Building a custom keyboard from the ground up

Muirium
µ

11 Jun 2013, 18:36

matt3o wrote:case is in production... :)
Action time!

I hope you brought your camera.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jun 2013, 19:24

another small update... just received the alps caps for the whitefox! :D

Paranoid

11 Jun 2013, 19:59

What kind of alps caps did you get? :)

Halvar

11 Jun 2013, 20:30

:shock: Gosh -- are you backing out of the maxi taobao GB then?

Muirium
µ

11 Jun 2013, 20:35

I think you underestimate the scale of Matteo's custom ambitions, Halvar. He's set on world domination!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Jun 2013, 20:39

Paranoid wrote:What kind of alps caps did you get? :)
from a focus. abs double shot, a bit thin but very nice red/blue/green legend mods. I'll post pictures later.
Halvar wrote::shock: Gosh -- are you backing out of the maxi taobao GB then?
hell no!
Muirium wrote:I think you underestimate the scale of Matteo's custom ambitions, Halvar. He's set on world domination!
^^
THIS! :)

Halvar

11 Jun 2013, 21:43

Ha ha, I'm relieved to read this.

I'll still hang on to the delusion that you started a group buy for essentially one right SHIFT keycap from the other end of the world. Just because it's such a nice thought. ;)

pasph

11 Jun 2013, 23:40

I'm undecided between standard iso
and this hybrid

Muirium
µ

11 Jun 2013, 23:49

Second one's better, to me. Backspace in its right place, and no big ISO enter. But then I would say that, being an HHKB fan.

Designed function layers?

7bit

11 Jun 2013, 23:52

pasph wrote:Image
Split up space bar and Enter to get a really innovative layout!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jun 2013, 00:05

I tried that return positioning and it didn't work for me... but if I were you I'd take both :)

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2013, 01:33

Apparently I can get some sweet fresh MX greens from 7bit in early August; well before the blues come in stock. Are greens any quieter than blues? (I hear they're less tactile feeling, as the bump mechanism is identical but the spring is stronger.) One of the most appealing things about Matteo's design, for me, is how it sounds with clicky switches.

I've no greens, or the appropriate spring to make a ghetto green, to play around with. The stiffer feel does intrigue me.

7bit

12 Jun 2013, 08:52

Greens are louder and click more constantly.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jun 2013, 09:42

lovely lovely caps
20130612_091808_.jpg
20130612_091808_.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 4930 times

Halvar

12 Jun 2013, 10:20

I don't know how our ancestors came up with ideas like this enter key, but otherwise, these look very nice.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jun 2013, 12:21

embrace the power of the BIG-BIG enter key! :D

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2013, 13:00

Big enter may well have been to do with how big a deal it was to make a new line back in the old days:
Literally "carriage return". On a manual, like this one here (very similar to the typewriter I learned to type on) you had to take your hand off the keyboard and slug that big handle right across, every single line you typed. I imagine that the first electric keyboards borrowed the sense of ENTER! from the very procedure they made obsolete.

And once something has traction, it tends to stick around a while.

djcinek

12 Jun 2013, 17:50

Muirium wrote:I imagine that the first electric keyboards borrowed the sense of ENTER! from the very procedure they made obsolete.
It was rather (carriage) RETURN ;-) But yes, it must be then...

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2013, 17:59

djcinek wrote: It was rather (carriage) RETURN ;-) But yes, it must be then...
Indeed, there is a difference between enter and return. I even have a key for each on my layout for this project. Enter (the up chevron with a line across the top) does the same thing as return without inserting a new line. Handy in a spreadsheet cell or a dialog box when you want to interact with the cell / text field logic once you've entered your text. Enter is the only key in the whole number pad that I use regularly at all. Way down in bottom right, and so too my design.

Yet I forever call return enter when it comes to words instead of fingers!
7bit wrote:Greens are louder and click more constantly.
That is literally all I needed to hear. I'll fire up an order once my plate emerges from the laser.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jun 2013, 18:13

is anyone interested in a 15x7 layout? I have the case for that and I could laser cut the plate for you. the original keyboard was probably a pos. the end result would be pretty pro I'd say

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2013, 18:22

<Starts getting wild ideas about two row 1s. That'll give me all the thumb reachable modifiers two hands could ever need. It's a metal case?>

How is your trial run going?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Jun 2013, 18:32

Muirium wrote:<Starts getting wild ideas about two row 1s. That'll give me all the thumb reachable modifiers two hands could ever need. It's a metal case?>
Top plastic, bottom metal. I'll take some pictures. The good part is that I can have the plate laser cut in a way that takes all the original standoffs, so the end result would be seamless. Also there would be enough room for wireless and battery if needed.
Muirium wrote:How is your trial run going?
Still waiting for some parts to reach me. if there's something that I learned is that you can't rush custom keyboard building.

Muirium
µ

12 Jun 2013, 18:43

matt3o wrote:
Muirium wrote:<Starts getting wild ideas about two row 1s. That'll give me all the thumb reachable modifiers two hands could ever need. It's a metal case?>
Top plastic, bottom metal. I'll take some pictures. The good part is that I can have the plate laser cut in a way that takes all the original standoffs, so the end result would be seamless. Also there would be enough room for wireless and battery if needed.
You know me well! If I've the $bank for it in addition to my own…
matt3o wrote:
Muirium wrote:How is your trial run going?
Still waiting for some parts to reach me. if there's something that I learned is that you can't rush custom keyboard building.
Probably a good thing, given how appealing it is try to everything, all at once!

pasph

12 Jun 2013, 23:35

7bit wrote:
pasph wrote:Image
Split up space bar and Enter to get a really innovative layout!
Like these?

pasph

12 Jun 2013, 23:47

@matt3o
There's a place near you that can anodize the case in same color at a reasonable price?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Jun 2013, 00:03

pasph wrote:@matt3o
There's a place near you that can anodize the case in same color at a reasonable price?
yes, problem is quantity as always. these companies don't like to work on small numbers and if they do they make it pretty pricey. consider that over 100 cases I've got a quote of just 2 euros per piece for anodization, but nobody helps you for just few samples.

I'm toying with the idea of doing that at home... it's not actually that complex.
Last edited by matt3o on 13 Jun 2013, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

13 Jun 2013, 00:06

Audacious! What kind of colours are available that way, do you think?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Jun 2013, 00:15

Muirium wrote:Audacious! What kind of colours are available that way, do you think?
anodizing at home? the most common are black, blue, red, silver... but there's no limit, you can mix them the way you want.

pasph

13 Jun 2013, 00:21

You need space and equipment (pricey? i think near $500?)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Jun 2013, 00:25

pasph wrote:You need space and equipment (pricey?)
The most expensive equipment I could think of is the power source. Of course if you plan to do that for just 1 case it might not worth the effort.

Return to “Workshop”