Advice on building a F107? (yes, build)

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

16 Dec 2022, 13:28

While I have been designing my case for the IBM 5382, my mind has been drifting to the F107 a lot recently. I want to own the board someday but with them being rarer than hens teeth I have been thinking that the only really way I will be able to own one is, well, building one!

Case is not too much a concern, after all I am designing an IBM 5382 housing, but I am not quite sure how to tackle the internals. I have thought about using donor Model M's and using the function/nav clusters to build the ortholinear sections of the F107, but of course it would be a Model M107 and not exactly a Model F107 (also not sure where I would have to go to find that many broken model M's to use as donors).

Is there a way to recreate/buy the buckling spring assemblies separately and build a capacitive PCB for the makeshift internals? I am used to hand wired matrixes but I am very much a layman regarding capacitive designs, but I have seen people in passing use copper foil to recreate capacitive pads which I think I can do.

Thank you in all advance and I hope I get some clarification on what to expect or what I can do regarding such a project!

Bjerrk

16 Dec 2022, 14:34

I think you would find this post (and the whole thread around it) very informative:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10744&p=510348&hilit=fssk#p510348

It's not the only way of doing things, but should give you a good idea of what's required (as well as some excellent resources to build on!)

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

16 Dec 2022, 15:01

Bjerrk wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 14:34
I think you would find this post (and the whole thread around it) very informative:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10744&p=510348&hilit=fssk#p510348

It's not the only way of doing things, but should give you a good idea of what's required (as well as some excellent resources to build on!)
Thanks!

Return to “Workshop”