Repairing a Drop CTRL (Hot-Swappable) PCB

.!?

27 Apr 2023, 04:48

Hi, I need a little guidance here. My PCB has a small crack in it, and this black bar holding these two connectors is loose as a result. Unless pressure is applied to it, the period key either doesn't register or chatters. I was able to get the key working normally again by placing a folded piece of paper between the black bar and the bottom plate. Still, I was wondering how I would go about repairing it. I tried looking up some guides but I'm honestly lost still, I'm unsure how to apply them to this situation and I'm new to this sort of thing in general anyways.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (387.29 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

Findecanor

27 Apr 2023, 12:04

Has the solder pad come loose from the PCB?

If so, then there is not much you can do except perhaps apply some thin superglue underneath it. But that is something that I wouldn't try without using a microscope and some really precise tools.

These hot-swap sockets are really infamous for breaking like this.

.!?

27 Apr 2023, 14:03

Yeah, the solder pad is loose. Thanks for the help, for now I'll just hope it keeps working like this.

I don't think I'll be going with hot-swap boards again in the future. Not that I'm extremely bent out of shape about it, but modding a custom keyboard "for real" sounds like a fun project anyways; especially if hot-swap boards aren't going to be reliable enough to provide any real convenience anyways.

SunshineRag_DT

28 Apr 2023, 06:16

Drop ALT and CTRL are notorious for loose sockets. They really dont have a good joint connection on the hot swap pads. When inserting keys you really need to ensure you have them seated properly before the switch get shoved in. I have repaired over 15 of these with one having 10 or more popped sockets.

But cracking the board is a new one. That socket will keep wiggling as you type and it will eventually pop the pad off. When that happens you will have to super glue it, but dont get any on the fingers of the socket and then you could bodge the row or column to the next one by following the traces. But in the long run that board is probably honked.

Return to “Workshop”