Aluminium Filco/Phantom Case - PROTOTYPE PICS IN!!!

mrog

06 Jun 2013, 12:25

Looking forward to this, would prefer using stock filco plate, but would use your if price was too excessive.

Hope you are doing well in your exams, goodluck!

photekq
Cherry Picker

06 Jun 2013, 13:32

mrog wrote:Looking forward to this, would prefer using stock filco plate, but would use your if price was too excessive.

Hope you are doing well in your exams, goodluck!
Thank you! The exams have gone well so far. Next week is the last full week of exams but I still have a few afterwards. The exams will end on the 24th of June and then I should be able to get the prototype made fairly shortly after.

Acanthophis

06 Jun 2013, 14:37

photekq wrote:The exams will end on the 24th of June and then I should be able to get the prototype made fairly shortly after.

Toast

06 Jun 2013, 23:11

:D This project looks great. For a bit now I've been looking into making an acrylic case/custom plate for a custom PCB of my own make. This could work for me too though if you do a group buy.

I noticed in the first pics your custom plate allows for Stepped and non-Stepped Caps Lock positions but not in a later pic you posted. Are you going to keep that as a feature of the custom plate?

photekq
Cherry Picker

06 Jun 2013, 23:18

Toast wrote::D This project looks great. For a bit now I've been looking into making an acrylic case/custom plate for a custom PCB of my own make. This could work for me too though if you do a group buy.

I noticed in the first pics your custom plate allows for Stepped and non-Stepped Caps Lock positions but not in a later pic you posted. Are you going to keep that as a feature of the custom plate?
Yes both will be supported.

It may not be GB format but this doesn't mean it'll be more expensive. We'll see.

Here are some pics btw. I posted them on GH but forgot to post here. They show the design as it is bar a few minor changes. These pictures show it's 32mm at the front, it's now 27mm. The plate mount is also slightly different.

rindorbrot

06 Jun 2013, 23:24

But on GH you also wrote that you lowered the case a bit since the 32mm are quite high at the front.
You should maybe update the pictures with that info ;)

Toast

06 Jun 2013, 23:25

That's looking amazing. I don't know if you're keeping track somewhere but count me in for one. : ] Just to make sure I understand... you're offering different combos of stuff so to speak right?

Like, for example.... Someone could order a winkey version of the case, with a plate that supports 1.25u modifiers and a stepped caps lock?

photekq
Cherry Picker

06 Jun 2013, 23:29

Toast wrote:That's looking amazing. I don't know if you're keeping track somewhere but count me in for one. : ] Just to make sure I understand... you're offering different combos of stuff so to speak right?

Like, for example.... Someone could order a winkey version of the case, with a plate that supports 1.25u modifiers and a stepped caps lock?
Yes. That's precisely how I would like to do it.
rindorbrot wrote:But on GH you also wrote that you lowered the case a bit since the 32mm are quite high at the front.
You should maybe update the pictures with that info ;)
I wrote that above the images. I'm on my laptop atm so I cannot access Solidworks & update the pictures.

photekq
Cherry Picker

19 Jun 2013, 09:04

Absolute final update before the prototype gets made - I mean it this time. Exams will be completely over on monday and then I will be focusing on getting this made as soon as humanly possible.

Here's the update : Brass plate changed so that it can be securely mounted AND show through the bottom without making the case much thicker. The case is 25mm at the front now and will be about 27mm with rubber feet. Below you can see the new plate design.

Last edited by photekq on 20 Jun 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

dirge

19 Jun 2013, 10:02

It looks great, just can it get any thinner ;) great idea on the plate insert, but how does the cost balance up with a design without it?

photekq
Cherry Picker

19 Jun 2013, 12:08

dirge wrote:It looks great, just can it get any thinner ;) great idea on the plate insert, but how does the cost balance up with a design without it?
Price difference between a case with the brass and without the brass probably isn't too big. Maybe £50 tops? I still haven't got a final quote on this due to exams so I can't say for sure. The extra machining is practically no cost at all - it's just the brass itself that will cost a bit of money.

