Help with IBM F122 Firmware (SMD controller, not Ellipse)

AngryCockroach

17 Nov 2023, 18:14

Hi,

I restored an old IBM F122 keyboard but sadly the original controller does not work so I cannot use a Soarer converter like I did on my other Model M or F XT keyboards.

But I have an SMD Model F Controller Rev. 1.0 which works, but I do not know how to configure it. I read through a lot of guides and threads but I am not sure which firmware is the correct one, there are so many. I read pandrew firmware is very good for the F122 but the threads are already old. I also read that VIA would be simpler to configure, but I do not know if this works well on the old F122.

Maybe someone could help where to find the correct firmware and tools to flash and configure. Thanks very much :-)
Groß (IMG_3068).jpeg
Groß (IMG_3068).jpeg (324.86 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
Edit: QMK Toolbox says: No HID device connected but I am typing on the F122...
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-17 um 18.15.07.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-17 um 18.15.07.png (591.2 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Last edited by AngryCockroach on 18 Nov 2023, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2023, 18:21

QMK Toolbox is all about flashing a new firmware. You’re not in Device Firmware Update mode so it has nothing to report.

Do you know which firmware your controller came preloaded with? It must be running something, or you couldn’t type with it. ;)

AngryCockroach

17 Nov 2023, 18:22

That is another issue: I did not find a way to find out which firmware is on the controller right now...

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2023, 18:24

Overwriting it is easy enough. There should be a couple of pins to short on the PCB which will enter DFU.

Did you get any documentation? Where did you buy it?

AngryCockroach

17 Nov 2023, 18:30

But with which firmware should I overwrite it?

I think it is this board: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24597
I did buy it online together with the keyboard from a vintage keyboard guy here in Germany.

Muirium
µ

17 Nov 2023, 21:03

Well, that’s Pandrew’s thread so my guess is it’s running (his capsense port of) QMK. Doesn’t actually matter which firmware, as you’ll need to replace it to modify the layout, which is presumably your goal.

My advice in your case? Well, what you want is actually quite simple. But the many choices now available all overlap in ways which are taxing to describe. :P

I’m on my phone now so can’t see if Pandrew’s configurator has IBM F122 in its definitions. Load it up on your desktop and have a look through the dropdown menu. DO NOT use the ones for Ellipse’s Chinese Model F remakes, they are not the same matrix.

VIAL is another option, which might work much more to your taste. Hopefully someone else can walk you through it. I’ve never used it myself.

Moderator’s note: I’ll edit your thread title a bit to make it more obvious this isn’t yet another Ellipse support question.

AngryCockroach

18 Nov 2023, 07:43

Thanks very much!
I found pandew config yesterday in another thread but now I am more certain that I can flash it. It has the F122 universal firmware I need to use.

I also found the key combination how to put the controller in bootloader mode.
By default it is F9 on the left F buttons (the left outer key on the bottom) and r

AngryCockroach

18 Nov 2023, 09:35

Works great.
I did the config with Pandrew Config and flashed it with QMK Toolbox.

Here a screenshot for other people with the same problem.
Screenshot_2023-11-18 09.34.05_d1FUFg.png
Screenshot_2023-11-18 09.34.05_d1FUFg.png (522.25 KiB) Viewed 4382 times

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2023, 09:40

Now you're talking! :D

QMK's configurator is very powerful. I just wish I could lock it to GMK Space Cadet theme as the random colour sets it loads up are a whole stable full of nauseous unicorns. :lol:

If you're like me, you'll wind up iterating your layout quite a bit. Be careful not to lock yourself out by forgetting the RESET (enter DFU mode) key somewhere. It's best to tuck it away on a layer so you never hit it accidentally, as it disables your keyboard until you either flash a new firmware or pull the USB cable out. :P

These controllers all have pins to reset them manually if you really have to, but opening up the keyboard just to flash it again is a pain you'll want to avoid. Remember Reset!

Muirium
µ

18 Nov 2023, 10:04

Here's how I do it on my Kishsaver, where every key is hot real estate!
µKishsaver Reset Sequence.png
µKishsaver Reset Sequence.png (121.93 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
µKishsaver.json.zip
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
I think I learned the "hide a layer behind Fn + Spacebar" trick from the QMK configurator's default layouts, actually. It's a good one. This way Reset needs 3 keys held down simultaneously: Fn Space R, which simply never happens in regular use. You don't want Reset putting your keyboard under you when you're working.

AngryCockroach

18 Nov 2023, 16:44

Yes, I have the Reset key in layer 1.
And I iterated quite a lot already with my M122 keyboards. So I did only minor changes with the F122.

AngryCockroach

03 Dec 2023, 18:45

Here is my restauration video of my F122
https://youtu.be/NFTTLPsvnrw?si=DB0e-uaYPKmoizhh

It is in German but if enough people are interested I might translate it.

Return to “Workshop”