Changin switches from ortek mk-84. Cleaning problem.

maxrunner

03 Mar 2013, 22:06

So after desoldering all switches from the ortek mk-84 board(i'm going to put all blue alps one's), it seems to be really dirty and in the last image in the lower right one of the solder joints seems to be missing some of the metal contact material. My questions are:
1- what's the best way to clean it, i already applied some isopropyl alcohol but it seems i need some tissue to remove some of the flux and particles in there, but i don't know what's the best type for this, i'm considering going to an electric technician for some help if it's necessary.
2- will that lower solder joint going to give any problems if i solder the new switch above it?if yes, what the best way to fix this?

regards,

Mrinterface

03 Mar 2013, 23:15

maxrunner wrote:So after desoldering all switches from the ortek mk-84 board(i'm going to put all blue alps one's), it seems to be really dirty and in the last image in the lower right one of the solder joints seems to be missing some of the metal contact material. My questions are:
1- what's the best way to clean it, i already applied some isopropyl alcohol but it seems i need some tissue to remove some of the flux and particles in there, but i don't know what's the best type for this, i'm considering going to an electric technician for some help if it's necessary.
2- will that lower solder joint going to give any problems if i solder the new switch above it?if yes, what the best way to fix this?

regards,
1. Contact spray.. That's what I would use.
2. Patch it if it malfunctions. See

maxrunner

03 Mar 2013, 23:25

Hey there! Thanks for answering. So Contact Spray is good to clean this type of pcbs?Guess i need to get one then. Still need to use some tissues right?which ones do you advise?
Has for the other going to see the movie and report back today or tomorrow.
Thanks for answering.

tlt

03 Mar 2013, 23:33

If there are no components left on it you can safely use water and washing up detergent. If there are components on it I put isopropyl alcohol in a flower sprayer and totally drain it, letting it pore from one end to the other and down into a bucket. You can than fill the can from the bucket and do it again if needed.

maxrunner

04 Mar 2013, 00:28

tlt wrote:If there are no components left on it you can safely use water and washing up detergent. If there are components on it I put isopropyl alcohol in a flower sprayer and totally drain it, letting it pore from one end to the other and down into a bucket. You can than fill the can from the bucket and do it again if needed.

Really you can literally drain the alcohool on it with the components?:P

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Mar 2013, 00:44

Pure isopropyl doesn't leave residue, it evaporates completely.

maxrunner

04 Mar 2013, 01:05

But doesnt it leave stains too?

tlt

04 Mar 2013, 07:39

No, it evaporates fast and doesn't leave anything. But you might be moving dirt that was already on the board, that's way I use a lot of it to wash the dirt off the board.

Maybe you can use a toothbrush to rub some if it takes the alcohol, have not tried that myself.

Let it dry for a while before you connect any power source.

Jmneuv

04 Mar 2013, 10:09

Doesn't such ample use of isopropyl get a little expensive?

maxrunner

04 Mar 2013, 11:32

Well if you refill the bottle with the drained alchool probably not.

tlt

04 Mar 2013, 12:33

maxrunner wrote:Well if you refill the bottle with the drained alchool probably not.
Exactly, just use a small amount and recycle it. ~100ml might be enough.

maxrunner

04 Mar 2013, 15:16

Still need to get that flower sprayer and an appropriate bucket type thing for it.

Niall

05 Mar 2013, 11:24

Jmneuv wrote:Doesn't such ample use of isopropyl get a little expensive?
The isopropyl should be reusable for most situations (assuming you filter it), but even if you choose not to filter it really depends on how much you bought and for what price. 5L Of isopropyl can be bought on ebay for £10 (£8 postage), while smaller sizes such as 100ml and 250ml often sell for £3.70 and £4.80 respectively.

maxrunner

05 Mar 2013, 20:52

Got the sprayer, doesn't seem to be the best quality but it works lol

maxrunner

06 Mar 2013, 03:16

Mrinterface wrote:
maxrunner wrote:So after desoldering all switches from the ortek mk-84 board(i'm going to put all blue alps one's), it seems to be really dirty and in the last image in the lower right one of the solder joints seems to be missing some of the metal contact material. My questions are:

regards,
1. Contact spray.. That's what I would use.
2. Patch it if it malfunctions. See
Finally watched this. But if i need to patch it i need a multimeter rand i didnt quite follow how to test if its working good or where to connect the wire.

maxrunner

09 Mar 2013, 22:49

Do light scratches on the board cause problems?Anyway i'm asking because i've been using a toothbrush to clean it with isopropyl alcohool...

tlt

09 Mar 2013, 23:27

Ok, so you got scratches by using a toothbrush? I don't think it's going to cause problems. The top layer is just a varnish to protect the copper lanes called "solder mask", it's not needed for the pcb to work. Old or home made pcbs don't have it and works fine. You can actually scratch of the solder mask with a scalpel or something if you need a new place on the copper to solder on when the solder pad is damaged. Just be carful not to cut any lanes by mistake. :-)

maxrunner

09 Mar 2013, 23:59

i dont think it was the toothbrush that scratched the board, i was just cleaning(which using a toothbrush seems to take forever) it and noticed. Oh the copper lanes are those metal light greener lines right?

tlt

10 Mar 2013, 00:02

Yes, that's copper under the lighter parts of the solder mask.

maxrunner

10 Mar 2013, 00:16

oh ok, so the solder mask also protects in case some solder falls above those lines? so cleaning the board is just for aesthetics?

tlt

10 Mar 2013, 00:35

The surfaces that you are going to solder on needs to be clean other than that it's not needed. Last time a cleaned a whole pcb with components, I did it to get ride of the smoke smell. Usually I blow the dust of with compressed air and try not to mess to much with it so I don't break anything.

maxrunner

10 Mar 2013, 01:18

I'm going to try using the drain method...

Return to “Workshop”