Also, I'm afraid it can't get any thinner. It's really hard to make it thin due to a few things :
1. The fucking teensy
2. The fucking teensy
3. The fucking teensy
4. usb breakout board mount
5. brass plate

The usb mount and brass plate are things I've been set on from (near) the start so I really don't want to remove them to make it thinner.. without them it would be practically the same as boost's case.. and the teensy i can't do anything about.

dirge

19 Jun 2013, 12:50

Not carve around where the teensy is? and a channel for the cable?

Anyway, concentrate on your exams not keyboards!

photekq
Cherry Picker

19 Jun 2013, 12:59

I phrased it wrong.. The teensy is bad because it means i've got to have the breakout board mount in order to have a detachable cable. This means that the space for the pcb can't be parallel to the top of the case (like most angled korean boards). This means i've got to make the case thicker to accommodate a substantial brass plate.

At the moment I'd rather be concentrating on keyboards. I've got one exam left and it's further maths. Luckily i've got all week to revise so I can have a little bit of a break.

photekq
Cherry Picker

24 Jun 2013, 12:48

Just to let you know...

EXAMS ARE OVER!

photekq
Cherry Picker

25 Jun 2013, 23:06

Quite a huge update.

Got a final quote for £300 including materials for the three CNC parts. He just needs to order some parts from China which will take a week or two. I should be getting it machined in just over two weeks!

(Note that this is the prototyping cost and if I ever sell these they will most likely be cheaper)

Still haven't found anywhere to get anodising/laser cutting done but I'll be on the hunt. If anyone knows anywhere within the UK it'd be appreciated if you could let me know.

Acanthophis

26 Jun 2013, 01:40

I like your pace.
photekq wrote:(Note that this is the prototyping cost and when I'm going to sell these they will most likely be cheaper)
FTFY ;)

mrog

26 Jun 2013, 11:01

Nice work, can't wait to see your prototype!

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jul 2013, 00:21

The production of the prototype has started!!!!!! The plate is the first part.. Only the small text has been done so far, large text will be done tonight or tomorrow. I'll ofc update with pictures once it's done.

I'm so happy to be seeing this become a reality. I cannot wait until the rest of the pieces are finished!

pasph

28 Jul 2013, 01:14

Impressive!
Do you think you'll ever sell these?

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jul 2013, 01:24

pasph wrote:Impressive!
Do you think you'll ever sell these?
I don't think so. If I do they will be extremely limited - most likely only 3-5.

photekq
Cherry Picker

28 Jul 2013, 02:29

TEK-80 text has been added!

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 Jul 2013, 00:39

mtl

29 Jul 2013, 01:48

Lookin' good!

dirge

29 Jul 2013, 08:49

moar pics!winkeyless! drool

photekq
Cherry Picker

29 Jul 2013, 10:34

dirge wrote:moar pics!winkeyless! drool
No more pics 'til next week I'm afraid. Although my machinist is absolutely brilliant he has a limitation.. He can only do this on weekends :lol:

photekq
Cherry Picker

30 Jul 2013, 07:37

Just a note : estimated weight is 3.5kg which is a little over the weight of a 456GT.

photekq
Cherry Picker

30 Jul 2013, 12:19

The two plates I ordered have arrived. Just need to get them anodised.

Muirium
µ

30 Jul 2013, 12:31

What colour have you got in mind, Photekq? I think the bare metal look works just perfectly with those subtle caps. (Indeed, it's along the same lines as I'm up to.)

photekq
Cherry Picker

30 Jul 2013, 12:35

Muirium wrote:What colour have you got in mind, Photekq? I think the bare metal look works just perfectly with those subtle caps. (Indeed, it's along the same lines as I'm up to.)
Slightly darker than this :

czarek

07 Aug 2013, 13:02

Guys, could you share the CAD files maybe? I run a small machine shop as a hobby, mostly doing small model parts and engravings for my friends. I do have CNC Mill with 50x30 working area which is suitable for works in any material from wood up to steel. I also have a CNC laser which is better for plastics. Apart from those I am now converting manual lathe into full automatic and this should be ready in next couple of weeks.
I was thinking maybe I could help you out machining those cases? The only problem is I don't have any means to anodize aluminium in my workshop, but if we get couple of those cases I could use local company to do that for us.
Also, I'm based in Poland so it will be much cheaper to ship around Europe than from Asia or America.

Return to “Workshop”