Detachable SDL cable for IBM M13?

engr

05 Oct 2023, 21:58

I have seen some topics on detachable USB cable mods for M13, but what about a detachable Y-cable?
I am wondering how difficult it would be to drop in an SDL socket...

clickykeyboards

06 Oct 2023, 01:12

Yes, one could take a SDL to dual ps/2 cable keyboard + mouse https://www.clickykeyboards.com/product ... ouse-used/ and modify the keyboard-facing end of the cable work with the embedded controller inside the model M13.

Last week, I recently worked on another model M13 (13H6705) and took lots of photos of the process. https://www.facebook.com/ClickyKeyboards/photos

In these 3 photos you can see the connector on the controller which attaches to the keyboard cable (white connector, 6 pins)
IMG_3817.jpeg
IMG_3817.jpeg (367.51 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
IMG_3818.jpeg
IMG_3818.jpeg (403.1 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
IMG_3823.jpeg
IMG_3823.jpeg (459.56 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
There is not much extra real estate on the PCB to properly solder on a female SDL connector, but one could probably cut off the end of the SDL dual head Y cable and solder directly to the 6 pins on the model M13 controller. Would certainly be one solution to the general problem found in many post 1993+ model M and model M13 keyboards where the plastic sheathing of the cable breaks down is often found to be worn, cracked and broken due to a poor choice of plasticizer of the cable plastic sheathing.

engr

06 Oct 2023, 17:52

clickykeyboards wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 01:12
There is not much extra real estate on the PCB to properly solder on a female SDL connector, but one could probably cut off the end of the SDL dual head Y cable and solder directly to the 6 pins on the model M13 controller.
That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping I could add an SDL connector to M13. Is the PCB rigidly attached to the case? Would it be possible to secure a female SDL connector to the plastic case and run flexible wires from the connector to the header(s) on the PCB, or would the connector physically interfere with other components on the PCB?

If the goal is simply replacing the old cable, then I am guessing one of these attached cables from Unicomp would do the job. But I really want to make it detachable.

Return to “Workshop”