoid driver might also help.

vyquad

30 Oct 2022, 15:49

jsheradin wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 22:30
You're still using the driver board in both setups right? Have you tried a shorter USB cable or without a hub?

You could try adding a ~1000-2000uF capacitor between 5V and ground on the solenoid driver or controller. Bigger is better for filter caps but you need to be careful not to exceed inrush current limits. A series inductor on the 5V line between controller and solenoid driver might also help.
Would the capacitor even be needed if the driver already has one?

jsheradin

30 Oct 2022, 16:26

It shouldn't be needed if the existing one is correctly sized, no. If the solenoid triggering is indeed what's causing the hub to go crazy it's worth a shot. The existing one may simply be undersized for this exact application.

vyquad

02 Nov 2022, 00:46

jsheradin wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 16:26
It shouldn't be needed if the existing one is correctly sized, no. If the solenoid triggering is indeed what's causing the hub to go crazy it's worth a shot. The existing one may simply be undersized for this exact application.
Update: it worked but could not provide enough power to actually power the solenoid, it only dimly lit the solenoid driver. also now for some reason the solenoid driver isnt working at all and i cannot tell if its the pro micro or not. The original controller (micro non pro) micro usb header broke off and i replaced it with a pro micro and now it doesnt work when *grounded* to it, not even powered

DMA

05 Nov 2022, 01:42

try _shorter_ driving pulse. Basically, once the core started moving, it doesn't make sense to short USB power to the ground via the coil anymore.

Also try longer recharge time.

vyquad

05 Nov 2022, 03:32

DMA wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 01:42
try _shorter_ driving pulse. Basically, once the core started moving, it doesn't make sense to short USB power to the ground via the coil anymore.

Also try longer recharge time.
are those underscores in purpose? and it doesnt work unless its grounded to usb, trust me ive tried grounding it to the model f case and the solenoid just doesnt work. How would i do a shorter driving pulse? also the solenoid dwell set to 17. My other plan if i cant get a pro micro to work is to put on an xwhatsit or commonsense, but i cant find regular xt keyboard firmware for the commonsense

DMA

05 Nov 2022, 03:58

> How would i do a shorter driving pulse?

IDK, read the docs? Not sure what "dwell time" is. Basically, solenoid throws a crowbar between +5V and ground. So you want the period when solenoid is "on" to be shortest possible.

vyquad

06 Nov 2022, 02:37

DMA wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 03:58
> How would i do a shorter driving pulse?

IDK, read the docs? Not sure what "dwell time" is. Basically, solenoid throws a crowbar between +5V and ground. So you want the period when solenoid is "on" to be shortest possible.
Doing CTRL + F on the docs, no luck. This is with QMK btw if its not already obv. (i am using marfrits IBMPC_USB)

Muirium
µ

06 Nov 2022, 10:07

It’s the morning, yet reading this I’ve the strangest hankering for popcorn…

jsheradin

06 Nov 2022, 15:31

If you're running QMK you can see docs here: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blo ... #solenoids

Default settings shouldn't be causing a controller brown-out but it can't hurt to try some more conservative values.

Return to “Workshop”