Split spacebar "custom" keyboard?

ne0phyte
Toast.

06 Dec 2012, 00:47

Hey,

I've been using space as modifier at work to have arrow keys like on the KBT Pure and found that surprisingly convenient to use.

Soo.. I'm thinking of building a custom keyboard. I don't have the time nor money for a custom PCB so I'm going to use an ISO G80-3000 PCB, cut it down to 60%, modify the layout to ANSI and add the split spacebar.
I'll get a teensy and will try to make my first own keyboard :mrgreen: (I doubt it will work out, but I will at least try :roll: )
The keys aren't mounted yet and this is just my initial idea for a basic layout which doesn't really take use of the three modkeys yet. It uses standard keycaps except for two additional shift keys and one 1.25" key.

Both "spacebars" will work as space and the green Alt key will either be dead (ust as fn key) or maybe a windows key.
I want to keep the physical changes to a minimum for now.

The green key is meant to be pressed once and the next keypress within the number row will return the corresponding function key scancode because I think its kinda uncomfortable to keep it pressed while pushing Alt+F4 or Ctrl+F11.

I don't have enough stabilizers yet and I'm not sure how to mount the switches as I'll have to drill some new holes where already are holes.

Does anyone have some tips as for the mounting of the switches and where to get stabilizers?
Oh and has anyone by chance build anything similar to this yet?

suka
frobiac

06 Dec 2012, 07:52

Originally I also experimented with adding switches to an existing pcb: In the upper MX numpads I replaced the double-spaced locations of return and plus with two single keys each to gain a 4x6 matrix layout:

If you get all the right drill sizes and have a steady hand and a good alignment guide it is not that difficult to put new switches on the board - repairing the damage to existing traces might be a different story :D If you're lucky there isn't too much to do underneath the spacebar, however.

The plastic part of the stabilizers that is mounted on the pcb shouldn't be a problem, I have plenty of spares - but I do not know whether I have any metal pieces that fit your keycaps.

Return to “Workshop”