3d model of a buckling spring switch?

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

28 Dec 2022, 10:28

Almost finished designing a Model F front and back plate for a future project but I am now facing the prospect of either paying hundreds to get hold of Model F buckling spring assemblies or having to recreate a buckling spring's barrel and flipper assembly to 3d print. Before I try to do this I wanted to quickly check if there is already 3d designs of buckling springs out in the wild. There is one on shapeways but I am unable to contact the designer or get hold of the 3d file and aside from that I cannot find any other examples online.

I am hoping to have a completely homemade F107 sometime near the end of the new year and while it would be easier to just buy the barrels and flippers I want to be able to make the project open source once completed. As always thank you all in advance!

Muirium
µ

28 Dec 2022, 16:03

This sounds a sterling project. Good luck!

The flippers will need to be conductive for capsense to work. Is that something you can do with the print material itself?

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

30 Dec 2022, 10:04

Muirium wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 16:03
This sounds a sterling project. Good luck!

The flippers will need to be conductive for capsense to work. Is that something you can do with the print material itself?
Thanks! As far as I am aware you can get conductive filament for FDM printers, even metal filament that you can heat treat and polish. However I have recently scored a SLA 3d printer due to its bargain price and will have to work with resin filaments which, as far as I am aware, are not available as a conductive material.

But if my understanding is correct with capacitive sensors the flipper does not nessasairly have to be a solid conductive material. I could add a copper lining to the bottom of each flipper to get them to operate.

Muirium
µ

30 Dec 2022, 17:25

Correct. Only the bottom of the flipper, directly above the PCB, really matters for capsense. The downside I can think of with a thin conductive layer is wearing off with use. Capsense controllers are fairly forgiving—every key is effectively analog, as Pandrew’s signal meter shows—but if a thin conductive layer disintegrates with time, it will eventually disable the key until opened and replaced.

These are moving parts so there is always wear. IBM put a layer of resistant solder mask (?) on top of their sense pads on the PCB, which I gather give them some protection from wear and tear from the flipper above. The OG flippers are of course conductive throughout so no need to worry about a thin outer surface.

Return to “Workshop”