Rasberry PI

bnitch

01 Nov 2012, 16:55

Has anyone ever tried to put a Rasberry PI into the quest for adding layers to a usb keyboard? I know its like putting a computer between a computer but they are as cheap as the Arduino Uno and have two usb ports. I'm just throwing this out there I don't have that much knowleadge into these type things so please be kind to an old man.

fossala
Elite +1

01 Nov 2012, 16:57

I would guess the power draw wouldn't make it desirable.

RC-1140

01 Nov 2012, 20:21

The only thing you could more easily do is connecting the matrix directly to the GPIO pins of the Raspberry Pi. You couldn't use it easily to connect to a PS/2 keyboard using the GPIO header. And even if you managed to connect a keyboard to it using the GPIO pins, you would have trouble connecting it to a different computer. You have no way of getting an USB-Output, and outputting PS/2 is at least as hard as inputting PS/2. The biggest problem is, that the Raspberry Pi uses 3.3V Logic, while PS/2 and most ICs use 5V logic.

bnitch

01 Nov 2012, 21:52

Thanks, I thought it might be a stupid idea but what the heck.

Vierax

01 Nov 2012, 23:28

If you search specifically for an ARM board, there is the new Teensy 3 http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3.html

IvanIvanovich

01 Nov 2012, 23:53

I was actually wondering the feasibility of this the other day. I have an old M7 switch based board with no controller. I was thinking it might be neat to put into some sort of retro inspired C64 style 'pc' and just hooking the 16 pin matrix to gpio direct. I just figure to use the Rpi as the basis with some sort of Commodore/Amiga emulator (if something suitable is available for it). What would be involved with that if it could be done?

Vierax

02 Nov 2012, 00:04

something like the C64x http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx but with an ARM Rπ… It makes me the idea of modding my CPC464 with a Rπ and an LCD screen :D maybe it ever be made.

RC-1140

02 Nov 2012, 00:07

Actually not too much. You would need to connect the matrix to the GPIO, and then write a program, that registers the keypresses, registers as a event device and returns scancodes (as this event device), and you would be done. You only have to install VICE then (a linux Commodore Emulator). Actually I have been thinking about this for a very long time (shortly after my Pi arrived), and I'm still willing to place a Raspberry Pi inside a Model M Terminal keyboard. I still can't decide whether I want to go the easy way, and use a Teensy, or whether I want to try learning C on the Raspberry Pi while trying to figure out a way to easily connect the matrix foil cables to the Raspberry Pi.

Return to “Workshop”